Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Does UHC medicaid give free sneakers?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

esther11

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 7:57 pm
Why don’t you call UHC and ask?

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 8:06 pm
amother wrote:
Well then BH I don't qualify! I have a teen with bedwetting issues but I assume that wouldn't qualify (I wouldn't stick a pamper on her either way)

If the teen wears pullups at night then its possible that she qualifies.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 8:10 pm
These things do work with ages though. for example, have a baby with a gtube and wanted to get chux for her. her nurses kept on telling me that for sure I can get it from insurance all her other patients do. (oh, one of them was darshening that for sure she can also get pampers)
turns out, only after a certain age you can get the chucks.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 8:23 pm
amother wrote:
Pause!
You can get free pampers on medicaid???? I have 2 kids in pampers and this would be incredible for me if it's true!
m
No. Whoever was getting it must have been involved in a scam. Medicaid typically only covers diapers for children older than 5 (who obviously need it for medical reasons) I've seen rare cases of children under 5 getting diapers covered but they had to have severe malabsorption issues to qualify. Definitely better not to qualify

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 8:58 pm
pesek zman wrote:
m
No. Whoever was getting it must have been involved in a scam. Medicaid typically only covers diapers for children older than 5 (who obviously need it for medical reasons) I've seen rare cases of children under 5 getting diapers covered but they had to have severe malabsorption issues to qualify. Definitely better not to qualify

Agreed!

I'm a service coordinator for elderly and/or disabled people. Medicaid does pay for their incontinence supplies: diapers, pull-ups, Chuck's, and gloves, but you don't want to be in that place. Medicaid will also pay for over the counter medications that are prescribed by a doctor, but they have to be backed up by a valid doctors order.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 9:11 pm
amother wrote:
From what I understand, the generic equivalent of tylenol and advil are covered in the medicaid formulary, with a doctor's prescritpion, but I never heard of pampers. Yes, it would be helpful to a lot of people if it were true! Maybe someone could enlighten us?

If your child is over 3 you can get pampers and pullups from fidelis. You need a rx from your pediatrician

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 10:15 pm
Frustrating. Just because we have private insurance does that mean I can afford all this stuff that my insurance doesn't cover but medicaid does! We get it through work but its not like we make tons. My doctor prescribed me generic tylenol. They didn't cover it. I was shocked that the doctor prescribed it (didn't know that was what she wrote the script for, I couldn't read the handwriting! She said it was a pain med for an injury...) when the pharmacist said that I would have to pay more out of pocket than buying off the shelf. Totally was not covered... Now I know why the doctor wrote it out. I was so confused. I wish my insurance would cover all this.
My kid is over 4 and still wears diapers overnight and isn't so well trained during the day either. But insurance won't pay for anything like pampers... why would they?

UGH!

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 11:54 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
This smells fishy to me. I remember a woman in my old neighborhood who got pampers through Medicaid, even though she didn't have kids in diapers. She had a prescription that said one of her children needed six five and size six pampers. She would then sell them by the case for cash. $20 a case. And that same woman's relative thought I was insane that I paid for Tylenol or Advil. She said Medicaid pays for everything ... uh... yeh... if you cheat and commit fraud. This is not what these programs are meant for.

Not responding to the rest of this, only the bolded - I once took my DD to a doctor for strep or something that came with a high fever and a lot of pain. He sent the rx straight to the pharmacy and when it came I was surprised to find a sizeable bottle of acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin) along with the antibiotic, apparently the doctor had included it in the prescription, the directions on the bottle were to take xx amount, alternating tylenol and advil every few hours as needed for fever and pain. I never knew that was a thing, my regular pediatrician never officially prescribed it, only recommended and then I followed up over the counter. But we were away from home and I think the doctor we went to is frequented by low-income families so I guess he does this by default. I didn't know it was possible, I remember when allergy meds first became available OTC and my expenses shot up because several of us have serious seasonal allergies and now (meaning the last 10 years or so, this isn't recent news) they aren't covered as prescriptions anymore. Not sure why regular strength advil and tylenol are any different than Claritin or Zyrtec that you need to pay out of pocket to take daily for months. Sigh.

My kids were on Child Health Plus at the time of the Tylenol episode, ftr.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 1:26 am
I recently got a prescription for shoes or sneakers from UHC - from my podiatrist at the same time that he gave me a prescription for orthotics. Both these came after I was treated by him for tendinitis as a means to prevent it from reoccurring. He offered the prescription I did not ask.
Yes I need new shoes (or sneakers the orthotics won't fit in shoes) because nothing I own is big or sturdy enough to house the orthotics. But I had every intention of paying for sneakers till he offered the prescription

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 4:25 am
amother wrote:
Pause!
You can get free pampers on medicaid???? I have 2 kids in pampers and this would be incredible for me if it's true!

This was 13 yrs ago. But I think it was possible if the child had a medical condition and needed to wear diapers when they were older than the normal diaper wearing age. ( think age six)

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 5:46 am
I don't have UHC, I live OOT, but my mediciad pays for $25 worth of over the counter drugs per person per month. I just recently found out about it and started taking advantage of it. I order from their online 'store' and a box of drugs per person shows up at my door. The $25 adds up fast when it's per person in a large family. So someone like me won't be paying for Tylenol or Advil anymore, at least not while I'm on Medicaid. They also offer things like baby wipes (haven't seen diapers or I'd fill my cart with that) pads, blood pressure monitors, and lots of other non drug items that you'd typically buy at a drug store. It's all generic though, so if you are picky about brands you wouldn't be happy.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 5:54 am
Now I'm waiting for my above comment to spark a whole debate about why poor people who don't work hard for their insurance are entitled to so much free pharmecuticals per month when pple who pay their hard earned money towards insurance don't get that covered.
I get that. I've been in that middle class trap before where I was making too much to qualify for any benefits or discounts but couldn't afford to live. And working really hard long hours for that.While my friends who worked a lot fewer hours than I took all the benefits and seemed to have less of a financial strain than me. I get it.
But bottom line is, this is how country is set up right now. And if the wheel turns in such a way that I am now eligible for benefits (mostly because my family size grew a lot BH, not bec I work much less) than I will definitely take advantage of whatever free things the gov has to offer for me legally. You can get free Advil and Tylenol without being crooked. I have no idea about sneakers or diapers.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 6:34 am
Without going into LH, there is a Jewishly crowded city/town where the foot doctor is located in the same building as the shoe store. You go upstairs for a prescription for flat feet and then you go downstairs and get free sneakers paid for by Medicaid or Medicaid HMO. They help each other out in business. Anyone can say they have flat feet... Possibly for the first appointment at the foot doctor, you need a referral from your PCP. But if the PCP if part of the same clinic as the foot doctor, the office already takes care of that w/o you even knowing...

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 9:10 am
amother wrote:
Without going into LH, there is a Jewishly crowded city/town where the foot doctor is located in the same building as the shoe store. You go upstairs for a prescription for flat feet and then you go downstairs and get free sneakers paid for by Medicaid or Medicaid HMO. They help each other out in business. Anyone can say they have flat feet... Possibly for the first appointment at the foot doctor, you need a referral from your PCP. But if the PCP if part of the same clinic as the foot doctor, the office already takes care of that w/o you even knowing...

There are many such places in different towns, and it is not limited to sneakers.

Sometimes, I wonder if Medicaid realizes there are so many foot problems clustered together with entire families of 14 needing free shoes.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Feb 17 2018, 10:22 pm
Squishy wrote:
There are many such places in different towns, and it is not limited to sneakers.

Sometimes, I wonder if Medicaid realizes there are so many foot problems clustered together with entire families of 14 needing free shoes.

bad genetics? lol!

rydys

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 1:34 pm
I have researched many of the above complaints with Medicaid myself. Tylenol and Motrin as well as several other OTC meds ARE covered, but diapers are only covered for a medical diagnosis. A person with a medical reason why they need diapers, for example spasmodic bladders, will have a limited number of diapers approved each month. Bedwetting in children is NOT considered a medical diagnosis and is NOT covered.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 1:49 pm
rydys wrote:
I have researched many of the above complaints with Medicaid myself. Tylenol and Motrin as well as several other OTC meds ARE covered, but diapers are only covered for a medical diagnosis. A person with a medical reason why they need diapers, for example spasmodic bladders, will have a limited number of diapers approved each month. Bedwetting in children is NOT considered a medical diagnosis and is NOT covered.

And somehow there are pediatricians writing prescriptions for these things and then people say "everyone can get it".

creditcards

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 7:16 pm
pesek zman wrote:
m

My autistic daughter qualified for diapers from age 3. If you have a special needs diagnosis you can qualify from that age.

creditcards

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 7:42 pm
Squishy wrote:

I Know of a Dr that is located next to a shoe store that bills insurance. It seems like he would give a prescription to anyone but I've heard people telling me that they tried getting a prescription and the Dr didn't give because he said their feet were ok.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 8:04 pm
seeker wrote:
Not responding to the rest of this, only the bolded - I once took my DD to a doctor for strep or something that came with a high fever and a lot of pain. He sent the rx straight to the pharmacy and when it came I was surprised to find a sizeable bottle of acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin) along with the antibiotic, apparently the doctor had included it in the prescription, the directions on the bottle were to take xx amount, alternating tylenol and advil every few hours as needed for fever and pain. I never knew that was a thing, my regular pediatrician never officially prescribed it, only recommended and then I followed up over the counter. But we were away from home and I think the doctor we went to is frequented by low-income families so I guess he does this by default. I didn't know it was possible, I remember when allergy meds first became available OTC and my expenses shot up because several of us have serious seasonal allergies and now (meaning the last 10 years or so, this isn't recent news) they aren't covered as prescriptions anymore. Not sure why regular strength advil and tylenol are any different than Claritin or Zyrtec that you need to pay out of pocket to take daily for months. Sigh.

My kids were on Child Health Plus at the time of the Tylenol episode, ftr.

I never bought fever reducing meds for my kids when they were little. Every time we went to the pediatricians office they always gave a free sample of children’s Motrin for each child. The nurse would give them out to everyone even at well visits, so we always had more than enough of the stuff at home. Never had to buy. I guess now a Days drs don’t give out free samples any more
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries