Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can your dh cook?
1  2  Next

Can your husband cook?
He's the chef (professional or not)  
 10%  [ 23 ]
He knows how, but I do most of the cooking  
 40%  [ 91 ]
He can do the bare minimum or enough so no one will starve  
 31%  [ 72 ]
Does cold food count?  
 7%  [ 16 ]
The kitchen is alien to him  
 8%  [ 19 ]
other  
 2%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 227

yo'ma

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 12:33 pm
He's the chef (professional or not): He does the majority of cooking around the house.
He knows how, but I do most of the cooking: Self explanatory
He can do the bare minimum or enough so no one will starve: He can do some cooking, not only a bowl of cereal
Does cold food count?: He knows his way around the kitchen enough to make a bowl of cereal or a salad, etc..
The kitchen is alien to him: Not at all

Please don't say I should add or change anything. Use your discretion. This is for fun and nothing else.

My dh can cook b'h, but some of things he makes is weird, but okay tasting. He'll never look at a cookbook, but if he did, he'll do fine. My 13ds said he wanted to make supper this week. He ended up making it twice with me helping him and it was delicious!!

mommyhood

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 12:45 pm
Dh strongly dislikes cooking. He can do the basics like eggs and pasta and he's happy to eat that for days. We discussed once what would happen if I was ever on bedrest and he said he knows enough that if he needed to cook he would but it would likely involve many calls to me or his sisters.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 12:50 pm
I chose basics.
He makes eggs any style with toast and cut vegetables, pizza on a wrap, things like that. Wink He's made cholent a few times. He likes to make the egg salad on shabbos (not cooking, I know)
He could do more, I'm sure.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Feb 16 2018, 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

mha3484

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 12:51 pm
My husband is a pretty decent cook but he really does not enjoy it so I do most of the cooking. I am probably more of a foodie.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 1:20 pm
I can barely boil eggs without burning them. I know how to put stuff in microwave.

When we went on our first date, he told me he cooked in yeshiva for all the boys, and was baking since he was 9, because his mother a"h, was very sick.

I said as a joke, make me something next time. On our 2nd date, he brought me a cheese cake he make and a picnic basket lunch. I knew then, I found my zivug..

To this day, I prefer his food to many upscale restaurants I went to.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 1:46 pm
DH is cooking the entire Shabbos this week. He usually does part of it. When it comes to Yom Tov I do all the cooking. I enjoy the process .
My 17 yr old and 15 yr old sons cook too . My 17 yr old cooks at least one dish weekly for Shabbos and my 15 yr old is the baker in the house. Whenever he is home from school he will whip out one of his recipes (he keeps stashed in a loose leaf in his room) and I come home from work to yummy cookies or cake.
My father and brothers are also all amazing cooks.

Last edited by thunderstorm on Fri, Feb 16 2018, 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 1:50 pm
DH has a limited repertoire, but what he makes is delicious. DH also has a limited palate and would be happy if I cooked his recipes exclusively. Not doing because I need variety.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 2:05 pm
I voted other.

Under normal circumstances I do most of the cooking because I'm home (WAHM) and have more ability to get dinner on the table in a timely fashion. DH tends to do all the baking and cooks the specialty items like an occasional pancake breakfast on Sunday mornings. If we're having company then we'll divide the responsibilities so it's not too much for either of us.

Lately, however, I'm in the middle of a difficult HG pregnancy and I can't deal with food at all. DH has completely taken over all the cooking for weekday dinners and Shabbos meals. He makes simpler things than I do because he has less time, but he gets the food on the table and the kids seem happy so it's all good.

perquacky

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 2:40 pm
My dh actually IS a chef. He has a culinary degree from a top US school. He does the food shopping too. I am a very lucky girl, and my kids are adventurous eaters.
I bake though. As he likes to remind me, baking is an exact science, and he prefers to wing it with his recipes.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 5:58 pm
He makes the absolute best scrambled eggs, but once when I was sick in bed he asked me how many cups of oil go in the crockpot to make cholent, cups????

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Feb 17 2018, 12:48 pm
You are missing a very important option.
We cook 50/50.
I do most of the weekday cooking, he does most of the shabbat cooking.

essie14

Post Sat, Feb 17 2018, 1:03 pm
amother wrote:
I voted other.

Under normal circumstances I do most of the cooking because I'm home (WAHM) and have more ability to get dinner on the table in a timely fashion. DH tends to do all the baking and cooks the specialty items like an occasional pancake breakfast on Sunday mornings. If we're having company then we'll divide the responsibilities so it's not too much for either of us.

Lately, however, I'm in the middle of a difficult HG pregnancy and I can't deal with food at all. DH has completely taken over all the cooking for weekday dinners and Shabbos meals. He makes simpler things than I do because he has less time, but he gets the food on the table and the kids seem happy so it's all good.

That's pretty much our situation. I mostly make supper because he works full time and I only work part time. Shabbat it's about 60% me and 40% DH. when I was pregnant he did it all. I wrote down how to make all the food for RH and Sukkot and he executed it while I was locked in my bedroom because all food smells made me so sick. Regular Shabbat he handled 100% on his own until I was able to cook again.

Metukah

Post Sat, Feb 17 2018, 2:55 pm
I chose 'bare minimum' and it really is that, or maybe even less. He can bread and fry schnitzel, cut a salad, fry eggs and make a cheese toast. Nothing else. Nothing at all.

DrMom

Post Sat, Feb 17 2018, 3:04 pm
Yes. I think all adults should know how to cook basic food.

Rachel Shira

Post Sat, Feb 17 2018, 6:24 pm
Yes, he can do all the basics like eggs (better than me), pasta, etc, and can cook more complicated things with either a lot of googling or a lot of asking me questions. But it’s enough for him to take over when I can’t do it and he can fend for himself if I’m not home.

amother
Ruby

Post Sat, Feb 17 2018, 7:16 pm
HG pregnancy here so he's in charge of the food. Although he mostly has to buy or we have friends sending because the smell of food cooking aggravates my nausea and vomiting.
Otherwise he sometimes helps with the Shabbos and Yom Tov cooking. The kitchen is his domain though on motzei Shabbos, he does French fries, scrambled eggs, n salad for the kids.

momX4

Post Sat, Feb 17 2018, 8:04 pm
Bare minimum.

I started working recently. I made him in charge of dinner once a week. He just buys pizza.

When I had my youngest he bought takeout every night until I got home from the hospital. He didn't want to take out the food I had prepared in the freezer. My kids loved the treat.

He can make grilled cheese, eggs and BBQ food (I explained that chicken needs to be marinated, sometimes he does...)

yidisheh mama

Post Sat, Feb 17 2018, 8:06 pm
I chose cold food... He can make coffee, tea and an omelette (after many practice trials), but that's about it. He can prob put together a sandwich if he tried, but if no one prepares his food for him he'll forget to eat or grab a bag (or 5) of chips, crackers, baked goods and whatever easy junk food he can find. I couldn't choose the basics so no one will starve because if he needs to be the one preparing food he'll most likely forget about food until the kids are starving and begging for food. At that point he'd get overwhelmed and just give them snack food or dry cereal.

gold21

Post Sat, Feb 17 2018, 8:10 pm
Yes, my husband can cook, and does cook, and he's good at it. B"H.

In practice, though, I do most of the cooking. He works longer hours than I do so it makes sense that I would do most of the food prep. Anyway, I like doing it. I like preparing and serving food, for the most part.

When he available, he can, and does, cook/bake just about anything that I cook/bake, although detailed instructions are often required. He is usually home at a reasonable hour on Fridays so he always helps with Shabbos food. He usually makes the chicken soup and the chicken/meat for Shabbos. And he helps me with most everything else.

Last edited by gold21 on Sat, Feb 17 2018, 11:51 pm; edited 3 times in total

SuperWify

Post Sat, Feb 17 2018, 9:26 pm
If I’m ever on bed rest - sick, after a baby, pregnant etc my family starve the entire day until my DH will go get pizza or other takeout for dinner.

If I cry hard enough he can make cheese toast.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen