Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What do nits look like on lice comb?

bigbird

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 12:59 pm
Dealing with lice for the first time here...despite all the explanations, I’m still not entirely sure how to differentiate between dandruff and eggs, DD was checked by a doc so now I’m treating her and the others. But I’m not clear how I know what I’m getting off on the comb. The comb comes off with conditioner on it and when I wipe on paper towel there are all sorts of things coming off...skin, fluff, dark stuff, not dark stuff. I know they can’t all be eggs/llice because the other kids aren’t itchy I’m just checking as a precaution but I really have no idea what I’m doing...

Any advice? What do I look for??

my mama

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 1:03 pm
Nits look like little sesame seeds. If you're combing with conditioner you might not be able to see it. Also the color of the nits can range from blond to black

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 1:08 pm
Nits, the eggs of lice, are very small oval grains. Their color is off-white or beige-grey. They are a bit difficult to get out because lice glue them to the hair. Not all special combs will remove them. It has to be a comb that's designed for nit removal, as opposed to lice removal. Lice, at least the grown up ones, are easily visible. They are longish, have 6 legs, beige color and a dark stripe down their back. And if still alive, they'll move and wiggle on the paper. If you want to see examples, maybe do a google image search.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 1:09 pm
They are teardrop shaped and attached to the hair generally less than an inch from the scalp. They don’t wipe away. If you were to squish it between the backs of two nails you’ll hear a tiny pop.
Usually black or brown. Old ones may be white and farther from the scalp.

bigbird

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 2:11 pm
Thanks for your replies.

Another question: can I use the same combing technique on boys? I have one DS that has a flaky scalp and even though we washed his hair really well before doing the lice combing, I’m sure that anything we got out was just dead skin even though plenty of them could be described the same way nits were described above?!?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 2:14 pm
Make sure you are using a different comb for each kid.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 2:20 pm
Also, if you have a friend who has BTDT and is familiar with it, it’s not a bad idea to have someone teach you how to comb out properly. Unfortunately we also experienced lice for the first time a few months ago, and while it’s tough to miss an actual louse, Nits can be really challenging if you don’t know what your looking for. After our very drawn out saga I did learn how to check properly and identify a nit, thanks to a very patient and kind friend. Good luck, and I hope it’s over soon.

Teomima

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 2:34 pm
I like to use coconut oil instead of conditioner. It makes the hair slick so the comb slides through well, but it doesn't show up on the comb itself, making it very easy to differentiate between dandruff and nits.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 5:43 pm
They look like sesame seeds.
Really, Really, Really hard to come off
You have to literally grab it and slide it off
Anything that comes off easily are not nits
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics