Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What is the reason for emotions?
1  2  Next

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 4:13 pm
it creates so many problems. whats the point? isnt it better to just have logic?

SuperWify

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 4:15 pm
I smell a male scent....

southernbubby

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 4:19 pm
amother wrote:
it creates so many problems. whats the point? isnt it better to just have logic?

I would imagine that Hashem created them so that we could use our emotions in our relationship with Him such as love and fear and awe.

Life would be very colorless if we had no passion or feelings wouldn't it?

WhatFor

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 4:28 pm
Probably because people without emotions couldn't empathize with their babies for being hungry, so their offspring didn't survive and so mostly people with emotions went on to procreate.

leah233

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 4:31 pm
Because logic wouldn't always motivate people to do anything.

Or even the right thing.

People can know intellectually that should do something but don't because they are lazy. When they emotionally want it to they are more likely to make the effort.

A wealthy person who can easily retire has no logical reason to work very hard keep his business open and continue providing a desperately needed service. The emotion of wanting to make money and be useful motivates him anyway.

Someone may not really be deserving but emotions causes others to go the extra mile for them. (The difference between din and rachmim)

Last edited by leah233 on Mon, Feb 19 2018, 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 4:43 pm
amother wrote:

I have a question along these lines- what is the reason for food? Wouldnt life be easier without all the hassle around food, digestion, elimination, toilets, etc.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 4:44 pm
amother wrote:

What problems is it creating for you personally?

leah233

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 4:47 pm
amother wrote:
I have a question along these lines- what is the reason for food? Wouldnt life be easier without all the hassle around food, digestion, elimination, toilets, etc.

Almost the same answer as emotions. If people didn't have to eat they also wouldn't have to work. Particularly in ancient times.

If they didn't work they would have too much free time.

That doesn't usually lead to good results.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 5:07 pm
Watch Pixar’s excellent film Inside Out

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 5:16 pm
OMG I always ask this about sleep.
Life would just be so much easier without never ending tiredness.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 5:23 pm
amother wrote:
OMG I always ask this about sleep..

Me too.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 5:26 pm
amother wrote:

Emotions are tools used to alert your body with what's going on and keep you safe.

Woman of Valor

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 6:11 pm
I actually feel the opposite way. WITHOUT emotions, there would be so many problems.

Think about it.

Fear helps us avoid danger
Disgust helps us protect ourselves
Feeling hurt helps us make changes to improve situations
love makes life meaningful
compassion drives us to help others
passion makes us achieve
anger tells us we need to create more balance
excitement gives life its color
etc.

I can go on and on.
Every emotion has its purpose. Where would we be without it?

I encourage the writer of this question to read the book Running on Empty. You might be missing out on the world of emotion because of how you were raised. That side of you may be completely undeveloped which can cause you lots of harm.

chicco

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 9:23 pm
Because we were made in Tzelem Elokim. Emotions are responses to things. The trick is teaching ourselves how to control ourselves to have the proper emotions at the appropriate time. Anger is a real thing...Hashem gets angry. Love is a real thing, Hashem loves...etc.

We have to try our best to use emotions the way that Hashem does. They are necessary tools in life to do what we need to.

But yes, they sure do complicate matters, and also make them all the more beautiful when they work out nicely.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 9:35 pm
Because we are social creatures, and without emotions we wouldn't have a society. Without society, we wouldn't have group protection from aggressors, cooperation in scientific research, schools for our children, etc. Emotions make us cooperative in general.

Psycopaths (people without emotions) don't make good neighbors.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 11:27 pm
Thank you to all of your responses.

Firstly to those who ask what's going on that I asked.

I find myself very emotional. Very sensitive. I suffer from depression at times. Me thinks some of depressive moments is because of distorted thoughts about life or myself.

I call them erroneous beliefs.

If I wouldn't have these sad thoughts about myself I would do so much better. So you say emotions alert you to have rachmanus on our children. Fair enough. I just think it makes us as women be too sensitive and create too much extra that creates so much friction and fights that men don't have.

A positive thing that can go wrong so quickly is hardly a positive thing to me.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 11:57 pm
Because without emotions, there's no happiness. and it's the other emotions that tell us that there's something blocking our happiness.
I'd rather have all the emotions I feel (and believe me, there are a lot of negative ones, we all have suffering in our lives) so that I can feel the few moments of joy.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 12:51 am
Hot pink, thanx for that.

When emotions give us distorted thoughts is what bothers me.

How do we control our emotions? When I'm feeling sad, lonely, unaccomplished despite doing so much. Ahh, distorted thoughts about myself or about situations.

Or when emotions rise above reality or logic. I become a mess. So much of how I operate is this way, is there a way to alert myself that I'm being emotional? And think logically?

I do agree as mothers we need emotions for our young.

I love this topic. Thanks to all who have responded

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 5:33 am
amother wrote:

I feel the same way. My intense emotions make me sick.
And I have had lots of therapy, including DBT, which focuses on emotional regulation.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 6:08 pm
Jade, do you find it helps you? I've been to therapy, and I get more depressed there. It has never worked for me. I have to find another way.

I just don't know how. It's sad, that I have these deep emotions and I have learned so little to have control.

There must be away. Anyone care to share their tips, insights all are welcome, lets do this.

I'm all for this.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics