Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Nursing vs formula
1  2  3  Next

Ima2

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 7:32 pm
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, so I don't know if this has been tallked about yet but ...I jusy had my 2nd child 2 months ago and am attempting to nurse exclusively (I'm home with my kids, B"H for now). I formula-fed my oldest since I was on a very rigorous school scheule. I was so excited about the opportunity to nurse this time, but after 2 months of exclusive nursing, I'm starting to get frustrated with it. My supply isn't adequate so I am pumping to increase supply. I end up feeding her for an hour every 3 hours! Not to mention that I can't do anything out away from my apt for more than 3 hours cuz then I'd have to feed my 2 month old while ooccupying my 2 year old in some bathroom somewhere. Basically, I feel very tied down to nursing, something I did not experience with my first and I'm finding it really hard to accept. Sometimes I feel like giving up nursing all together and going the formula route, but I don't want to feel like a failure/quitter/let myself and my husband down. Any advise out there? Thanks.

Seraph

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 11:12 pm
Try learning to nurse in a sling or a wrap, so that way all that time nursing you are able to do stuff, like walking around... and entertaining your two year old.

chavamom

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 11:29 pm
Who recommended that you pump? Usually that is a very short term solution and for now it's what is making you crazy. If you saw a lactation consultant, I think maybe you need to see a different one if you problem still isn't resolved.

Ima2

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 9:33 am
I did see a LC and she told me to do this extra pumping. I'm not so sure that it's a temporary thing. If my daughter isn't able to increase my supply herself, which is why I am pumping in the first place, how do I know if she's going to be able to later? Maybe I'm being impatient with the whole nursing thing, but it would be so much easier if I was bottle feeding with formula.

Maya

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 9:46 am
Why do you think that giving up means letting down everyone?? If nursing doesn't work out, it just doesn't work out. If you are really upset about this schedule and would like to stop it, or at least minimize it, then go ahead and don't feel guilty about it.

Of course, breastfeeding is the best, but you dont' have to kill yourself doing it.

gryp

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 10:00 am
being tied down some is to be expected when nursing.

when I'm nursing I don't leave the house without the baby, and if I do I make sure to be back within 2 hours to nurse again.

Helani

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 10:30 am
To put things in perspective usually exclusive nursing is only for 6 months. Then you start solids. You're already 1/3 of the way there. And weeks fly by, although days can drag by sooooooo slowly.

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 10:38 am
chavamom wrote:
Who recommended that you pump? Usually that is a very short term solution and for now it's what is making you crazy. If you saw a lactation consultant, I think maybe you need to see a different one if you problem still isn't resolved.

Thre are things like frequent nursing, breast compression and switching sides which help increase milk supply.

chavamom

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 10:40 am
Ima2 wrote:
I did see a LC and she told me to do this extra pumping. I'm not so sure that it's a temporary thing. If my daughter isn't able to increase my supply herself, which is why I am pumping in the first place, how do I know if she's going to be able to later? Maybe I'm being impatient with the whole nursing thing, but it would be so much easier if I was bottle feeding with formula.

See, my big question would be "why isn't your daughter increasing your supply?" and get to the root of that. Maybe even before that, how do you know your supply is lacking? I know that one of the "big" LC's in Israel (I think that is where you are?) often recommends supplementary pumping. But honestly, that should be a very temporary measure, if used at all and correcting the underlying problem (most common being one of latch/position) should be the real goal so that you aren't making yourself crazy. There are also other techniques to recommend - compression while nursing, switch nursing as well as medications that increase supply.

This is a really good website to take a look at and might give you some ideas. Good luck!

Last edited by chavamom on Wed, Oct 31 2007, 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total

cm

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 10:42 am
Hi Ima2! May I be nosy? How do you know your supply is inadequate? Many mothers worry needlessly about supply - of course, this may not apply to you.

Also, it may help to know that to increase milk production, frequency of nipple stimulation is more important than length of the nursing session. In other words, you may be better off nursing for ten minutes on a side more frequently, rather than for an hour at a time.

More about supply - get enough fluids and nutrition yourself, and plenty of rest (easier said than done with a two-year-old, of course).

Nursing a two-month-old every three hours is not unreasonable (although it probably shouldn't take an hour). As your baby gets older, she will nurse less often. However, breastmilk is digested more easily than formula, and a breastfed baby will feel hungry sooner than a formula-fed baby.

If you're out and about with both kids, you might be able to find places where you can nurse discreetly without resorting to the bathroom (is that what you meant?). For example, if you drive, the back seat of the car might be comfy for you. Dressing rooms, bookstores with armchairs, etc...with some practice and the right clothing, nursing in public is not so hard.

Pumping once a day to accumulate an emergency supply of breastmilk in the freezer is a good idea, so you might as well keep pumping.

Hope that helps!

shoy18

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 11:09 am
Never feel like a failure if you stop nursing, its not the end of the world, despite what people may tell you. Formula may not be mommy but it works perfectly well for all the babies who drink it!!!

NO ONE should make you feel like your a bad mother because you dont nurse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maya

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 11:15 am
shoy18 wrote:
Never feel like a failure if you stop nursing, its not the end of the world, despite what people may tell you. Formula may not be mommy but it works perfectly well for all the babies who drink it!!!

NO ONE should make you feel like your a bad mother because you dont nurse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumbs Up

amother

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 11:45 am
momtomor wrote:
shoy18 wrote:

Thumbs Up

yup Thumbs Up

By my first, when I was by my mother, I felt sooo guilty if I had to give a bottle, that I would hide in the bedroom every time. Well, I've come a long way! Tongue Out Now, the heck what anyone thinks!

I ate and rested the same as my Sil. yet she had gallons of 'rich sour cream' while I had a few ounces of 'skim milk'! How do I know?? cause if after 3/4 hour of feeding and the baby was still looking for food, then I didn't have enough, and he got a bottle! And contrary to what the LC say, it's not the end of the world if you supplement.
You can try different ways to improve, but to make yourself crazy 24/7 with all types of contraptions and systems.... What

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 11:52 am
If you have "skim milk", chances are you can make plenty of milk, and you are only nursing off the foremilk which doesn't satisfy the baby as much.

Nursing, even if initially difficult, usually works out well with a bit of help, and then it's so much easier than needing to remember to take canisters of formula, and bottles, and water every where you go. So while it might at the beginning be a bit cumbersome, the payoff is tremendous.

Ima2, I think feeding every 3 hours is NORMAL. Why do you think you're not making enough milk? If she's nursing for an hour, that is not an indication you don't have enough, or she probably would come off frustrated. The fact that she is getting full is a telltale sign you probably are producing enough. I agree with the suggestion for breast compression as outlined on Jack Newman's site. It will help the flow of milk when it slows down and your baby might get the same amount of milk faster. Hatzlacha!

atlastamom

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 12:38 pm
Hi Ima2. I can empathize bec. I was nursing, supplementing with a bottle and then pumping for the first 10 weeks with my baby who is a preemie. B"H, three lactation consultants later, I now nurse him almost exclusively, with only one (maybe two sometimes) bottle a day if he's very frustrated or right before bed. I recommend taking fenugreek and blessed thistle (herbs) to build your supply. I didn't believe in it, but it really seemed to work. You take 3x the recommended dosage.
There were a lot of times when I was pumping and nursing and supplementing that I was discouraged and frustrated at the never ending cycle, but I persevered bec. I know that breast milk is what's best for a baby.
Good luck!

chavamom

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 12:47 pm
Of course no one should "make" you feel like a bad mother (or I fail to see how they "could", unless you let them...). But this mother seems to want to make a go of nursing. So how these types of comments are helpful????

shoy18

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 12:55 pm
chavamom wrote:
Of course no one should "make" you feel like a bad mother (or I fail to see how they "could", unless you let them...). But this mother seems to want to make a go of nursing. So how these types of comments are helpful????

Regardless of whether the mother wants to continue or not, it still doest make it right for people to make her feel like a failure or a quitter, that something society decided because if they didn't then the idea of failure or quitter would not be prevalent!!!

Maya

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 12:57 pm
chavamom wrote:

She seems to want to make a go at it, but sometimes she does feel like giving up. She just doesn't want to feel like a failure. So these comments are helpful just in case she does give it up, she should know that she's not a bad mother or a failure by doing it.

chavamom

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 1:02 pm
I think it's funny that people perceive society to be sending that message. Most babies in the US are weaned long before they hit 6 mos. Only 14% are still getting only breastmilk (not supplemented with formula) by 6 mos! So it's the less than 15% of us who are "making" everyone else feel guilty?

Last edited by chavamom on Wed, Oct 31 2007, 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

grin

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 1:03 pm
why do you think she's not getting enough milk?
    is she gaining weight (even if not according to the doctors' charts?)
    is she sleeping well in between feedings?
    is she developing (learning to hold her head, follow things with her eyes, etc)?

those are the questions I used to ask myself. yes, nursing was important to me since I thought it was both healthier for the baby as well as much more conveninet and cheaper for me. but of course those who choose not to nurse aren't worse mothers, thery'e just different than me!!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics