Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Till what age would you have a son and daughter share a room
1  2  Next

irrationalrose

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 1:44 pm
Till what age would you have your son and daughter share a room? What if one of them is only home on weekends?

BayMom

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 1:57 pm
irrationalrose wrote:
Till what age would you have your son and daughter share a room? What if one of them is only home on weekends?
Till the boy is age 9.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 2:21 pm
Till 9, latest 10.

maze

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 2:37 pm
Until age 6-7

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 3:26 pm
Not past 7

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 3:58 pm
Some of these answers a bit extreme!

I shared with my brother until I was 14 and he was 15.

Yes, it would've been more comfortable to separate at 11-12ish, but it was really not a big deal.

There was no other option - single mother, small apartment, no extra space - and we all managed. We had different schedules and got changed in the bathroom. When friends came over the other sibling would stay out of the room. Sleepovers happened in sleeping bags on the dining room floor.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 4:03 pm
I would allow a baby/ toddler sleep with the opposite gender of any age.
I slept in my brothers room until he was 10. I was 8.
I only have boys so I never thought into it. Many people don't have space in their homes to split the kids.

irrationalrose

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 9:40 pm
amother wrote:
Some of these answers a bit extreme!

I'm hoping people who said 6-7 meant ideally if you happen to have an extra room.

Shoshana37

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 11:13 pm
My son was 14 and my girls were 11, 6&3 all in one room. when we finally moved into the house everyone had their own rooms.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 11:16 pm
20 year old dd sleeps in 17 year old sons room on weekends that I have guests. They each have their own room and personal space but when I have guests on shabbos 20 year old moves out of her room.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 6:44 am
6-7. Once a girl or a boy starts reaching puberty they need their privacy, ideally even before that. Do you really want your 8 year old son learning about periods and bras so early?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 8:18 am
My kids are separate only because of space and birth order. Though the other night they all insisted on sharing one room. My oldest dd is 9.5, my oldest ds is 6.
This arrangement works beautifully when their cousins sle p over, boys that way and girls thataway.

irrationalrose

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 9:32 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
6-7. Once a girl or a boy starts reaching puberty they need their privacy, ideally even before that. Do you really want your 8 year old son learning about periods and bras so early?

Why not?

BH5745

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 12:47 am
notshanarishona wrote:

Many people do not have the space to separate brothers and sisters into separate rooms.

Any 8 year old boy whose seen his mother doing laundry has surely seen bras. How an 8 year old boy would learns about menstruation from a teenage sister just by sharing a room with her I cannot even guess.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 1:35 am
I have a chassidish cousin, all of her children are married now, but when they were all growing up, they lived in a two bedroom apartment. ALL of the children slept in one bedroom. They used those beds that have more than one pull out mattress under the top. I think 7 children slept in the room. Boys and girls. And that was that. Everyone dressed in the bathroom. Otherwise, it was no big deal.

I also have a friend who shared with her brother almost all through her teens. All of the rooms were taken (more than 2 bedrooms here) but there was no other room. You do what you have to and make it work.

gold21

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 1:58 am
Hmm. I think what posters wrote so far is about on target for me. Like that 8/9 age range. (Assuming there is another available bedroom, or course.)

BabsB

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 2:36 pm
My 7 and 3 year old currently share. Eventually I would like to split them but it will depend on when we can afford a bigger place. We figure they need to split when he starts expressing a need for privacy (around puberty).

Also - my 7 year old knows about periods and bras. To him they are healthy, normal parts of being a human being.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 2:49 pm
My 9 year old son and 7 year old daughter shared until a few weeks ago. Neither of them are anywhere near puberty. I had a few trial and error moments rearranging the rooms. They are best suited to share personality wise, that’s why it took me so long to find new arrangements.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 3:12 pm
I don’t think people are saying what to do if there’s no room. If there’s no other room, then thats that. You make the best of it. But that doesn’t mean it’s ideal. I think ideally, you split them when one hits puberty. If that means 7, or 11, whatever. The point is there is a time when many feel like they shouldn’t be together Anymore IF POSSIBLE.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 5:47 pm
My 10 year old ds sleeps with 7year old dd. Never even thought into it. Not sure why pple think they have to be seperated at age 6-7????
(And yes I have an empty room, but I also think its healthy to learn how to live with other pple)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics