Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dd must wear a sweater? Why?
1  2  Next

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 3:06 pm
Dd is almost 4. She has a very underactive thyroid. Taking synthroid daily. From when before she even started going to school which was this year she loved wearing cozy sweaters. In the summer she wouldn't insist. But when she would put on layers in the summer I thought she was just playing and I still think it was that.

Now it became a thing she insists on everyday. She is having a hard time with some kids bullying her. Teachers are trying but not greatly successful at it. She is seeing a therapist in school of OT and speech.

Her ot claims it's a security thing. Because she is anxious socially. She's definitely doing better socially but I'm worried about her insistence on this extra layers. It's becoming more intense.

Anyone has had this? Something tells me it's more then just security but I don't know what.

Please help me.

To clarify she puts on a sweatshirt ontop of whatever she's wearing. I can't for the life of me understand it.

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 3:42 pm
When your thyroid is underactive, you feel cold. That's just how it is.

The synthyroid should be correcting this problem but in my experience I have found that the whole thing of medication is an art not a science, and even when your numbers look "normal" you can still have symptoms and need more replacement hormones. Within what they call the "normal" range some people feel better at the top of the range, others not. Fortunately the endocrinologist I saw shares this view.

So it really could be that she is just cold.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 3:44 pm
Sounds like a security comfort thing. You need to be very gentle when dealing with it. Respect her attachment to it.
I would tell her a long story about a little girl who was very cold each winter day. Her mother got her a cozy sweater to keep her warm. Day after day she wore the sweater and got so used to seeing it it became like her friend! It made her happy to put it on! But just like the beautiful flowers and leaves on the trees that go away each season to get the land ready for the beautiful snow, so too the little girl began to grow and the weather got warm and the sweater had to be put in a safe place until next year. sweater was happy to keep the little girl warm and couldnt wait to see her again next winter. The little girl waved goodbye to the sweater high up on the shelf and ran out to play in the sun...

Last edited by amother on Wed, Feb 28 2018, 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 3:55 pm
I have a DD with no health issues and I don't think anxiety either, but also was very attached to wearing a sweatshirt. She dropped it when it got really warm over the summer, but as soon as we started putting it on again in the fall at all, she'd want to wear it all the time. I didn't analyze it, just considered it another one of a quirky 4-year-old's idiosyncrasies. Actually she's 5 now and still doing it. She doesn't wear it all the time but if she puts one on, it doesn't come off even if she goes to a warmer place. She does tend to feel colder compared to warmer people but I'm saying she even keeps it on when she's not cold, I guess she just likes it. As soon as we bought her uniform sweater, it became like part of her uniform that she put on every day! After a few weeks of figuring she just loved having a uniform sweater, I talked her into waiting until she sees if it's cold in school before putting it on - we only have one uniform sweater and I can't have it getting dirty every other day!

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 5:54 pm
Thanks to all. Dd has congenital hypothyroidism aka non existent thyroid. She's seeing a endo. I will address this next time and see what he has to say. cause this is annoying. Having to wear a sweatshirt in 75 degree weather is no good. I'm definitely not gonna fight with her. As that can make her more resistant. I'm just trying to find out what it's all about, it's way more reassuring to know what it's about.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 6:34 pm
Synthroid does not correct the problem. Don't forget, schools have the a/c on and it is COLD.
I am on synthroid and wear sweaters all year long. 85 degrees or less, I need a sweater. Not to mention any shop I step into has the a/c on.
The mildest breeze makes me feel cold.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 6:35 pm
OP, I have hypothyroidism so I'm usually colder than everyone else around me. But thinking something else here . Did your DD gain weight because of her condition? It could be she is trying to cover up any weight gain. Maybe she is self conscious , which of course should be addressed.
But it can also be sensory, making her feel cozy. My DS age 11 started wearing a scarf around his neck . All day , in school and even to sleep. Today it finally got warm and didn't wear it today.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 6:36 pm
I drink herbal tea that's supposed to warm me up. It helps til it wears off.

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 7:39 pm
To those of you who say you still feel cold with synthyroid, I'm curious if you ever mentioned this to your Endo? Because I find that being cold is a symptom for me that my levels are off even if they are technically normal, because I always feel better at the higher end of normal.

And to the OP I'm curious why this annoys you so much. She is a different person to you, so she feels differently to you. This will happen forever, in both the physical and emotional world. It would be probably good for you both if you could come to terms with this idea.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 7:46 pm
Does she like the pressure that comes from layers of clothing squeezing her? My ds likes to wear a rash guard or other shirt made of elastic material that hugs him tightly.

yogabird

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 11:28 pm
What does she say when you ask her why she wants to wear a sweater?

anonymrs

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 11:50 pm
I would guess that her thyroid, although in normal ranges, isn't quite optimal. www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

HopeMother

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 12:18 pm
My son wears his coat all day long, every day. I finally decided to just stop fighting him on it and let it go. We have to wash the coat often but otherwise its not hurting him or anyone to wear his coat. Got to pick my battles.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 12:34 pm
OP, this might not be relevant to you as much as other posters.
Hypothyroid people shouldn't put up with not feeling well. Sometimes meds need to be tweaked and for a period of time one might feel cold, etc., but with proper replacement one should have a fairly normal quality of life.
OP, this is for you: I hope you have a competent pediatric endo who knows what pediatric ranges are and doesn't go by TSH alone.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 2:36 pm
OP, I am going to say this as gently as I can. This issue is NOT about you, your annoyance, or you worrying about what the neighbors will say.

This is about your daughter feeling comfortable.

You need to think hard about why your feelings are more important than hers.

teachkids

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 2:37 pm
Can't speak about it from the why point of view, but I was like that as a kid because of sensory issues. I always wore a sweatshirt. At some point I switched to tank tops under my shirts- I just needed a second layer- and then I was OK. To this day I ALWAYS wear a shell- I must have 2 layers to be comfortable.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 3:56 pm
Why does it bother you so much? That's what you should be exploring, I think.

I was that kid wearing sweaters when it was too warm, and it drove my mother crazy. But you know what, I preferred being too hot but feeling more secure.

I also have sensory issues and am never comfortable in only one layer, even now.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 4:20 pm
My cousin was like this. He suffered from anxiety and his psychologist said it was related.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 4:24 pm
OP if it's not related to her being cold it may be an OCD thing. Which makes sense given her anxiety. And all of this makes sense given her thyroid issues. Anxiety is also a symptom. But is she is being treated she should not be this symptomatic. Maybe her medication needs to be tweaked?

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Feb 23 2018, 2:11 am
amother wrote:
OP if it's not related to her being cold it may be an OCD thing. Which makes sense given her anxiety. And all of this makes sense given her thyroid issues. Anxiety is also a symptom. But is she is being treated she should not be this symptomatic. Maybe her medication needs to be tweaked?

I'm confused by this post. You mention, OCD, anxiety, and thyroid.

To all of you criticizing, I spicifically mentioned that I'm trying to unravel and understand this. No it's not about me. Lol, I'm her mother it's allowed to annoy me when I have to deal with her tantrums over a sweater. Gosh, why are people here so critical
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics