Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Under 20 min
1  2  Next

mammale

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 6:31 pm
Let's brainstorm ideas for healthy budget friendly dinners, that can be prepared in less than 20 min hands on time!
A few of mine include:
Tacos with beans and rice, cut up veggies etc.
Chicken & rice for veggie I sometimes throw in a bag of prechecked broccoli ( oops. Maybe not budget friendly) or cut up a salad on the side
Minastorone soup with rolls
Quiche, rice/ garlic bread, salad
Meat sauce over noodles/ rice

My family is getting tired of my go to dinners, and I am having trouble coming up with new ideas. I particularly can use some help with incorporating more vegetables ( we have our same go to. Veggies that we eat over and over and need some more variety) I need fast easy and kids friendly.

Looking forward to hearing some ideas!

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 6:42 pm
20 min. Prep time or does it need to include cooking time too?

Stars

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 6:50 pm
-Scrambled eggs and salad.
-Anything in the grill pan, marinated chicken cutlets with squash coins, salmon and slice peppers, chicken legs with mushrooms
-brown rice pasta with sauce and cheese
-mashed beans (needs to be pre-cooked but you can do it a night before) with sautéed liver on top, serve with sliced tomatoes

keym

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 6:50 pm
I bake tuna patties in balls. Serve them with pita, cut up salad. Like falafel (my kids dont like falafel but tuna is fine.)

mammale

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 6:51 pm
For me, prep time. I don't mind leaving things to cook a while as long as I don't need to be actively in the kitchen the whole time

tichellady

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 6:54 pm
Lentil rice bake
Spinach lasagna
Split pea or lentil soup with baked potatoes and brocolli or spinach cheese sauce

mammale

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 6:58 pm
Wow! Some great ideas. Stars- what is called grill pan?
Keym - sounds yum. I'll have to try falafel again too ( wonder how long it would take if baked? Anyone know) I also do tofu patties the frying is time consuming though and they aren't really good baked...
Also marinated baked tofu

mammale

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 8:07 pm
Tichel lady, do you mind posting recipes for lentil rice bake, and spinach lasagna?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 8:53 pm
1. Chicken salad , made with leftover schnitzel
2. Chicken cutlet sandwiches. Grilled chicken cutlets with lettuce , tomatoe and avocado slices or sliced sour pickled instead , in pita that is smeared with a honey mustard mayo dip, or BBQ sauce mayo dip
3. Chicken and veggie stir fry with rice
4. Beef stew made in a crockpot ( it's a One pot dinner with potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, peas etc.
5. Letcho made with , onions, green and red peppers , mushrooms and zuchinni, cheese and eggs served with fresh baguettes
6. Meatloaf, sweet potatoe/ potatoe mash, string beans in garlic
7. Chicken bottoms seasoned with Montreal chicken seasoning , roasted in the oven. Rice with mixed with veggie sautee.

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 12:26 am
mammale wrote:
Tichel lady, do you mind posting recipes for lentil rice bake, and spinach lasagna?

Recipe from Susie fishbein ( my comments in parentheses)
1 10 oz frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed ( can use more or can use two grated zuchinnis instead)
1 lb cottage cheese ( or can use ricotta)
1 large egg
1/2 tsp oregano
freshly ground pepper
1 bag shredded mozarella divided into three (I usually use 1/2 a bag total but it’s yummier with more cheese$
1 26 oz jar marinara sauce, Can also add some leftover wine to sauce
9-12 lasagna noodles, uncooked
1 cup water ( I use less)

preheat oven to 350. combine egg, cottage cheese, pepper, and oregano.

grease a 9x13 pan. ladle a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of the pan, lay down 3-4 noodles, half of the cottage cheese mixture, a layer of sauce, and some shredded cheese. top with 3-4 noodles, the rest of the cottage cheese, a layer of sauce, and some cheese. add 3-4 noodles, a layer of marina, and the rest of the cheese. pour the water around the sides. cover and bake for 1 hour , uncover and bake for 30-40 minutes (I usually bake for about 1.5 hours covered but check after an hour and see what you think).

This is the recipe I use for the lentil bake, although I don’t follow it perfectly. I only use non green peppers, I leave out the thyme, and and I 1.5 it and use a 9x13. I use much much less cheese, maybe 1/2 cup total

Iymnok

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 4:29 am
Tichellady, where do you put the spinach/zucchini?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 4:35 am
Baked potatoes.

I boil small potatoes and sweet potatoes whole until they are nearly cooked through (Poke with a skewer to test). Takes 20ish minutes. Transfer to the oven to get crispy skins and to keep them warm for seconds.
Serve with salt, butter, tuna, soft cheeses, etc. put a steamer basket on top of the potato pot as they’re cooking to steam the veggies of your choice. Even frozen vegetables do well.
I’d imagine that a stir fry would be a good combination too.
I always serve it dairy, but I’m sure that there are great meat combos.

Last night some kids had it with scrambled eggs.

nw11

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 4:44 am
Not the healthiest, but a good way to get kids to eat fish that doesn't taste too fishy is to defrost a log of gefilte fish, shape into patties and fry. I even serve it for shabbos sometimes (cold).

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 6:03 am
Iymnok wrote:

The recipe calls for combining the spinach, cottage cheese, egg, oregano, blk pepper, and half of the mozzarella together before starting.

heidi

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 6:50 am
I cut up a whole cabbage and saute in a wok with cut up onions, zuchinni, mushrooms, red pepper , shredded carrot and brocolli. Add 2 TBLS soy sauce and the kids devour it. When I'm using it as a main I add grilled chicken.
Soup:
1 onion chunked
1 carrots
1 zuchinni
1 peeled potato
Box kale
Bag frozen brocolli
Saute till kale is wilted. Add water to cover and some chicken soup mix (I guess you can just add salt if you don't want the chemicals)
Bring to a boil and then simmer till veggies are soft.
Blend with a stick blender.
Serve with cheese to melt into it.

Stars

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 7:06 am
This is a grill pan. We love it because you need no oil to cook the food, it takes fast, tastes delicious and doesn't squeeze the food dry like a George foreman does.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....psc=1

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 7:27 am
Stars wrote:
This is a grill pan. We love it because you need no oil to cook the food, it takes fast, tastes delicious and doesn't squeeze the food dry like a George foreman does.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....psc=1

Just double check the status of a Pregeased pan from a kashrus agency first. They often use lard for greasing

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 8:11 am
Healthy means different things for different ppl.
Turkey tender shawarma-
Turkey tenders from Costco cut into strips
Olive oil- minimum
Spices - I use paprika, turmeric, cinnamon, salt, garlic, pepper, Italian dried herbs, anything I have.
Peppers -all colors cut in strips
Onions- cut in thin strips

If you have the time marinate before-
I usually prep all the turkey as soon as I buy it and freeze it, cuts time later.

1st sautée veggies until soft - add turkey till done - serve
Serve with any starch you feel is healthy

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 12:22 pm
I usually serve some kind of grilled veggies on shabbos. So during the week, I saute an onion and add the leftover vegetables, then add water, herbs like dill, and spices (Tuscan blend, curry, seasoned salt, soup mix if you like it.) If the soup is thin, add some lentils, barley, or a can of white beans. Heat and blend with an immersion blender. (I have a fleishigs one.)

You can add finely chopped leftover chicken or raw pasta and cook for another five minutes or so.

Lots of vegetables and it gets rid of leftovers. I know this isn't an exact recipe, but that's part of the fun.

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 12:48 pm
Iymnok wrote:

Oops sorry, in the cottage cheese egg mixture
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking