Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/o"frummer"-an acceptance exercise-what does YOUR Rav hold?
  Previous  1  2  3  4 9  10  11  Next

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:43 pm
amother wrote:
You are correct; the major allergens must be listed in any quantities now. But most other things don't have to be. As to the source, my dad is a chemical engineer.

ETA: It is possible this has changed. I know it's why we stopped years ago. I imagine it has to do with the definition of trace ingredients, which don't always need to listed.

Ftr, you weren’t the poster I was rolling my eyes at...

little neshamala

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:44 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Why? I thought that was accross the board.

It’s really simple:

The gemarah holds that a woman is considered a yoledet for 2 years after giving birth, hence there are two practical applications for these days:
1. She does not have to fast for 2 years
2. She can easily get a birth control heter in this period

Not sure why...but my Rav doesnt say I dont have to fast.

cnc

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:45 pm
amother wrote:
In Lakewood:

- foods don’t need hechsherim as long as the ingredients are kosher (including on Pesach)

- all gelatin is kosher

- sometimes dairy and meat can even be in oven tog (don’t know details bec never did it)

- sinks, counters, stove tops don’t need to be kashered for Pesach just cleaned well

- you can go to the Mikva with a manicure

That’s just off the top of my head. He also holds some other more stringent things that I didn’t mention as I have a feeling ppl will not have a difficult time accepting those Wink

It’s quite obvious who your Rav is. Smile

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:46 pm
amother wrote:
I am curious what's up with consulting your rav about the minutiae of your life. And whether you pay him a salary, as you would a consultant in any other area of your life.

Couldn't you or your dh research the halacha yourselves?

I'm sincerely asking out of curiosity. I never saw my parents call and ask a shaila. My father would open a few seforim and resolve the question on his own.

Growing up my parents put aside more than $1000.00 to give to the Rav every Pesach and each time he married off a child.

These days my husbands gives our Dayan several thousan dollars every Purim.
It is a given.
We are considered well-off in our community but we scrimp and save to pay full tuition and can barely afford camp and a repainting of a room.

Paying a Rav/Dayan is part of being kosher, and Shabos observant in our family.

don't get me wrong. I do not judge anyone who does this.
Just like nobody judges me for visiting my MIL overseas but staying put because there is no $$$ for sightseeing or shopping.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:46 pm
cnc wrote:
It’s quite obvious who your Rav is. Smile

Oh man was it that obvious LOL LOL LOL

SuperWify

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:49 pm
amother wrote:
superwifey- not everyone will easily give a heter for birth control....

Granted. My DH rav does NOT hold like this. We ask another Rav these questions.

Please see my edit.

And if you are given a hard time you can call Rabbi Gissinger who holds like this. He easily gives two years no questions asked.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:51 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I just heard yesterday that R Moshe was very against BC. Unverified, so take that with a grain of salt.

Yes because in those days it caused so much staining and there was too many shailos.

Not that he was against bc but rather the side effects.

So I have heard.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:53 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Yes because in those days it caused so much staining and there was too many shailos.

So I have heard.

Sounds right. Thanks for explaining.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:53 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Not sure why...but my Rav doesnt say I dont have to fast.

I wonder what he will answer if you present him this argument?

My DH grandfather- a well known posek who shall remain anonymous for obvious reasons- held like this. Bh for me!!

I’m not nursing or pregnant, baby is one, but I really don’t gave energy to fast so it works...

SuperWify

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:55 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Sounds right. Thanks for explaining.

NP. But this is what I heard, not 💯 % sure that that was the case...

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:55 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I wonder what he will answer if you present him this argument?

My DH grandfather- a well known posek who shall remain anonymous for obvious reasons- held like this. Bh for me!!

I’m not nursing or pregnant, baby is one, but I really don’t gave energy to fast so it works...

I was also told I don't have to fast, my sister was told that she does have to fast... bh she's a good faster, and unfortunately I'm a bad faster, so I guess Hashem knew who to send which Rav to Smile .

leah233

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 10:15 pm
SuperWify wrote:

So I have heard.

If that was true how did he ever give a hetter for BC?

And why didn't the allow the methods that couldn't possibly cause staining?

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 10:19 pm
SuperWify wrote:

So I have heard.

I don't think this is true.

He was quite strict about it in general.

My dh checked up recently in igros Moshe regarding it. It was actually specifically after I read on here that there's no halachic basis to it.
He told me that after reading it, he doesn't understand how come our Rabbonim allow it.

And yes, I'm on bc.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 10:21 pm
leah233 wrote:
If that was true how did he ever give a hetter for BC?

And why didn't the allow the methods that couldn't possibly cause staining?

I don't know if he ever gave a heter or not, but I do know that when we asked our Rav, a talmid from R' Moshe, he said straight out "I can't give you a heter, but call Rabbi X". So we did.

happy12

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 10:25 pm
Seas.
We also kasher the oven from mulching to fleishigs and back again by putting it on a high temp. My rav - yeshivish, allows it.
So did my parents , and my father is Mr.Machmir.
She is not mistaken and many people hold this way. (Some wait 24 hours.). This is only for the oven and not for utensils.
Just for the record , some sefardim cook milchig and fleishigs at the same time because they don't hold of belah.

Just because you don't hold of something doesn't mean others are doing anything wrong. This whole post is about differences of opinions in halacha.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 10:26 pm
-women, even girls, don’t have to fast any of the minor fasts only tishah bav and Yom Kippur
- I am in the year now after a parents passing and rabbanim are being surprisingly lenient about attending events. I can be at weddings just not dance and any sort of event where the meal isn’t being served ie buffet style.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 10:32 pm
I found two links online - one from the star k and one from the o-u. They basically say different things Smile. We got a psak like the o-u describes - we kasher from milchig to fleishig using 550 at 60 minutes. So does everyone else I know. I think the problem with kashering from milchig to fleishig and vice versa is just for utensils, not for ovens.

https://oukosher.org/publicati.....oven/

https://www.star-k.org/article.....reve/

Anyway, this was a very interesting read, and I would never have thought to check this out, so thanks, little neshamala!

Fox

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 10:34 pm
My rav permits china made of certain materials to be kashered -- e.g., an inherited set or something that is not guaranteed to be unused.

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 10:45 pm
amother wrote:
In Lakewood:

- foods don’t need hechsherim as long as the ingredients are kosher (including on Pesach)

- all gelatin is kosher

- sometimes dairy and meat can even be in oven tog (don’t know details bec never did it)

- sinks, counters, stove tops don’t need to be kashered for Pesach just cleaned well

- you can go to the Mikva with a manicure

That’s just off the top of my head. He also holds some other more stringent things that I didn’t mention as I have a feeling ppl will not have a difficult time accepting those Wink

How could all gelatin be kosher? The gelatin could come from a pig and it would still be kosher? I understand for health purposes it might be different, but could you cook with pig gelatin???

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 11:03 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
How could all gelatin be kosher? The gelatin could come from a pig and it would still be kosher? I understand for health purposes it might be different, but could you cook with pig gelatin???

I also had this question. It just doesn't make sense, as gelatin in the US is definitely made from non-kosher sources. Perhaps he was referring to capsules, where the heter might be for refuah? Just wondering.
Page 3 of 11   Previous  1  2  3  4 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics