Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you pay your rav/dayan/posek?
Previous  1  2

simba

Post Fri, Feb 23 2018, 7:46 am
Ruchel wrote:
What? NO

Why are you surprised. This is his line of work. How does he then support a family?

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Feb 23 2018, 7:50 am
simba wrote:
Why are you surprised. This is his line of work. How does he then support a family?

If he's employed by a shul with membership dues, he's being paid a salary. In MO shuls, certainly, rabbis earn respectable if not large salaries with full benefits. This is a very good system for many reasons. The rabbi is a professional, not a service provider. And this way, he can answer shailos without any hint of bribery.

octopus

Post Fri, Feb 23 2018, 7:57 am
I have to agree with other posters, a Rav taking money for answering shailos appears unscrupulous. There are times during the year many people give the Rav- when selling chametz- you can give a nice amount, not just a token amount. If Rav makes a simcha you can give a nice gift.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Feb 23 2018, 8:02 am
No way do we pay!
We call dh's rosh yeshiva; We give a nice donation to his yeshiva, as well as a nice food platter once or twice during the year (purim or Chanukah).
We also call a hotline often, so we give tzedokah to that hotline.
But we don't pay any of the rabbonim directly!

SuperWify

Post Fri, Feb 23 2018, 10:12 am
SuperWify wrote:
So practically, how does it work?

How much does he charge per shaila, per meeting?

So curious to know!

Op can you answer?

We pay membership and give with the MM oh and pay for Aliyos (yes, I know I opened a can of worms...) but it’s not official that every time we ask a shaila we get a bill in the mail....

Zehava

Post Fri, Feb 23 2018, 10:39 am
We give tips a couple times a year

mommyhood

Post Fri, Feb 23 2018, 10:55 am
Our main Rav is not the Rav of our shul or any shul so we give donations to his yeshiva at least once a year.
We ask the Rav of our shul shailos occasionally but he gets a salary from the shul and we pay membership fees plus extra contributions.

little neshamala

Post Fri, Feb 23 2018, 11:31 am
Now I really want to know how OP pays her Rav. Looks like I have enough support that what I do isnt really so hideously atrocious (we pay a large shul membership which pays his salary, and there are opportunities for gifts etc)....so being that this thread was started because of me...I would really like the question answered.
OP, Exactly how do you pay your Rav for answering your shaylas? Per shayla? Meeting? And how much do you give?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics