Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Beginning food questions

amother

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 1:25 pm
So far I have given oatmeal, pears, apples, sweet potatoes. I know most fruits veggies you can give but I am too tired to think. Suggestions please?

Also what are some of the 1st real foods you can give when they have teeth?

Is there any specific age at which nursing probably doesnt satisfy the baby's needs? Or it depends on the kid?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 1:38 pm
amother wrote:
So far I have given oatmeal, pears, apples, sweet potatoes. I know most fruits veggies you can give but I am too tired to think. Suggestions please?

Also what are some of the 1st real foods you can give when they have teeth?

Is there any specific age at which nursing probably doesnt satisfy the baby's needs? Or it depends on the kid?

How old is your baby?

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 2:24 pm
bananas, avocado, peas, butternut squash...

I gave challah and leiber's snackers once ds got teeth...wheat crackers or tortilla chips are brittle enough to get into small pieces but too hard to chew and swallow--only once ds was almost 2 was he able to eat them without choking. the snackers pretty much dissolve bc there is so much sugar, and I never saw a problem with challah either. I've seen mothers give smashed up cheerios. (not honey nut!)

BennysMommy

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 2:55 pm
All the ideas above sound great. My son loved bananas and avocados.

I make fruit smoothies for my baby. In the beginning I would do it a lot with pears, apples, bananas and (fresh squeezed) orange juice. Now I just throw in whatever fresh or frozen fruits I have.

They don't sell applesauce here so I make my own from scratch in the crockpot. It comes out delicious! It usually lasts about a week or two and I mix it in to oatmeal, baby cereal, or wheatina.

Smashed up veggies from the chicken soup is always tasty. If you want to be really good you can make the chicken soup without the salt and take out what u need for the baby. Add the salt after.

I gave my baby crackers (melba toast) before he had teeth, but I know other mothers that wouldn't. I think you have to know your own baby and sit with them when they're eating something like that and make sure they don't choke. If my baby would have choked on crackers even once, I would have taken them away and given them back when his teeth came in.

MrsLeo

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 6:22 pm
What age babies are you all talking about?
My daughter is 5 months and I feel so bad when im sitting by the table on shabbos eating and she just watches us but im scared to give her anything.
I tried giving her a piece of cucumber but I dont know if its safe.
PS. She doesnt have any teeth yet.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 6:40 pm
I hope nobody thought I would feed my ds crackers that made him choke on purpose....

it happenned once at first bc I was offerring him something new and I watche dhim like a hawk... and I took it away. Then every couple months as he was able to chew better, I'd try again. My neighbors dd was eating them by 1 yr, so I didn't think it was crazy to try. It took over a year until he could eat those crackers, but I wasn't going to know if he could eat them without trying.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics