Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Translating

amother

Post Mon, Nov 05 2007, 1:37 pm
I am fluent in both Russian and English (Russian is my mother language but I am equally comfortable in either one). I am currently working full time in something completely unrelated to translating. But I am expecting our second, be"H, and would really really like to get a job where I can work from home. I am the main bread-winner (my husband is learning, PLEASE no debates here) so it can't be something very part time.

Does anybody work in or know anything about carriers in translating? Is it all connected to writing or is there something that can be done over the phone or in person (like in banks, hospitals etc). Also, is it a hard field to get into?

I would appreciate any leads or ideas (btw, I am in US).

shalhevet

Post Mon, Nov 05 2007, 3:50 pm
Are you talking about translating or interpreting? Interpreting is a different skill.

I translate from home, from Hebrew into English but I am based in Israel. What exactly do you want to know?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 05 2007, 4:04 pm
I am not sure myself what I am asking specifically Tongue Out

I have a skill of knowing 2 languages and was wondering if there is a way to make money with that....is the difference between translating and interpreting that the first is written and the second one oral?

shalhevet

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 10:57 am
You say you know both languages equally well. But do you know one really, really excellently? I think it is more important to have one really strong language, even if the other one is just very good, so that you'll have good style.

Interpreting (speech) and translation (writing) are two different jobs, although some people do both.

I studied a translation course, and I feel it gave me excellent skills and was well worth the time and money. But there are some translators who never had formal training and will say they don't think it's necessary.

I think translation is a great job for a frum woman, because you can make a decent living from home and freelance, which means you can (in theory at least) take on less work erev YT etc. But, you really can't work with little children around, so you still to send to a babysitter once they aren't small babies. You really need 100% concentration. But again, you can choose your own hours and work more at night.

If you want to try without a course you can approach translation agencies and they will usually give you a test (if they even bother replying). Remember, the most important thing is to make it sound good in the target language, as if it had originally been written in that language. A good translation course really helps you acquire this skill and avoid your text sounding like it was written in 'translationese'.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 11:07 am
Thank you so much shalhevet for responding. Do you know anything about interpreting?

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 11:17 am
you can try calling Targem Translations, 718 384 8040 and offering your services.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 11:28 am
amother wrote:
Thank you so much shalhevet for responding. Do you know anything about interpreting?

Nope, except I could never do it in a million years. LOL

I actually do know there is consecutive interpretation (where they wait for you to interpret) and simultaneous translation which is harder and better paid.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 11:43 am
The reason I was thinking more in terms of interpreting is because I am more of a math person, and though I do write OK (you can understand me, right? Smile ) I wouldn't say I am fabulous at it...

amother

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 11:45 am
Mama Bear wrote:
you can try calling Targem Translations, 718 384 8040 and offering your services.

Thanks so much Mama Bear!! I sent them an email asking them for more info.....

shalhevet

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 12:00 pm
Now I remember there is an American Translators' association (ATA). Try googling and contact them for further info about courses/ how to go about starting out.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 12:08 pm
Make sure you don't need degrees you don't have before starting.

I once thought about it, and asked the teacher who is directing my master thesis... she told me, if you don't have a master and a translation school degree, forget it unless you have connexion... (I mean, forget to make a living, but it's probably ok as a small second salary if your dh works).

shalhevet

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 12:19 pm
We've had this discussion before, Ruchel. I have a feeling that academics like to feel justified about all the time and effort they've put into studying. The truth in the market place though (and today the world is one big market especially for an easily emailed commodity like translation, so don't tell me it's different in France), is that if you translate well you will find work and no-one could care less if you have three doctorates or you never set foot inside a university.

I had no connections at all, but you can find them by joining a translators' association in your country and going to events, or by being on translators' email lists.

Higher education can help in that you have knowledge of a certain subject and you can then specialize in that subject.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 12:25 pm
Quote:
you translate well you will find work and no-one could care less if you have three doctorates or you never set foot inside a university.

I doubt they're going to loose time and test you.
You will forgive me, but I think I'll believe my teacher on that, especially when I have also been told this by people who tried and failed because they lacked either the university or the school degree.

Now, again, I'm not talking of a second/small salary! I am talking about making a living.

Ima'la

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 12:31 pm
Yes they will - it is very usual to be asked to do a sample before you are hired.

I have only a B.A. And it's in a totally different field!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 12:35 pm
A sample is just a sample. Unless you're famous in the translating field, or unless uncle Arnie or cousin Eddie can "push" you, they won't take the risk if you don't have a degree. Of course, you can always find exceptions, that's why you can still gain something. But, according to what I have been told by very different people in different translationg fields and at different times (from the very successful to those who really failed), that something is not enough. If you want "pocketmoney", it's more than enough. Paying the kids' Jewish school, could be. But according to all, not a living. Maybe their idea of not enough is not those of the posters here, I don't know.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 1:16 pm
In the heimishe velt, like for targem, you dont need a degree!!! they use heimishe people as their employees.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 1:29 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
In the heimishe velt, like for targem, you dont need a degree!!! they use heimishe people as their employees.

That's why I asked her to check before beginning. If it's fine, it's fine! I am not familiar at all with working only for the frum (I don't imagine it would be easy to make a living like this in France unless as an employee of a frum restaurant or shop). I also realize in France it's all about the degree and you find very frum people going to university or getting a degree in sem/yeshiva.

But still, unless you work with an organization made for people without a degree like Targem, I don't agree you can make a living generally.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 1:36 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Quote:
you translate well you will find work and no-one could care less if you have three doctorates or you never set foot inside a university.

I doubt they're going to loose time and test you.

Ruchel, no-one ever asks me, ever, if I have a degree or even if I studied translation. Anyone interested either hears a recommendation and takes you and/or asks for a sample. It's standard practice in the translation world. Of course knowing your Uncle Arnie might help in someone contacting you in the first place or in an agency that has enough people being willing to spend time trying you out.

Quote:

You will forgive me, but I think I'll believe my teacher on that, especially when I have also been told this by people who tried and failed because they lacked either the university or the school degree.

Maybe they failed because they were no good, or didn't persevere. It takes time to start getting recommendations from one satisfied customer to another. I explained already why your teacher says that - she teaches in the university, so she is subjective in her view, and can't 'allow' herself to believe that someone could succeed without what she views as the passport to success.

Quote:

Now, again, I'm not talking of a second/small salary! I am talking about making a living.

Do I have to explain this again? When people look for someone to provide them with a service they care if they are good. Do you honestly think someone is going to hire a translator without trying them out or without them being recommended just because they have a Masters? Even in translation studies?
The excellent (and fast) translators can make a very nice living.

Oh, one minute, are you talking about literary translation? You can't really make much money out of it, because it is very slow.
But if you do business/financial/medical/academic/technical/other specialized translations you can certainly make a nice living.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 1:48 pm
Quote:
Ruchel, no-one ever asks me, ever, if I have a degree or even if I studied translation.

I believe you!
I just say this doesn't seem to be the common experience around me.

Quote:

Maybe they failed because they were no good, or didn't persevere.

Certainly for some of them. What about those who said "they always took those from the translation school because they were not willing to take a risk"?

Quote:

I explained already why your teacher says that - she teaches in the university, so she is subjective in her view, and can't 'allow' herself to believe that someone could succeed without what she views as the passport to success.

what about those who didn't go to university or translation school and said they failed because people didn't even want to try them?

Quote:
Do you honestly think someone is going to hire a translator without trying them out or without them being recommended just because they have a Masters? Even in translation studies?

Nope. But they are not going to hire someone without the master unless they don't have anyone with a master around. Which doesn't happen often enough to make a living, according to what I hear.

Quote:

Oh, one minute, are you talking about literary translation? You can't really make much money out of it, because it is very slow.
But if you do business/financial/medical/academic/technical/other specialized translations you can certainly make a nice living.

Definitely literary is supposed to be the worst.

Maybe I'll tell my mom to ask again (she knows many people in the field) and see if it has changed, but I doubt it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics