Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working in an Office vs Teaching

Starhavah

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 6:19 pm
I am a certified teacher and I have several years of management experience (some of it managing teachers but some of it managing people in their late teens and 20's). Anyway, I am unemployed and I need a job. I want to work in an office but I do not type well. I type fine when I am typing from my brain but when I have to type off a letter that someone else wrote, I keep looking back to the computer to make sure I did not make mistakes. I think I am not confident that I actually know where the keys are, despite the fact that I never actually look at the keys when I am typing from my brain.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can raise my typing speed. How can I get myself to stop looking at the screen to check for mistakes?

Star Havah

Maya

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 6:31 pm
I have a similar problem; I can only type when looking at the screen. I rarely type looking down at the paper. I memorize what I need to type.

There are many computer software programs, or even plain discs ( you might find s/t free on Google) that will help you practice your typing. Maybe u try that.

mumoo

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 12:07 am
I may know of a job for you- a Rabbi asked me several weeks ago and may have filled italready, but, maybe not..... pm me if you are interested. I would like to speak to you to see if it is a good shiddduch. of course I would need to ask if it is still available, but I'll do that at work tomorrow.

btw- I am also a certified teacher, now running a kollel office and I can only type if I look at the keys! Some things are more important than wpm

Seraph

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 3:57 am
they have these clips that clip on to the side of the monitor, to holkd papers on that level, so you dont have to look down while typing. I find them helpful.

catonmylap

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 4:43 am
Are there still secretaries that type?

Since I've been in the workforce, I've seen very little if any of that. Everyone always types their own documents etc. It is extremely old fashioned to hand a secretary something hand-writeen to type.

mumoo

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 9:42 am
yeah, we type- even if there is an existing document, sometimes it needs editing and re-composition

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 10:06 am
our office has a typrwriter, even.

Starhavah

Post Sat, Dec 08 2007, 7:12 pm
Someone on this tread PM'ed me that they knew of a rabbi who had an opening in his shul/office. I tried to PM the woman back but the message went to the wrong woman and I no longer have the original. If anyone here sent me that message, please PM me again. I am very interested.

Havah
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics