Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Left from move

amother

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 3:38 pm
Ok...in your opinion, what is the status of things left in the house after a move?

When we moved in , the previous people had left a LOT of stuff and we put it in the garage. They had only moved locally so still live in town. They came the second sunday and took some of hte stuff. the guy told dh that he would be back later in the day and dh, being nice, told him not to stress and any time durin the week would be fine. He called today...6 weeks after moving out, 4 weeks after that conversation, to say he wanted to get the stuff --- if it was convenient for us. Then he also said that he was taking the curtain blind they had left in the livinf room...

Dh and this couple had arranged that we would buy some of their window treatments and light fixtures...but they were very evasive abut which ones...(at least that is what I got from dh.) I personally think that they didn't want it and then couldn't find a replacement so have now changed their minds and want it.

Come on, how long do you take advantage of other people being nice. They had the ceder closet int he basement full of stuff!

They also wanted us to buy their dishwasher and we said no. But they left it anyway. Do they actually have the right to call tomorrow and say that they want it?

grrr I am just so aggravated because there were numerous things in the whole process where we felt that they were totally inconsiderate (reneging on agreed moveout date by a week) and this just seems sooo wrong to me.

If you are moving out take all of you stuff. Or can I charge them storage!

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 3:43 pm
speak to your lawyer. if they're not moved out by the appointed date, they should have to pay you rent, it's probably in the contract.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 3:49 pm
I'm no lawyer but I suspect anything left behind once you take ownership and possession of the home becomes your property unless there is a specific stipulation otherwise in the sales contract.

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 3:55 pm
hey ... once they move out ... it is all garbage as far as you're concerned ... that is beyond rude of them to think otherwise and to take advantage ...

maidale

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 4:00 pm
I would give them the LAST chance today. Be clear, tell thel that they need to take all their stuff from the basement or you'll bbe giving it away to charity, and as for the dishwasher, don't mention it, but tell them that this is the LAST time they're stepping into your house? Whatever they don't take now isn't theirs anymore... I think that's what I'd do...

cdawnr

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 4:17 pm
OP here
Greenfire they are finally offrering to come and get it...but I am just so annoyed. And then she callred and I said ok to come and she said within a half hour -- that was an hour ago.

As far as taking ownership -- my opinion is that it probably is whatever is left.. but I don't know legally and does anyone know halachically, I meam would these be lost items- sort of?

whats tough is that most people know who used to live here so I am hesitant even to ask the rule...I don't want to cause ill will or bad word in the community

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 5:58 pm
did you BUY the house, or are you renting it?

If you baught the house and its legally yours, they can't come and take the curtains blind or fixtures away Confused

it's part of the house, it belongs to you.

any fixture in the house belongs to you

as far as the dishwasher is concerned, I think (but it may be different depending on locality) that they have to specify in the contract if they are taking it and if they don't, its yours.

you really need to look into the legality of what they are doing. Do you have a contract and lawyer?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 7:38 pm
I work for 2 real estate lawyers plus have my own experince with moving and leaving things behind that I wanted....bottom line is, you can't insist that you get your stuff back.

happyone

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 10:05 pm
When I bought my house the original owners also asked if I would buy their fixtures, some extra storage cabinets etc. When I said no, they left it all behind anyhow. I was sure they'll come pick it up. I was told, whatever they left behind can be used as I please. In fact, in the contract, there was a date that if they are not out by that date, they have to pay me rent.

GAMZu

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 12:28 am
Don't take this from them! Tell them you'll gladly store it for $600 a month, with even one day into the month being counted as a full month.

You will do so for 3 months before throwing it out.

Pickups by appointment only, and don't answer the door out of the scheduled meeting.

redhot

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 9:29 am
I agree with everyone else. Unless it was specified in your contract, once u close and have a walk thru, and get the keys- the house and e/t in it is yours. They have no right to store anything there that they expect to ocme back and get. I would call your lawyer. You paid him/her for a reason! They cant keep bugging you about coming back to get things. About the curtains- I wouldnt allow them to take it. It is yours now. Find out for sure htough by asking a rav and calling your lawyer
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette