Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby Formula

Lilkingdom

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 10:10 pm
I've been giving my newborn similac (milk based) and she got extremely constipated. I heard it's a very heavy formula and could have that affect. So I switched to the milkbased materna. She is much better now but I think she still is a little constipated at times. Is there any formula that is lighter than materna? Are soy or other nonmilk formulas better?

cindy324

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 10:15 pm
Not sure if other formulas are lighter, but I wouldn't switch to soy unless your baby couldn't tolerate it. Did you just start her on formula recently? It tends to happen in the beginning , but it should sort itself out after awhile. Ask your doc before you switch to non milk based formula.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 10:27 pm
I was told that switching formulas is very hard on a newborn's system and should not be done unless absolutely necessary, I.e. the baby is showing signs of allergy, throwing up frequently, etc. So I would think about other ways to deal with the slight constipation than switching formulas. See what your pediatrician says.

Lilkingdom

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 10:59 pm
Yes I used similac from the start. She is 3 1/2 weeks now and for the first two weeks I used the premade similac bottles like the ones they give in the hospitals. Then I switched to the same thing in powder. Thats when she became constipated. It's weird because I thought they are the same but I guess not.

I switched to materna two days ago and she's had more bowl movements since then but I still hear her pushing hard sometimes and giving up because nothing comes. Then she cries. But she does go out more than when she was on the similac powder.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 6:00 pm
I started my baby on the same soy that all my others were on. She screamed like crazy when she would make as if she was in terrible pain. The doctor kept saying it wasn't the formula and kept telling me to try different things. After 4 weeks he wanted to start her on meds.
I had a feeling from the begining that it was the formula, so as soon as he said to medicate, I took matters into my own hands and switched her to materna dairy. Within 3 bm's she was a different child. I heard of someone who watched her kid suffer a year because the doctor also said not to switch and when she finally did it anyways she had a different child too.
I am not saying that the doctors don't know what they are talking about, but if you have a gut instinct-sometimes you have to follow it because we have this intuition.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics