Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Cookbooks

Momof2kiddies

Post Sun, Sep 16 2007, 7:29 pm
So after our first set of a 3 day yuntif I decided that I need a new cookbook. I cannot just keep making the same things over and over. However, I dont want to just spend $25 on a cookbook with only a few easy/good recipes...been there done that. Any recommendations for really good and useful cookbooks? thanks!

anon

Post Sun, Sep 16 2007, 9:28 pm
I've heard great things about "What's Cooking?". I heard from many that the recipes are simple and tasty. And it's a relatively cheap cookbook, I think under $20.

Nikki

Post Sun, Sep 16 2007, 10:18 pm
The Balabasta's Choice is a great cookbook. I also like the Garden of Eating. Also the whole series of Kosher By Design is great too. But if you had to chose one I would chose the first one Kosher Pallette.

boruchhashem

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 12:39 am
I have quite a few, and the Silver Spoon, is by far the best. I just got done marinating my silver tip roast in a cranberry sauce that I made from there. I want to try all their recipes, they sound easy and delicious.

farmom

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 1:21 am
I have very limited access to ingredients. Which cookbooks have good recipes that call for basic ingredients?

(I have the Spice and Spirit and the Balabusta's Handbook. I also have KBD Entertains somewhere, but I haven't even bothered unpacking that because I remember that it calls for hard-to-get ingredients.)

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 5:35 am
The spice and spirit, if you don't have it. And the koshe pallette or kosher by design are both good.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 9:38 am
you can get tons of recipes online for free. why not just google fish , salad, or whatever you are interested in?

you can also get cookbooks at the library and cheaply, used, on half.com or ebay or amazon.

lamplighter

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 6:55 pm
CM can u recommend good websites/reliably tasty....which cookbooks specifically?

Henya

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 7:05 pm
[quote="Nikki"]The Balabasta's Choice is a great cookbook. quote]

Yup! I use The Balabusta's choice the most from all my cookbooks. Definitely my favorite one!

anuta

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 7:53 pm
Out of all the websites, I love www.allrecipes.com

It is very well organized, and it got reviews for each recipe that people left... I get a lot of recipes from there, and most are keepers. You can search by ingredient, they have a very sophisticated detailed search feature; you can exclude ingredients (for example, you can search for a chicken dish, and exclude "milk", "sour cream", "cheese" etc - it is not a kosher cooking site)...

Momof2kiddies

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 8:13 pm
what are some of your favorite recipes from the balabasta's choice? I have the cookbook but don't really make too much from it all. maybe I should reconsider.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 9:05 pm
I generally get my recipes from online sources. It's just convenient b/c then you're able to look for specific recipes for ingredients that you currently have - you're able to search through several different recipes until you find one that you like.

I generally just google the recipes, but I'll often use cooks.com, recipezaar, and allrecipes.com.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 9:07 pm
you can also ask friends.

mugsisme

Post Mon, Oct 01 2007, 12:57 pm
I love getting expensive books from the library. I often check Amazon to see reviews, and then take the ISPN number to my library. We can do an inter-library loan. It does take a few weeks, but I got a sewing book that would have cost me over a hundred dollars to buy!

Amazon is also great because you can see reviews.

That said, I do google most of the recipes I want. (Like a few weeks ago I wanted a new salmon recipe. I typed in salmon and just sifted through the recipes. You can also type in more than one word, like rosemary honey potatoes and see what you come up with.)

Leah

cookielady

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 11:49 am
mimi's cyber kitchen is a great source for alot of recipes.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 2:47 pm
Spice and Spirit is a must have.

KBD Entertains is a great cookbook (and I don't think the ingredients are too hard to find). Confused

loveit

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 3:56 pm
kosher palette II (I liked it MUCH better than the first, the recipes were more my style I guess?)

Mevater

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 9:12 pm
Did "The Peppermill " (5015 16th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11204) come out with their cookbook yet? If yes, has anyone bought it and formed an opinion?

I thought I saw it advertised in Hamodia, so it's probably out.

yoyosma

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 9:14 pm
I just got The Kosher Palette 2 on ebay for $9.
If you do a search, you should find it, there is a seller who is selling a bunch of them and has good feedback.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics