Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Did you ever go to the REBBI for a Dollar and a Bracha?
1  2  Next

ny21

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 6:43 pm
What did he say to you? did the bracha happen for you?

ny21

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 6:45 pm
my mom and sis went to the rebbi right before he became ill .
he said to my mom "things will be good'
a few months later my sis had a healthy boy .

Last edited by ny21 on Wed, Nov 21 2007, 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

ny21

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 6:47 pm
once when they had to go over a bridge they both had no money on them
and they had to give the toll booth collector their Dollar.
they wrote on it that this was a special dollar from the rebbi .

amother

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 6:58 pm
are you talking about the lubavitcher rebbi? my family went to the rebbi for a bracha because at age 2 my sister wasn't walking yet nor crawling. she only sat. The rebbi gave a bracha and a dollar and my sister walked that week shabbos without even crawling!! It was an open nes. We aren't lubavitch but have lubavitcher relatives. The rebbi gave each of us kids a dollar and my parents have it saved in an envelope all these years.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 7:25 pm
Just for clarifications sake, the dollars the Rebbe gave out were intended to be given as tzedoka.
Most people exchanged that dollar for a dollar of their own to give to tzedoka and kept the Rebbe's dollar for themselves.

just thought I should mention that as some people seem to be unaware what the dollars were about. The Rebbe wasn't just handing them out for the fun of it. He was making us his shluchim to give out tzedoka

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 7:27 pm
also the dollar wasn't the brocha. The brocha was whatever the Rebbe gave when one passed him, and possibly also by partaking in the mitzva of tzedoka that assisted in it being fullfilled.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 7:32 pm
Also, the Rebbe often mentioned that one should add some of their own money when giving or exchanging it for tzedaka.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 7:47 pm
I wish! We became frum and Lubavitchers after Gimel Tamuz.

Squash

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 8:07 pm
I went a couple of times as a young kid. We didn't speak, just got the dollar and general brocha. I have a picture of one time that I went.

We are not Lubavitchers, although my father used to go quite a bit.

chavamom

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 8:30 pm
Boy do I feel old. I went before I went to Seminary. And that was quite a few years before gimmel tammuz.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 8:41 pm
I went to the Rebbe was I was two with my parents. My family is not lubaviitch at all but my parents had lubavitchers as influences when they became frum. Anyway so my mother was carrying me and the Rebbe handed me the dollar. I handed it back to him. He handed me the dollar. I handed it back again. It happened like that for one more time and the Rebbe laughed! And then he handed the dollar to my mother and said, "this is for the Maidele". And I think he said something like I should always be giving or something....

chavamom

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 8:54 pm
So I'll tell you a "dollar story". There is a man who is a "well known" ba'al teshuva, when he was first learning in Israel, he used to come to us for meals. He told us a story about how he became frum. He had been diagnosed with a horrible disease based on scans. He came to NYC for treatment and someone suggested that he should send someone to get a bracha for him. His girl friend decided it couldn't hurt and went. She stopped in line and told the Rebbe, "My boyfriend is very sick", the rebbe said to her, "you can tell your boyfriend he is going to hear good news soon." She started to walk away with her dollar and he called her back and said, "good news, make sure you tell him I said 'good news'."

That week he had surgery (I'm guessing it was a biopsy) and he says the first thing he remembers when he awoke from the anesthesia was someone standing by his bed saying, "Good news! There is nothing there - you're fine." shock

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 9:07 pm
wow, I just got shivers from reading that story. thanks for sharing it Smile

momluv

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 10:11 pm
yeah. that's a scary story.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 10:14 pm
scary? I wouldn't say scary

momluv

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 10:15 pm
it has a good ending but it gives me the goosebumps.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 10:28 pm
I remember when the Rebbe opened my baby dd's tiny hand and put a nickel in it. She was only a few months old.

redhot

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 10:50 pm
im not lubavich but I remember when I was in elementary school my best friend went to the Rebbi and got a bracha and a dollar and I was soo jealous. I wanted to go so badly.

also- what is gimel tamuz?

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 4:35 am
Gimel Tamuz was the date, 13 years ago, when the Rebbe passed on.

suomynona

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 4:47 am
I went with my family when I was 11 years old. But the lines were so long, that the women never made it in. Only my father and my brother went.

I'm not lubavitch, but my father had lubav leanings as a teenager, so he still feels some sort of kesher.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics