Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Corn muffin kugel...?
1  2  Next

EsaEinai

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 3:11 pm
im in search of a recipe, but not sure what its called... I had them at someones house a long time ago and loved them... it was basically a corn muffin kugel thing... they look like little baby corn muffins, but theyre not a dessert, theyre a kugel sort of side dish... confusing, I know. anyways, if anyone has a recipe, id love to hear it.

WaitingtoDeliver

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 3:39 pm
I just made the recipe for golden corn muffins from the Purple cookbook. I made them for a fleishik meal so I substituted the milk with soy milk. They are quite yummy.

If you don't have the recipe, I will post it.

EsaEinai

Post Fri, Nov 23 2007, 4:58 pm
I found the recipe. thank you so much. ill give it a try Smile yum... cant wait to taste them...

happy2beme

Post Wed, Nov 28 2007, 12:52 pm
Esa, how were they?

loveit

Post Wed, Nov 28 2007, 2:10 pm
If they were good, do you mind posting the recipe? Or actually, you could just give me the page number and I'll get it, thanks!

Mommy F.

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 6:17 pm
this recipe is from the uncommonly kosher cook book - just put it into a muffin tray instead of an 8x8 inch pan:

4 Tbsp. margarine (I use oil)
1/4 cup of sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. baking powder
1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (15 oz) can cream style corn

Mix margarine, sugar, eggs, baking powder, and corns together.
Pour mixture into a greased 8x8-inch pan. Bake, at 350 for 1 hour. (bake for less time for muffins)

elf123

Post Thu, Feb 26 2009, 8:00 pm
How long would you say to bake that last recipe as muffins? And how many would it make?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 26 2009, 8:04 pm
that's cornbread !

louche

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 10:09 am
chocolate moose wrote:
that's cornbread !

shhh, cm, "cornbread" is obviously non jewish food, unfit for yiddish consumption. call it "corn kugel" Rolling Eyes and it's now acceptable.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 10:22 am
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 10:37 am
EsaEinai wrote:
im in search of a recipe, but not sure what its called... I had them at someones house a long time ago and loved them... it was basically a corn muffin kugel thing... they look like little baby corn muffins, but theyre not a dessert, theyre a kugel sort of side dish... confusing, I know. anyways, if anyone has a recipe, id love to hear it.

Why are they not a dessert? It could be served for dessert. Like CM said, it sounds like cornbread.

elf123

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 10:38 am
Well, I made that corn kugel recipe as muffins and it flopped. They puffed up before they were cooked inside and then shrunk back down. I baked them for around 35 minutes (before that they were wet inside) and they were impossible to get out of the muffin tins. They tasted delicious, so it's not the recipe, it's just that they probably couldn't have been made as muffins without some kind of a modification. So until further notice, make it in a regular pan!

Freckles

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 12:29 pm
Just wanted to add a note about whether it can be dessert or not...seems to me this is very subjective! I mean, try explaining to a non-frum person that cranberry-apple crumble is part of the main meal! If anything corn bread/kugel sounds less dessert-like than the crumbles we tend to make...but I'm sure it would make a fine dessert if you chose to serve it that way. Enjoy!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 12:43 pm
elf123 wrote:
Well, I made that corn kugel recipe as muffins and it flopped.

Everything doesn't translate well. I'm sorry yours didn't turn out. If I don't have a corn muffin recipe posted here, pm me and I can give you a nice one.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 12:43 pm
Freckles wrote:
Just wanted to add a note about whether it can be dessert or not...seems to me this is very subjective! I mean, try explaining to a non-frum person that cranberry-apple crumble is part of the main meal! If anything corn bread/kugel sounds less dessert-like than the crumbles we tend to make...but I'm sure it would make a fine dessert if you chose to serve it that way. Enjoy!

A Hungarian will understand.

elf123

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 1:27 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
elf123 wrote:

Everything doesn't translate well. I'm sorry yours didn't turn out. If I don't have a corn muffin recipe posted here, pm me and I can give you a nice one.

Thanks for your offer, although I definitely have corn bread/muffin recipes. The one I tried was a muffin version of the corn kugel. Corn kugel IS actually different than corn bread or muffins, it is not dry. It is really more like a kugel, using canned corn. The truth is, I've made it as a kugel before and it IS delicious, it just didn't come out well as muffins. And from the OP's description, it really did sound like she was talking about something more like what I made and not "plain" corn muffins. And BTW, cornbread is definitely a side dish, even for non-frum people. But still, the corn kugel is more "kugle-y."

louche

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 1:40 pm
elf123 wrote:

cornbread is definitely a side dish, even for non-frum people.

when I was in summer camp, cornbread was served as dessert with a design on top made by sifting powdered sugar over a doily laid on top of the cornbread. All depends on how sweet you like things.

Shalshelet

Post Sat, Feb 28 2009, 9:02 pm
Mommy F. wrote:
this recipe is from the uncommonly kosher cook book - just put it into a muffin tray instead of an 8x8 inch pan:

4 Tbsp. margarine (I use oil)
1/4 cup of sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. baking powder
1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (15 oz) can cream style corn

Mix margarine, sugar, eggs, baking powder, and corns together.
Pour mixture into a greased 8x8-inch pan. Bake, at 350 for 1 hour. (bake for less time for muffins)

Thanks Mommy F. for sharing! I made this in 2 loaf pans on Friday (one for Shabbos and 1 for the freezer) and it came out delicious! Although I did use margarine, not oil, I needed to blend in the margarine clumps when I mixed everything up. next time I'll try creaming marg and sugar together before adding the rest.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Feb 28 2009, 9:11 pm
elf123 wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
elf123 wrote:

Thanks for your offer, although I definitely have corn bread/muffin recipes. The one I tried was a muffin version of the corn kugel. Corn kugel IS actually different than corn bread or muffins, it is not dry. It is really more like a kugel, using canned corn. The truth is, I've made it as a kugel before and it IS delicious, it just didn't come out well as muffins. And from the OP's description, it really did sound like she was talking about something more like what I made and not "plain" corn muffins. And BTW, cornbread is definitely a side dish, even for non-frum people. But still, the corn kugel is more "kugle-y."

you can use canned corn in a corn muffin too. but OK.

mimivan

Post Sat, Feb 28 2009, 11:26 pm
louche wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
that's cornbread !

shhh, cm, "cornbread" is obviously non jewish food, unfit for yiddish consumption. call it "corn kugel" Rolling Eyes and it's now acceptable.

non jewish?
I made kosher biscuits and gravy when I was madly craving Southern food during my first pregnancy (but you can't drink milk with your coffee with THAT breakfast...or you can if it's soy).. Wink
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes