Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Pta tsoris
1  2  Next

imaamy

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 11:29 pm
My two attend a day school of about 140 families. At monthly PTA meetings we have no more than 10 moms! Many of the teachers are also parents. We've tried meeting days and evenings, people just don't participate. Any ideas? Question

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 11:24 am
how about asking parents, individually, why they didn't come

that should be enlightening

micki

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 12:34 pm
tsoris or stories?

miriam

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 12:46 pm
one word. FOOD.

Tefila

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 1:07 pm
Quote:
one word. FOOD

LOL LOL LOL LOL Probably True too!!!!!

dina

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 1:40 pm
have a raffle...

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 1:45 pm
sorry, I think it's quite pathetic that parents need to be enticed to come and speak to their children's teachers

miriam

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 2:20 pm
Motek, Once children are in school, some parents relax and let the teachers educate their children. It's a comfort knowing their children are being taken care of. It pretty much ends there. Some are just not interested b/c they feel their child's needs are being met. It is sad but it's true.

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 2:23 pm
Quote:
Once children are in school, some parents relax and let the teachers educate their children.

big mistake

Quote:
Some are just not interested

pathetic

zuncompany

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 3:21 pm
Some are so busy all day with work, than come home and need to spend some time with their children. I know my mom used to be super active in PTA when we first started school. By the time I was 10 I would beg her to miss the meetings cause I wanted time with her. The only time I had was after dinner for the hour or two. I am sure by the time we were in bed the last thing she was up to was going to a meeting. She was zonked.

So, there are parents who want to be involved who it just doesn't work for them. For me I am lucky cause I am home all day with the kids and my husband is willing to stay with the kids if I have something in the evening. Not all husbands are willing. Before you condem them... find out the reasons behind why they aren't coming.

Sara

Tefila

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 3:30 pm
And some are given the run down daily eigther b/c they teach in the same school or they drop their kids off and teachers like to fill them in then etc So the P T A meeting is just to reinforce that and some feel why bother?
and
Quote:
Once children are in school, some parents relax and let the teachers educate their children.

Big Mistake Exclamation as u can see I agree Smile

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 3:39 pm
Freilichi think she is talking about pta as in meetings to discuss events for schools, ways to raise money...not pta as conferences with teachers to see how you're kids are doing...

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 3:44 pm
true, if they teach in the same school, or appear there and speak to the teachers at other times, or on the phone, then they don't need to show up for another meeting

Quote:
So, there are parents who want to be involved who it just doesn't work for them.

my opinion:

parents must find a way to be involved

it will work for those who want to make it work, for the vast majority of parents

chas v'shalom, if someone is ill or in unusual circumstances - I'm not talking about them

it doesn't have to be PTA night, but they must speak to their children's teachers, better yet - they should meet them. A child spends ten months with someone and talks about them all year (and for years to come). Parents should know what they look like. More important for mothers to meet morahs and fathers to meet rebbis, but both parents can meet both morah and rebbis and that can only benefit the child.

zuncompany

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 5:01 pm
Motek, I agree. But PTA meetings they don't meet with the teachers. Thats not what PTA is about.

Sara

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 6:01 pm
I guess the name "PTA" is used differently in different places.
here it means parent-teacher-conference night.

big mistake to rely on teachers for your children's education.

I notice that teachers are much more willing to work with a child when the parents show interest in their own child's school- life.

micki

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 8:20 pm
we just had our first pta night- parent teacher confrences.
my husband and I both went- we were sooo curious to see her place and it was important enough for BOTH of us to be there. we were so excited.
yet once we got there it was the biggest waste of time. the teachers did not tell us ANYTHING we didn't already know.
we will still both go cause we know how important it is to appear involved and yes they measure involvment this way but I really don't expect to gain anything from the meetings.
I get more from talking to my daughter and doing homework and looking at previous schoolwork done.

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 8:57 pm
micki, even though you know your daughters progress and you are an involved parent, I think it makes the children happy that you go. my parents would always leave me a little treat and note under my desk on pta nights and when I cmae the next morning I felt so special. why not go get extra nachas?

micki

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 9:42 pm
you are right- my daughter could not wait to hear what her teacher had to say about her. so I will continue to go and enjoy that they have only good to say. as my father says a very boring report.

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 9:43 pm
micki: even if you didn't hear anything you didn't know before, you saw the place where your daughter spends her day and you met the teachers she spends her day with

I think it was worth your going just for that!

plus yes, your daughter is happy you went, and it's good that the teacher saw you show up

please don't consider it a waste of time!

micki

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 9:55 pm
not arguing just pointing out that they have this 3 times a year. so once I do it once am I exempt? just kidding I would always go- the most important reason being that my daughter is excited and wants me to. and to show my kids that school is important - so much so that I'll take the time off and go.

hey as a side note- can going be considered a date? both me and my hubby had to look nice, get a babysitter, he opened all the doors for me, we chatted in the hall waiting for our turn, and we were together!!!
ok- if only to get a date I'll go.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children