Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Babka/kokosh cake tips and hints
1  2  Next

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 01 2007, 8:19 pm
I have tried to make it and whereas I can make decent cinnamon buns, I think I can't roll the dough out thinly enough for good babka/kokosh cake.

A friend said she rolls hers out, fills it, rolls it up, and twists it about 5 times.. She then doubles it, and twists it a bunc h of times again, before baking.

Does anyone think the twisting is the secret?

cookielady

Post Sat, Dec 01 2007, 8:26 pm
Yes! I do that and it's great.

bashinda

Post Sat, Dec 01 2007, 10:11 pm
I've never done babka but after a couple of tries I think I'm getting the kokosh cake. I don't spend tons of time rolling it out ultra thin. The filling is very chocolaty and I make sure that on the side that's going to be the end I don't put filling (but everywhere else I'm generous) and then roll it up only I think 3 times total. The recipe I have makes 6 cakes and I get the long jelly roll pans and put 3 on each. I've had mixed results but overall I've enjoyed them and I'm going to IY"H make more so I have them when my mom comes in Teves, IY"H.

Oh and when I take them out of the freezer I bake them a bit so they're warm and crunchier as sometimes when they're done they're just done. They're best right out of the oven.

Here's the recipe. I don't know the source. The person who gave it to me doesn't know the origins. I didn't get the method only the ingredients so I kind of had to muddle through on my own the first time but now I"m fairly confident about the recipe. Keep in mind that this makes 6 cakes when you read the ingredients:

Kokosh Cake
Yield: 6 kokosh cakes

Ingredients:

2 oz. Yeast
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. warm water
1 tsp. vanilla sugar
1 c. orange juice
2 c. oil
4 eggs
3 lbs. Flour (around 11-12 cups of flour)
1 tsp. salt

Filling

1 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. icing sugar
3/4 c. oil
1 1/2 c. cocoa powder
1/2 c. warm water

Preheat oven to 350

Put yeast in bowl with 1/4 c. of the sugar and water
Wait 10 minutes for the yeast to bubble.
Add rest of the ingredients in order given.
Knead for around 5 minutes
Let rise for an hour or when it is doubled in bulk
While rising, in a small bowl combine filling ingredients.
Divide dough into 6 balls
For each ball:
Roll out with a rolling pin
Add filling leaving an area on one end without filling and roll up, being sure to fold under the ends.
Grease 2 11x17 pans
Put 3 cakes in each pan.
Bake for about 50 minutes

Boys Mom

Post Sat, Dec 01 2007, 10:13 pm
I actually just made kokosh and babke this week.

The kokosh I rolled into a log and sprinkled crumbs on top.

The babke I rolled into a log - then folded in half in the center and then twisted 2-3 times. I put it into a loaf pan and sprinkled crumbs on top. It came out YUM.

bashinda

Post Sat, Dec 01 2007, 10:21 pm
So any taste difference with the babka and the kokosh?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 01 2007, 10:57 pm
we talked about that once here, I think, if there's a difference....

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 12:41 am
I wasn't sure if you were giving or asking for tips ...

I say it's in how thin you roll the dough out ... and also in how you fill it - I make a paste and spread it out - whether cinnamon or chocolate

Ima'la

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 4:12 am
I never heard of twisting. I have made kokosh chocolatey enough to satisfy my Camp Sternberg nostagia. I used a recipe I found in Binah Magazine (but subbed oil for the marg.). I found it to be important to roll the dough as thin as possible. Then I brush it generously with oil, then sprinkle at least 1.5x (if not more) the amount of choc. filling she recommends. (The filling mixture contains instant coffee and cinnamon too - really yummy. It's interesting to see s/o post a recipe that calls partially for confectioner's sugar in the filling b/c this recipe calls for all reg. sugar and I was wondering if confec. sugar would be better, but hadn't tried it yet.)

From what I understand, babka is a yeast cake with a little choclate filling in it, and kokosh is chocolate filling, held together by thin layers of yeast cake. YUM!

Boys Mom

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 9:36 am
The babke is a bit more chocolatey since it's "doubled" over. I use the same amounts of choc. filling for both.

My family loved both - but I think the babke was a real hit!!!!!!!!

bashinda

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 2:19 pm
I don't know what Sternberg kokosh cake is like but this comes out gooey and oozing out. Messy but very yummy!

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 2:36 pm
Quote:
I used a recipe I found in Binah Magazine (but subbed oil for the marg.)
I bought margarine that has no transfats. Just a little more expensive.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 5:17 pm
TR, what brand of marg is that? I only see the kind in tubs.

bashinda

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 8:24 pm
IRL I never get to the right store to get the non transfat marge so I end up either not using margarine or just using it here and there. Although this kokosh cake is with oil which is nice.

And the truth is,

if I'm worried about being healthy,

I think I should also be concerned about the white flour and sugars in the kokosh cake more than the trans fats.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 8:30 pm
It depends, Bas Hinda. The short answer might be yes ......... or not.

For example, my DD is only 94 lbs but has high cholesterol. She can afford white flour and sugar.

BUT, if someone h as to limit only their sugar, perhaps the fat isn't as importnat to them...or people with fibere issues, the flour is their concern.

bashinda

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 8:46 pm
CM, that wasn't a question that was a personal statement. Personally, I, bashinda, should be more concerned about the white flour and sugar (and truthfully I'm not nearly concerned as I should be Wink ) than your 94 lb daughter who should be gezeunt b'ruchnius uv'gashmius bezras Hashem ad meah esrim and really only concerened about transfats.

Ima'la

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 5:05 am
I tried trans-fat-free marg. once, but I didn't like the taste. Maybe other brands are better.

bashinda, I use whole wheat pastry flour. I used white sugar, but I wouldn't be afraid to try Demerara sugar in it - but I don't think that much Demerara sugar is so great either. Let's face it - kokosh is not a health food. We should definitely limit ourselves to only two or three pieces an hour! Wink (What can I say? I'm addicted!)

bashinda

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 9:52 am
I don't think anything called "sugar" is that healthy for you.

That's good that you use the whole wheat pastry flour though!

And I think only 2-3 pieces an hour sounds good. Oh dear. LOL

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 10:11 am
Sugar gives energy. It's not all bad.

bashinda

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 10:32 am
Sugar is not inherently bad. Carbs are not inherently bad. But I happen to have too much of each. Oh dear. Exclamation (sorry I'm starting to channel, technic)

Ima'la

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 10:51 am
You can get energy and even sugar from much better sources than refined white sugar! When you're looking for a boost, you're better off with an apple or a whole wheat muffin than a slice of (even my whole wheat) kokosh! (Don't think I practice what I preach!)

Should we move this kokosh thread into the Natural Parenting section? Tongue Out
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins