Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Succos menu ideas

smile

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 3:39 pm
I will have my parents, and maybe my sister with her family over Succos. So I was thinking about starting to cook. I know it is early but I am someone who likes to start early. And what I usualy do is whenever I cook something now, I do already double and leave it for Yom tov. So I dont have a rush before Succos.
What I want is some menu ideas and how much I'll have to do of things for so many ppl. Help
I am not used to cook for so many. So if they all come we will be about 6 adults with 6 children. By the way they only stay the first half.

Thanx

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 5:33 pm
a big succos favorite in my family (and in-laws) is meatballs. they're nice for those cold nights in the sukkah. and they freeze beautifully! you could also freeze soups.

proudmom

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 5:41 pm
meat wrapped in cabbage

gryp

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 7:33 pm
Sukkos?? shock
wasnt it just pesach?

im not ready for Elul, forget Tishrei...

sarahd

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 6:21 am
RG, you better clear those Pesach leftovers out of your freezer already! LOL LOL

sarahd

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 6:22 am
Potato knishes freeze well, unbaked. Then you just have to slide them into the oven and you have a fresh, delicious side dish.

de_goldy

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 6:27 am
potato doesn't freeze well at all.

tzivi

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 7:49 am
potato only freezes well if you freeze it when it underbaked/cooked. Then when do want to use it, don't defrost it in the fridge, put it in the oven on a low heat and fuuly cook it then.

gryp

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 1:15 pm
sarahd wrote:
RG, you better clear those Pesach leftovers out of your freezer already! LOL LOL

LOL not quite... but that was funny. Very Happy

lucky

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 8:49 pm
I usually freeze some side dishes during Elul,so it makes Tishre a bit easier.

Doughless potato knishes.
cabbage and noodles, (s/t only the sauteed cabbage)the noodles is added fresh.
broccoli/vegetable kugels
cherry turnovers, unbaked
sauteed onions, just add mushrooms for sauce

Biggest problem is my kids eat none of it. I prepare all delicious things for Yom Tov, and then I have so much leftovers.

chavamom

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 9:00 pm
proudmom wrote:
meat wrapped in cabbage

Yup! "Prokes" (cabbage rolls or whatever it is that your family calls them) are standard sukkos food at our house too. I learned years ago to freeze heads of cabbage and then thaw them out - no need to boil the leaves to soften them that way.

lucy

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 10:28 pm
You can make your roast and slice it up then freeze (with the sauce seperate) ready to go in the oven to serve!

I actually usually make a few salads before Tishrei bc the're time consuming and freeze really well, just don't dress them.
Salad cuit
broiled eggplant slices (like fried eggplant tastes the same)
grilled pepper salad

Cabbage rolls

Pastell: basically, its a layer of boiled mashed potatoes which are seasoned, then ground meat/onions/ ( and you can add sliced olives) sauted, then the layer of potaoe again. Freezes very well.

mother of 2 princess's

Post Sat, Sep 09 2006, 6:43 pm
does anyone have a good recipe for holiskas stuffed cabbage
my cabbage always either burns or is still hard
also I find there not as solid as the shop ones!!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 11 2006, 10:38 am
mother of 2 princess's wrote:
does anyone have a good recipe for holiskas stuffed cabbage
my cabbage always either burns or is still hard
also I find there not as solid as the shop ones!!!

Still working on my recipe to get it good, but it's basically mixing meat with minute rice (no need to cook it in advance!), diced tomatoes and some spices, stuffing it in cabbage, putting the seam down in the pan, covering with tomato sauce and diced tomatoes, covering it, and baking it for about an hour and a half at 350 -- if there is enough liquid in the pan, there is no need to cook the cabbage first.

I've actually made this in a skillet before, and it simmers for about 20 minutes and gets cooked plenty like that!
Also, I like mixing up a heat and serve packet of rice (Osem makes I think) with plain minute rice for more flavor...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus