Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Shabbos Chanuka Menu

amother

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 4:07 pm
What O What to serve???

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 4:13 pm
Same as any other shabbos I guess. I don't know if there is a way to serve latkas for shabbos without them being too cold or too soggy or too dried out. Anyone have a trick?
Plus I'll try to make sufganiyot for dessert since the bakeries here leave a lot to be desired.

Hannah!

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 4:14 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 4:16 pm
Hannah! wrote:
Maybe I'll make beignets (fried dough balls) for dessert if I have the time.

Yum! Have a recipe?

Hannah!

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 4:25 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 4:27 pm
Hannah! wrote:
It's in one of the Kosher By Designs (the first, I think). Do you have it?

I think I do. I'll look it up. Thanks!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 5:01 pm
you can put latkes on the blech for friday night. I don't eat fried foods, so I've never done it,but many ppl do.

sarahd

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 5:02 pm
I don't make specific Chanukah foods, but I do add some special dishes in honor of Chanukah.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 5:05 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
you can put latkes on the blech for friday night. I don't eat fried foods, so I've never done it,but many ppl do.
that's what I do, put in a covered round pan on top of the kugel, stays piping hot!

Raisin

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 5:08 pm
You could make mini kugels in muffin pans. Kind of similar to latkes, and you do use oil in kugel.

I made those beignets once and I wasn't that impressed. Doughnuts are better, imo. But they do need to be fresh. (or freeze straight away)

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 6:06 pm
sarahd wrote:
I don't make specific Chanukah foods, but I do add some special dishes in honor of Chanukah.

What sor of special dishes?

Purplehair

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 3:03 pm
Raisin wrote:
You could make mini kugels in muffin pans. Kind of similar to latkes, and you do use oil in kugel.

I make those for every Shabbos. I got the recipe from a Mishpacha magazine years ago. They were meant to be unfried latke kugelettes. They only use one tsp. of oil per muffin cup, and are really delicious and easy to make.

The only really special thing that I do for Shabbos Chanukah is to shape my challot like dreidles Very Happy .

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 3:11 pm
shaping your challos into dreidles is soo cute!!!
One year I made one in the shape of a HUGE menorah, we even put food coloring in some of the parts so that the flames could b yellow and the base was blue, etc. Maybe I'll do that this week! Thanks for the idea!

Purplehair

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 3:13 pm
You're welcome Smile
I tried Menorah Challah in the past. The problem that I found was that sometimes the branches can break off when handling the challah, so be careful!

sarahd

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 9:09 pm
RivkiA wrote:
sarahd wrote:

What sor of special dishes?

Nothing exciting or major, just things we don't have every week that I know my husband loves, like chopped liver or certain desserts.

gorsima

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 4:30 am
Wen I lived in Russia we used to put potato latkes into the pot with chicken stew. This way latkes were hot and soft, soaked in gravy- delishious. I use this metod of serving latkesusually on Shabbos Chanuka. Chicken tastes great when cooked in a pot. First sautee a lot of onions in oil , add chicken cut in 1/8 (you can brown chicken right then and there and later add some water or skip browning part and just cook adding water) Cook covered for about 1 hr until soft. Put salt and black pepper according to your taste. When stew is ready put latkes and simmer together with chicken until ready to serve.

gorsima

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 4:30 am
Wen I lived in Russia we used to put potato latkes into the pot with chicken stew. This way latkes were hot and soft, soaked in gravy- delishious. I use this metod of serving latkesusually on Shabbos Chanuka. Chicken tastes great when cooked in a pot. First sautee a lot of onions in oil , add chicken cut in 1/8 (you can brown chicken right then and there and later add some water or skip browning part and just cook adding water) Cook covered for about 1 hr until soft. Put salt and black pepper according to your taste. When stew is ready put latkes and simmer together with chicken until ready to serve.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 2:42 pm
I know this thread is old, but I'm chiming in.
I think I will try to make an easy duck recipe for shabbos. My mom always made duck for shabbos chanuka.
Maybe I can buy a muffin top pan, and make oven baked latkes as well.

fabcook

Post Wed, Dec 21 2011, 12:58 am
How about "Greek" Chicken ? It's really delicious and moist and pretty easy to make using chicken breasts or chicken tenders but you can even do it with bottoms. I made it last night and it was a HUGE hit!
http://thegushgourmet.blogspot......html

ray family

Post Wed, Dec 21 2011, 2:48 am
my dh just asked me to make southern fried chicken
not the most shabbosdik but will suffice
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus