Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is a dishwasher cheaper than disposable dish?
1  2  Next

MahPitom

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 8:37 pm
Is a dishwasher cheaper than disposable dish?

I’m not talking about the dishwasher itself. I mean the water and the heating, the soap… the added expenses. Thanks.

I’m trying to make a cheshbon if I should bother. I didn’t grow up with one so maybe my fantasizing is just downright dumb.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 8:46 pm
I grew up washing dishes. When I got married,I got all disposables!

When we bought this apt it, came with a dishwasher. Excitedly, I bought a lot of extra baking pans which don't wash well in the dishwasher; it's realy for silverware, dishes and glasses,and lightly soiled pots.

I think it does pay for itself, but don't forget it's an appliance that might need to be serviced or replaced, too.

Raisin

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 5:54 am
we have 2 dishwashers. One we have had for 6 years and the other 3 years now and they have never needed servicing yet.

My electricity company has a website where you can check how much it costs to run things. It says to run a dishwasher once a week for 2 months (ie 8 times) would cost €1.68. (just over $2) So about 20c a time.

Actually maybe it runs on gas? But it think gas might be cheaper.

The soap itself costs more or less depending on if you use tablets, (more expensive) or powder. You also need salt if you have hard water, and rinse aid. (you only put these oin once in a while) You would have to check the costs of these in your local stores.

catonmylap

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 6:09 am
What it does for glasses is the best. It's such a difference than when I wash them by hand.

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 7:20 am
If you use tablets and not the powder, you don't need either rinse aid or salt, the tablets contain everything. I find that the liquid detergent is pretty useless.

Quote:
to run a dishwasher once a week for 2 months (ie 8 times) would cost €1.68. (just over $2) So about 20c a time.

Maybe that is just for a couple of people. With a family you would have to run the dishwasher more often. For a large family of our size, we need to run it about once a day, unless we eat fleishigs at any of the meals (our d/w is milchig).

Also, if you run a dishwasher only once a week, the dirt is so dried-on that the dishwasher may not remove all of it, which defeats the issue.

Starhavah

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 7:50 am
I am appalled that none of you have mentioned the cost to the enviornment. If you live in the south or Israel (I do not know about Europe, etc) where water is scarce you should use disposables. If you live in a place where water is not scarce you should use a dishwasher. Making a smaller footprint on the Earth is part of HaShem's plan for us. We cannot keep despoiling His creation.

Ok, sorry for the rant.

Star Havah

imaamy

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 9:32 am
Starhavah, I don't live in Israel, but do live where water is scarce for the population size. I am surprised for anyone to suggest filling up landfills. The trash is around for hundreds of years and results in cutting down more trees and losing more space to piles of garbage. I am against using disposables for my simcha even though it would be less money.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 9:46 am
I had to get off of the computer last night before I could give all of my thoughts.

Our dishwasher is very basic. If you're buying one, you may want more bells and whistles; of course that costs money. mine doesn't have a food filter so we remove all the food first, but then we can use it for pareve stuff, too.

MahPitom, do you pay for both electricity and hot water? One of my coworkers thinks disposable are cheaper because hepays for h is own water and electricty, but then again, his kids don't help clear the table. They prob. wouldn't load or unload a dishwasher. Remember it's an extra job to load and unload it.

We run a hot, quick cycle. The hot costs more, but the quick cycle costs less. I never ever dry anything in there so that saves on electricity.

We run ours 2-3 times a week and found we then didn't have enough pots or silverware. I didn't have glasses or everyday plates either; all of which I had to buy.

Don't forget my kids are older and use real glasses and glass plates without my fear of breaking them and hurting themselves.

I get the soap at the dollar store; and it's under $3 for the big liquid kind that lasts at least a month. I get the cheapest liquid I can; I think it works better than powder.

It's not just a dollar and sense issue, it's a quality of life issue, too. I like using a fork that doesn't snap when I use it. I like drinking from a real glass not a plastic cup. and shabbos,I can take out all of my serving dishes, use them, and not worry about a mess later to clean up.

Any other concerns ?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 10:20 am
CM if you scrape off all the food you can still put meat dishes & pots in on hot cycle & consider it parave?

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 10:29 am
well if we're talking about environment ... make sure to use paper and not plastic ...

not into dishwashers myself ... but I imagine you could do calculations based on how much water & electricity a dishwasher uses ... they have energy guides on the different brands ...

compare with the amount of paper goods you will be purchasing per month ...

I say paper is cheaper than a maid - but if each person washes their own dish ... well we pay for water too - gotta do my own math I suppose ...

gigi

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 10:34 am
my husband ran the numbers based on using disposable, or washing dishes in the sink (cost of water, soap, etc )
and he came to the conclusion that disposable is at the very least - not more expensive, and may even be cheaper.

MahPitom

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 10:37 am
The total disregard to baal-tashchis towards disposables is driving me crazy. I prefer real stuff but I can’t catch up with washing it all the time. So I’m seriously considering a dishwasher, despite the cramped space in my kitchen.

As far as footprints on the environment, trash is leaving a bigger mark than schlepping water all over the place. Water can be recycled especially if it’s not for drinking.

Raisin

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 11:16 am
Ribbie Danzinger wrote:
If you use tablets and not the powder, you don't need either rinse aid or salt, the tablets contain everything. I find that the liquid detergent is pretty useless.

Quote:
to run a dishwasher once a week for 2 months (ie 8 times) would cost €1.68. (just over $2) So about 20c a time.

Maybe that is just for a couple of people. With a family you would have to run the dishwasher more often. For a large family of our size, we need to run it about once a day, unless we eat fleishigs at any of the meals (our d/w is milchig).

Also, if you run a dishwasher only once a week, the dirt is so dried-on that the dishwasher may not remove all of it, which defeats the issue.

I just did that calculation to find the per use cost. I run a dishwasher at least once a day or so, and just from shabbos alone 3-4 loads.

Where I live lack of water is not an issue (the reverse in fact) and paperware is expensive. Plus our not frum guests sometimes freak out when we use it. I try only to use it if we have more than a certain amount of guests.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
CM if you scrape off all the food you can still put meat dishes & pots in on hot cycle & consider it parave?

Amother, PM me. I have a very interesting tshuva from the Webbe Rebbe regarding this. It's lengthy, though.

mimsy7420

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 1:18 pm
A dishwasher is definitely cheaper and better for the enviroment then disposables dishes. Just try not to run your dishwasher 1/4 full.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 5:19 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
amother wrote:

Amother, PM me. I have a very interesting tshuva from the Webbe Rebbe regarding this. It's lengthy, though.

Please explain for all of us. Please post the article. I have never heard of anything like that and am an FFB.

Tefila

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 5:37 pm
I too have never heard of that 'Tshuva' that both milk and meat can be used in the same dishwasher especially since the water is way hotter then normal sink one shock

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 6:52 pm
I didn't say THAT.

and you know what? I'm not posting information for anonymous amothers.

ask the webbe rebbe yourself.

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 7:05 pm
I understand that choco has a heter to use for either milk or meat but whichever she uses she can do pareve in the same dishwasher.
Am I right?

I think that there are sefardi poskim who allow both milk and meat in the same dishwasher. I would surmise that davka using hotter water makes it more lenient. Besides which, the detergent is pogem ta'am [I.e. spoils the taste] which would add to the leniency. Obviously, you would have to clean the filter inbetween.
(and obviously, don't do this on the basis of my surmises, ch"v. ASK A RAV)

chavamom

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 7:13 pm
Starhavah wrote:
I am appalled that none of you have mentioned the cost to the enviornment. If you live in the south or Israel (I do not know about Europe, etc) where water is scarce you should use disposables. If you live in a place where water is not scarce you should use a dishwasher. Making a smaller footprint on the Earth is part of HaShem's plan for us. We cannot keep despoiling His creation.

Ok, sorry for the rant.

Star Havah

Water, regardless of where you are is a renewable resource. Styrofoam disposables are going to be around in landfills for hundreds of years. AND disposables use a LOT of water in their production. Not a simple equation.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics