Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Do you put chicken soup mix in your chicken soup?
1  2  3  4  Next

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 6:23 pm
If not, how do u make sure there is a lot of flavour?

blueyes

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 6:29 pm
I never put chicken soup mix in my chicken soup. I just let it boil/simmer for a long time-maybe 4-5 hours. I also put in parsnip, turnip, onions, carrots, sweet potato, zuccini, and sometimes celery. I also make my kneidels in the soup. so they prob. add some flavor also. (also I add salt-)..anyway, my soup always comes out soooo tasty.

EsaEinai

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 6:31 pm
blueyes, youre making my mouth water Smile I put soup mix in my soup, but I also put in vegetables and matzoh balls. it works for me, but im sure there are better ways.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 6:34 pm
NEVER!!

I put similar vegetables to blueyes, except no swt ptto
I put salt, pepper, and tumeric.

sometimes I add pumpkin and then when the soup is done I seperate the water from the vegetables and I blend the vegetables to a blended soup which I freeze and use another time. or use that and freeze the chicken soup.

the blended soup from the chicken soup is much tastier then regular vegetable/pumpkin soup

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 6:34 pm
never in the chicken soup ...

parsley, parsnip, carrots, onions, lots of garlic cloves, salt, black pepper and garlic ... and the chicken of course ... skinned so no fat ...

but I add some to a veggie soup I make ...

red sea

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 7:02 pm
no way and although I hate chicken soup myself I must say (very humbly of course 8) ) that the recipe I found to use is the best one I ever tasted.

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 7:33 pm
No way!!!

If you put enough chicken and boil it for long enough, it has the best flavor.

MSG-free is the best flavor ever. Smile

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 7:38 pm
no. just chicken, veggies, salt, and I find oregano adds a nice flavor. I know people who use dill, but I detest dill, so none for me.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 8:04 pm
And for those who don't use the mix - do you find that you have to use pieces of chicken rather then bones?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 8:09 pm
sure. I love boiled chicken, and you can always use it in a stir-fry later.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 8:18 pm
only1 wrote:
And for those who don't use the mix - do you find that you have to use pieces of chicken rather then bones?

I didn't even know that people make chicken soups only from bones.

I used to add a little soup mix because my mother always did but I stopped that years ago. If you get the right balance of ingredients there is really no need.

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 8:22 pm
I would buy bones if I had to use my entire chicken for Shabbos. I used to use only bones until the bones got annoying in the soup, so I started with pieces of chicken. Also, I give the chicken to the kids and it makes it into a whole meal.

penina

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 8:26 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
only1 wrote:

I didn't even know that people make chicken soups only from bones.

I used to add a little soup mix because my mother always did but I stopped that years ago. If you get the right balance of ingredients there is really no need.

I only use bones because I hate boiled chicken. DH loves the chicken in the soup so sometimes I throw a chicken thigh or drumstick in there.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 8:28 pm
GR wrote:
I used to use only bones until the bones got annoying in the soup

Don't you strain all the "stuff" out?

I learned a great trick to make chicken soup if anyone is interested. I make it in one of those huge pots that come with a pasta insert. When the soup is done cooking I lift out the pasta insert and voila! Nice clean broth.

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 8:31 pm
Quote:
Don't you strain all the "stuff" out?

Nope. The bones I used to buy had lots of meat on it so I would keep them in and take the chicken off it. But then the bones fell apart and were all over the soup and got annoying, as you can imagine. Smile

shanie5

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 8:37 pm
why bother maling chicken soup if your adding chicken soup to it? so no, I dont add mix to mine. and I almost always use bones (almost cuz sometimes I run out of them and use the real stuff instead). and lots of veggies as others posted. and bay leaves along w/ salt and pepper.

I usually do it in 2 steps. first its just the bones, onions, bay leaves s&p. cook boiles forever. then strained, and veggies added (more onions, carrots, celery, parsnip).

the 2 step process is good for me cuz I make huge (24 qt) pot of 'boiled chicken water', then freeze what I dont need now, make soup out of rest and then have plenty left for the next few weeks (or orders).

HooRYou

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 8:39 pm
I make mine from the necks and wings no one will really eat anyway. This way I get the bones and a little meat inside. Since DH hates finding bones in the soup I cook the chicken inside of homemade cheese-cloth type bag so the goodness flows out but the bones stay in.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 8:56 pm
Never in my life.

Tefila

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 9:02 pm
The longer you let a chicken soup or for that matter any soup cook the more flavourful it will be. I try to make my soup then let it simmer in the crockpot/slow cooker in the morning b/4 I teach, and when I come home in the afternoon I taste to see if it needs longer. In general I will leave it for approx 3 on a flame or crock pot.

blueyes

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 9:06 pm
I always put pieces of chicken in the soup. I used to also put in along with the chicken, turkey necks. it tastes so good. I havent done that in a while. maybe ill make it that way next week.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics