Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Shiva for non-Jewish relative

imaamy

Post Sat, Dec 22 2007, 10:43 pm
I did a search and didn't come up with anything, although I thought there was a thread on this....my DH was wondering if a convert's parents pass away, does the convert have to sit shiva? It seems as though they would not but we weren't sure.

chavamom

Post Sat, Dec 22 2007, 10:49 pm
I think it depends on who you ask. I know a non-Jewish woman who was allowed to sit shiva for her non-Jewish father. Slightly different scenario though.

RedRuby

Post Sat, Dec 22 2007, 10:56 pm
My mother is a convert and was told by a Rav not to sit Shiva when her mother passed away.

My mom still had friends come over to visit and talk about her mom's life, which was comforting for her.

There was a clueless neighbor who kept asking loudly, "Are you sure you're not supposed to sit Shiva? Just becuase your mother passed away on ( )?" (Jewish holiday)

amother

Post Sat, Dec 22 2007, 11:06 pm
No, we don't sit shiva. If the relative who passed away lives out of town, it's often easier. You just go back there to deal with the funeral etc. and don't come back until the "shiva" would have been over, avoiding a lot of the yenta problems. People whose parents live nearby probably have it a little more difficult. People love to ask questions. You're mourning the loss of a relative and that is no time to be dealing with obnoxious, nosy people!!

louche

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 8:52 am
A ger doesn't sit shiva for his nonjewish parents. halachicly they're not his parents any more, b/c his parents are now avraham avinu and sarah imenu. Howver, if he wants to observe customs of mourning, he's allowed to do so. I'm not 100% certain if he's permitted to actually sit shiva if he wants to. CYLOR.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics