Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Do you know how to make potato kugel on the stove? Plz help!
1  2  Next

peach

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 11:07 pm
Does anyone here make potato kugel on the stovetop? Can you please tell me how you do that?

(I have my regular recipe that I usually make and bake in the oven. I just need to know how to make it on the stove).

Thank you!

Boys Mom

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 11:14 pm
I've made it on top of the stove and it's delicious!!

You should try to use a non stick (t-fal) pan. I prefer not to use a frying pan since I like my kugel to be high - so I use a 4 qt. t-fal pot. (of course it depends on the size kugel you're making.)

Use your reg. kugel recipe. Heat oil on bottom of pot. Before you put kugel in turn the pot so the oil gets onto its sides too. Pour kugel in. Let bake for about 1/2 hour on medium flame. Make sure the flame is not too high that it should burn!!

After 1/2 hour use a knife to cut around the outside of the kugel so that it's not sticking to the pan when you turn over. Cover the pot with a plate and turn kugel onto it. Heat up a little more oil in pot and slide kugel back. (Now the crusted part should be on top). Let bake on low flame until done. If needed use a knife again to scrape the sides of the pan away from kugel before you transfer it onto a plate.

If you have any questions let me know. Enjoy!!!

peach

Post Fri, Jan 04 2008, 12:44 am
Thank you so much!!! Should I send you a virtual piece?

sarahd

Post Fri, Jan 04 2008, 3:36 am
You can certainly send me one! That's my preferred way to make kugel, but dh doesn't like it, so I bake mine. Stovetop kugel, btw, goes much faster than oven and needs less oil. When you're frying your kugel, you want to watch it and when the edges turn brown and the top is firmed up, it's ready to flip.

Boys Mom

Post Fri, Jan 04 2008, 7:12 am
I would love a slice!!

Motek

Post Fri, Jan 04 2008, 10:33 am
Boys Mom wrote:
Cover the pot with a plate and turn kugel onto it.

I make kugel in a pan on the stove and depending on the quality of the potatoes and how hot the oil was, it can come out terrific, good, or okay. It's a big latke!

My question is the plate part - just seems too scary. How do you do it without accidentally burning yourself?

What I end up doing is cutting the kugel into four and turning each quarter separately.

cindy324

Post Fri, Jan 04 2008, 3:12 pm
Quote:
My question is the plate part - just seems too scary. How do you do it without accidentally burning yourself?

You ask DH to do it LOL ! That's what I used to do. I was always afraid that I would have burning hot oil spill all over me, but DH seemed to have a great handle on it.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 04 2008, 4:21 pm
me me me me ... I need a piece ... Drunken Smile

and it is called frying ... try with olive oil yum ... and I also like the farberwear stainless steel pan ... not teflon ...

as far as the plate ... use a smaller pan and a bigger plate ... and be swift

sarahd

Post Sat, Jan 05 2008, 3:33 pm
The way I flip it is to lay a plate over the frying pan, then fold a towel the long way and lay it over the plate so that its ends are long enough to go under the pan. Then pick up the whole thing (quickly, so the towel doesn't go into the fire) and flip the pan, holding the bottom by the towel ends.

I used to do it without this whole process, and my mother still does, but somewhere along the line I lost my nerve and now I do it this way (when I fry my kugel at all, that is.)

The towel usually ends up with some kugel batter or oil on it.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 05 2008, 6:14 pm
Never got the hang of that .. when DS was born, a neighbor sent me such a kugel every Shabbos for a month and it was YUM !!!!!!!!

shoy18

Post Sat, Jan 05 2008, 6:18 pm
A while ago they made a kugal pan, it was basically two frying pans that connected and you were able to just flip it over into the other pan.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 05 2008, 10:04 pm
My mil makes us one every erev shabbos. Even my baby knows that we have to get the shabbos kugel from bubby.

greenfire

Post Sat, Jan 05 2008, 11:22 pm
shoy18 wrote:
A while ago they made a kugal pan, it was basically two frying pans that connected and you were able to just flip it over into the other pan.

kool idea ... is it a half circle like the omellette pan ...

Motek

Post Sun, Jan 06 2008, 4:15 pm
I also find that this kugel is best fresh, not reheated, and that includes sitting on the blech!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 06 2008, 4:19 pm
omg, I'm dreamingof such a pan - would be good for winters that I don't have 2 hours to bake a potato kugel !

I see them online for u;nder $20, anyone ????

boruchhashem

Post Sun, Jan 06 2008, 5:37 pm
I just am making one, as we speak. I just flipped it over, and remembered a funny story. My grandmother a'h, used to always make it on the stove. When she flipped it, we used to pick the top off, meaning the crunchy part, and then she would have to flip it again. I just did the same thing. LOL

MommyLuv

Post Sun, Jan 06 2008, 7:16 pm
I've seen a recipe for it in a vegetarian cookbook.

It was called 'Rosti'...maybe a Dutch or Swedish dish?
Any Europeans know the origin?

MommyLuv

Post Sun, Jan 06 2008, 7:17 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B6sti

amother

Post Sun, Jan 06 2008, 10:42 pm
To avoid getting hot oil on you, wait for the kugel to cool a few minutes before flipping it. The way I do it is to turn off the flame and leave the lid on after the bottom is done. After about 10 minutes I remove the lid and go around the edge of the kugel with a knife, and flip the kugel on a large plate that is sitting on the counter. I put a little more oil in the pot, turn on the flame till oil is hot, then return the kugel upside down in the pot and cove with the lid. When the kugel is done, I close the flame, leaving the lid on. Only after the pot cooled off a bit, I slice and remove the kugel.
Leaving the kugel for a few minutes with closed lid and flame helps avoid the kugel form sticking to the pot.

mamacita

Post Mon, Jan 07 2008, 3:01 am
This is what I do over pesach when I have a burner but no oven. I don't flip mine though, I just cover it and put it on a lower flame so it cooks all the way through.

Maybe I'll try flipping this year. mmmmm

BTW, why is the above poster amother? I don't get the need to protect your identity in relation to kugel. What
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes