Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
We need to get a new stove ASAP - any suggestions?
1  2  Next

daisy

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 10:17 am
Just found out we need to get a new stove/oven ASAP. Please help me with research.

Has anyone recently purchased one they are happy with? I know there are specific shabbos/yom tov issues. We are not looking for anything commercial or expensive. Just a basic free-standing oven and stove.

Also, if you have a store suggestion, that would be appreciated too.

Thanks!

shoy18

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 10:23 am
my mother just bought the yom tov stove. you can turn on and off the oven on yom tov its great she loves it. I think its a GE but not sure, go to a jewish electronic store and they will know which it is

Pearl

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 10:24 am
oy, it must be great to live in new york....

chavamom

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 10:32 am
You don't have to live in NYC to get them. A number of my neighbors have gotten them through the local appliance store. Here is a list of the companies making ovens with a 'sabbath mode'. Pretty impressive, eh?

Pearl

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 10:35 am
very impressive!

daisy

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 10:41 am
thanks so far! that Star-K list is extensive. Does anyone have experience with specific type of stove or specific features that they like? I have no clue. The only stoves I have ever used are the el-cheapo ones that come with rented apts.

shoy18

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 10:45 am
make sure you get the ones where when the oven goes off automaticlly it doesnt beep until you shut it off, most of them beep forever, so that something that is imp.

chavamom

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 10:46 am
I have used my neighbor's on yomtov and I really liked it. I'll find out what model it is.

Kumphort

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 11:10 am
I recently purchased a Hotpoint oven model RGB745BEHWH. I paid about 450 for it. Hotpoint is a GE brand. I was looking for a basic gas model. The oven that I got has a Shabbos feature, meaning you can use the timed bake feature and it will go off with out beeping. The one thing that I dont like about it, if you want to use it on Yom tov, you can only use the up and down arrows to change the temperature, but there is no output to tell you what the tempature is, you just have to remember, ideally if you want to use an oven on Yom tov, look for one that has a dial so that you can set it directly.

ElTam

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 2:37 pm
We have a basic GE that we got at Home Depot. Something to think about if price is an object, if you get one with knobs (instead of electronic buttons), there are much fewer things to break and repair, as well as the initial price difference. I do fine without Shabbat or Yom Tov mode.

lucky

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 2:53 pm
Sealed burners. they make life a bit easier.

daisy

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 3:47 pm
what do you mean by sealed burners? the stove we have to replace is a glass flat top and we were told we have to replace it because of kashering problems.

buba123

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 4:13 pm
If you get a gas stove with an electric ignition you won't be able to change the oven temperature on Yom Tov. I made a big mistake on this (just bought a new oven for Pesach) and I wasn't able to use the oven on Yom Tov. (You could set it to a certain degree but you can't change it. I didn't want to keep my oven on 350 degrees for the whole 2 or 3 days.) I recommend calling a Jewish place (Drimmer's is huge in NY - they were published in Zagat's survey) and asking extensive questions to figure out what's best for you and your family.

daisy

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 4:37 pm
nechamam wrote:
I recently purchased a Hotpoint oven model RGB745BEHWH. I paid about 450 for it. Hotpoint is a GE brand. I was looking for a basic gas model

buba123 wrote:
If you get a gas stove with an electric ignition you won't be able to change the oven temperature on Yom Tov. I made a big mistake on this (just bought a new oven for Pesach) and I wasn't able to use the oven on Yom Tov. (You could set it to a certain degree but you can't change it. I didn't want to keep my oven on 350 degrees for the whole 2 or 3 days.)

I'vebeen looking at nechamam's model (where did you get it, I'm only finding it for $499?, but I would like the black on black, so maybe that model is a little more $$$), but I notice that it does have electric ignition. buba, what would you have done differently had you known? Do they even make gas stoves without the electric ignition? (I also have to make sure it is easy to put in a gas stove, cause we currently have electric)

thanks everyone for your input, it is extremely helpful and would love to hear more of your thoughts on this.

chavamom

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 4:56 pm
daisy wrote:
I'vebeen looking at nechamam's model (where did you get it, I'm only finding it for $499?, but I would like the black on black, so maybe that model is a little more $$$), but I notice that it does have electric ignition. buba, what would you have done differently had you known? Do they even make gas stoves without the electric ignition? (I also have to make sure it is easy to put in a gas stove, cause we currently have electric)

thanks everyone for your input, it is extremely helpful and would love to hear more of your thoughts on this.

There is a difference between the ignition for the stove and the one for the oven! YOu are talking about the stove, she is talking about the oven.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Aug 31 2005, 7:39 am
nechamam wrote:
I recently purchased a Hotpoint oven model RGB745BEHWH. I paid about 450 for it. Hotpoint is a GE brand. I was looking for a basic gas model. The oven that I got has a Shabbos feature, meaning you can use the timed bake feature and it will go off with out beeping. The one thing that I dont like about it, if you want to use it on Yom tov, you can only use the up and down arrows to change the temperature, but there is no output to tell you what the tempature is, you just have to remember, ideally if you want to use an oven on Yom tov, look for one that has a dial so that you can set it directly.

How is it possible to use the arrows to change the temp. on YomTov? Isn't it electronic?

The Pesach Digest by Rabbi Avraham Blumenkrantz always has a chapter about stoves - literally all types, and their unique problems with Shabbos, YomTov, kashering, blech etc. It's pretty comprehensive, and I think it's updated from year to year. There are many potential problems with all electronically controlled ranges, and therefore he cautions against certain types of models. He writes about the ones with shabbos, Yomtov modes. I'm not sure he holds from all of them, but ask your own Rav. Anyway, after reading the information, you'll know what to look out for, and what to ask.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Aug 31 2005, 8:59 am
I have a Magic Chef slide in from before YomTov mode days. I have several problems, but probably other models do too. For example, the simmer feature is really good for Shabbos, keeps the flame nice and low under the blech, but also tends to go out with any puff of air, or shaking of the blech, like when setting a pot down too hard. Usually, when the fire is out you are allowed to turn off the gas, but in our case( and probably many others), the knob passes the ignite position and sparks as you would turn it off.. [In some other stoves, the light, or ignite position is at the end of the rotation, and wouldn't be passed when turning off the gas, I never thought of these problems when shopping for our range.]

We recently got tired of having to call in a Shabbos [gentile] and installed a switch to close the electricity on the stove before Shabbos, so the time display is out, and nothing can spark, or ignite.

Kumphort

Post Wed, Aug 31 2005, 9:41 am
Again, you should ask a Rav about being able to change the temperature of an oven with electric ignition. Once the flame is on, for either the oven or the stove, you are not using any electricity to change the flame size.

As for using the buttons on Yom tov. when the oven is set to shabbos mode, the display is not changed, and the buttons go into a mode where they do not have a direct impact on the changing of the temperature, the oven is constantly looking to see how the oven should be set, so by changing the arrows its indirectly changing the temp. Read the star-k.org for more information.

Daisy, I got my oven from Town appliances in Lakewood, NJ.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Aug 31 2005, 9:51 am
nechamam wrote:
Again, you should ask a Rav about being able to change the temperature of an oven with electric ignition. Once the flame is on, for either the oven or the stove, you are not using any electricity to change the flame size.

On my oven, the electronic display readout would change if the temperature would be raised. (or lowered - but in chabad we don't lower the flame on YomTov, only make higher))

lucky

Post Wed, Aug 31 2005, 12:43 pm
SaraYehudis wrote:

On my oven, the electronic display readout would change if the temperature would be raised. (or lowered - but in chabad we don't lower the flame on YomTov, only make higher))

We don't lower the flame on Yom Tov either(Satmar)So sometimes I need 2 flames for yom tov, one low and one high.

I like the idea about shutting off the electricity to the stove for yom tov.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen