Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Im gonna cry
1  2  Next

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 2:36 pm
ds1 just cut his peyos. I looks terrible! he was playing in the playroom near me and I went up to prepare dinner, he comes up a few minutes later and I am so numb I cant cry.

LibraMommy

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 2:37 pm
I am so sorry! Every kid takes a pair of scissors and does something with it their parents do not like!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 6:36 pm
I have a friend whose daughter cut off ALL of her long, beautiful hair when she was about 3 or 4. It was maybe an inch or two long when she was done chopping. She had a hairdresser "fix it up" as much as possible, but it looked very sad until it grew back in.

When I was in first grade, a boy actually cut off a girl's whole braid. Crying

B"H my kids have never cut their hair... or done anything else regrettable with scissors. But when I was a kid, I made cuts all the way down a fold of our shower curtain... scratched gouges into the basement door... and "improved" my mother's favorite vanilla candle by scraping lines all around it (I think with my fingernail, actually)... Not sure WHAT I was thinking!!! Never confessed to any of it...

Yeah, kids do dumb stuff. Lucky for you, HAIR GROWS BACK. Meanwhile, maybe you can get your son synthetic payos extensions? Very Happy

amother

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 6:53 pm
amother wrote:
I have a friend whose daughter cut off ALL of her long, beautiful hair when she was about 3 or 4. It was maybe an inch or two long when she was done chopping. She had a hairdresser "fix it up" as much as possible, but it looked very sad until it grew back in.

When I was in first grade, a boy actually cut off a girl's whole braid. Crying

B"H my kids have never cut their hair... or done anything else regrettable with scissors. But when I was a kid, I made cuts all the way down a fold of our shower curtain... scratched gouges into the basement door... and "improved" my mother's favorite vanilla candle by scraping lines all around it (I think with my fingernail, actually)... Not sure WHAT I was thinking!!! Never confessed to any of it...

Yeah, kids do dumb stuff. Lucky for you, HAIR GROWS BACK. Meanwhile, maybe you can get your son synthetic payos extensions? Very Happy

Sorry, but this was a stupid response. How can you say hair grows back and compare her son's payos to a vanilla candle or shower curtain???
shock

OP, I'm sorry you had to go through this but iy"h they will grow back soon and they'll be just as beautiful as before. All our best, and I'm sure his were not the first payos to be cut.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 6:59 pm
don't call other posts dumb ... she was just sayin ... kids cut other things do w/o realizing ...

anyways yes ... some kids do ridiculous things ...

peyos grow back ... sorry ... tho ...

amother

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 8:53 pm
amother wrote:

Sorry, but this was a stupid response. How can you say hair grows back and compare her son's payos to a vanilla candle or shower curtain???
shock

OP, I'm sorry you had to go through this but iy"h they will grow back soon and they'll be just as beautiful as before. All our best, and I'm sure his were not the first payos to be cut.

Sheesh! I'm the amother you quoted.... and yeah... sheesh... I mean I *was* just sayin'! I'm amother in case my friend recognizes herself in my story about her daughter.... why are YOU anonymous? So you can be rude?

I wasn't comparing. I was saying that a kids with scissors do dumb stuff. Obviously it's painful to see that one's son has cut off his payos. Your 2nd paragraph is the lovely, serious response that anyone who reads the OP's post would obviously think and say. I thought it too but didn't write it quite like that. I feel for her! But the hair will grow back, and someday she will look back on this.... etc......

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 9:00 pm
My nephew cut off one of his payos. My sisterinlaw was devastated. I hope my kids never try that...

mumoo

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 9:05 pm
amother wrote:
why are YOU anonymous? So you can be rude?

apparently. the rest of the post was kind, you could have posted with your name

leomom

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 9:08 pm
Maybe part of preparing boys for their upsherin should be a talk about how special their peyos are, and how they should always be proud of their special Jewish peyos... or something along those lines. To try to instill in boys that this is something precious. Then IY"H they might have less of an inclination to "experiment" with scissors.

For boys AND girls, it's also a good idea to train them early on that scissors are not toys and that they are never allowed to cut their hair or anyone else's.

OP, I am sorry for what you are dealing with. (And when I was a kid, I cut off all my doll's hair, and no, amother #2, I am not comparing. Very Happy ) I hope your son's hair grows fast!!

chavamom

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 9:10 pm
My oldest two boys once played barber shop a few hours before my sister was scheduled to arrive for a visit. During the three weeks. One had yet to have his upsherin and cut the front of his hair to a stub and the back was long - it looked like a member of an 80's punk rock band. The other son cut of ONE of his peyos. I had to make a quick phone call to our rav to see if I could fix them up b/c my sister was arriving any minute with instructions to take videos and photos for the grandparents back in the US.

leomom

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 9:18 pm
Oy, Chavamom, that's heartbreaking! What did the rav say? (I'm guessing you weren't allowed to fix their hair... am I right?)

mumoo

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 9:30 pm
4 yr ds hacked off a handful off the top of 2 yr dd head- a week before my sisters wedding.

leomom

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 9:33 pm
All of these stories are making me want to hide all the scissors in my house... especially before family gatherings and simchas...

amother

Post Fri, Jan 11 2008, 1:47 am
So I'm the rude amother. embarrassed I do/did think it was a weird comparison, but I'm sorry for my rudeness and I tried to edit my post, but for some reason I couldn't. Sorry again.

rikismom

Post Fri, Jan 11 2008, 6:16 am
Don't worry. It'll grow back . So he just looks like an american jew now!

chavamom

Post Fri, Jan 11 2008, 7:29 am
yy wrote:
Oy, Chavamom, that's heartbreaking! What did the rav say? (I'm guessing you weren't allowed to fix their hair... am I right?)

No, he said we were allowed.

leomom

Post Fri, Jan 11 2008, 7:33 am
Oh! You must have been so relieved!

chavamom

Post Fri, Jan 11 2008, 7:49 am
yy wrote:
Oh! You must have been so relieved!

Yes, but my sister thought it was hysterical. She thought we should have left it long enough for her to take pictures before and after.

mumoo

Post Fri, Jan 11 2008, 8:37 am
amother wrote:
So I'm the rude amother. embarrassed I do/did think it was a weird comparison, but I'm sorry for my rudeness and I tried to edit my post, but for some reason I couldn't. Sorry again.

it's nice you apologized. but why, no one knows who you are anyway

justanothermother

Post Fri, Jan 11 2008, 8:53 am
My daughter chopped off one side of her long, curly hair. The first thing I did was grab a camera. It was so funny. Even though I was devastated, she looked so silly.

The thing I am still so sad about - we had to cut it short all over to balance it out and it grew back different. She had the most beautiful golden ringlets, and when it grew back it was straight and brown.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics