Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
GREAT Very Low Fat Oatmeal Cookies
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

OutATowner

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 5:47 pm
I know this was from a few years ago...but I copied down the recipe and just realized that I didn't write down oil! I made 2 batches and it tastes great! Now the only fat is from the 1 egg.
YUM!

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 11:48 pm
Speaking of healthy cookies, does anybody have a recipe I lost from Hamodia for cookies using dates and banana for a sweet tastet, instead of sugar?

Taliaville

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 7:38 pm
Yum- I made these for Shabbos, as written with the sugar, and they are absolutly amazing. Our familys favorite oatmeal cookie for sure. They stayed soft and fluffy. I doubt they will last through shabbos, so next time I am making a double or triple batch to freeze some!

mama says

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 11:24 pm
I can't wait to try the recipe! Our favorite thing to add to oatmeal cookies is craisins (dried cranberries). Even ds who used to like choc chips best now likes it this way.

IMHopinion

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 11:43 pm
Does this use oatmeal(as in the cereal) or Quaker oats?

seeker

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 11:49 pm
I made these and they came out pretty tasty ultimately but I found the mixture really crumbly and hard to form balls. Any tips?

Also when the recipe says "small" balls, can we have an approximation of what size that means? I thought I was making them too big because I didn't come out with so many, but then they came out kind of hard so maybe they were too small? Or maybe I just need to take them out sooner next time. I will definitely be trying a next time!

Oh, and because someone said they associate oatmeal with cinnamon, I added a dash of cinnamon to some of mine and that tasted lovely! I will do that for the whole batch next time and possibly a more generous dash!

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 11:52 pm
I haven't made these in a few months, but iirc, it is v important to wet your hands when shaping the balls. That helps them stick together, otherwise the batter is very loose. Mine always come out light and fluffy.

seeker

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 11:56 pm
I did wet my hands as per instructions... I guess the first couple of cookies after each hand-wetting did go a little better but I wasn't expecting cookie dough to be THAT falling-apart-y.

They weren't light and fluffy either. I wonder where I went wrong :-/

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 12:00 am
Sorry Sad maybe you overbaked? The dough is weird. I wasn't really a huge fan, to tell you the truth. For some reason I had cookie cravings during my last pregnancy, so I tried out lots of kinds and liked the fact that this one wasnt as unhealthy as some others. It just didn't feel like a cookie so much for me.

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 12:07 am
Yeah I'm in the same situation, been craving too much junk food and this is definitely among the lesser of the evils. I haven't been craving a specific cookie so it's nosh-y enough for my general nibbling needs! (when I need ice cream, though...!)

Happy 2B

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 8:25 am
IMHopinion wrote:
Does this use oatmeal(as in the cereal) or Quaker oats?

Oats as in Quaker oats. What is oatmeal as in cereal?

You use Quaker oats to make hot oatmeal which in a way is cereal.... I Hope I am answering your question correctly.

myself

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 10:19 am
ChossidMom wrote:
Makes 3 dozen of the yummiest cookies around. No margarine and very little oil!!

1 cup flour
1 1/3 cup rolled oats, uncooked
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 Tablespoons oil
1/2 cup splenda (I used sugar cause splenda costs too much in Israel)
1/2 cup Demarara sugar (I used brown)
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

Put flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and mix together. Combine other ingredients and stir in. Add flour mixture and stir (I didn't use a mixer for this. Just my bare hands!)

Wet hands and form small balls. Place 2 inches apart ona lined cookie sheet. Press down slightly with a wet fork.

Bake for 9-10 minutes or until bottoms are brown.

Taken from Mishpacha (Tamar Ansch, I think)

I was delighted to come across this low-fat cookie recipe, especially since I've got some extra oats to hand.
Is the last ingredient vanilla sugar or extract?

CM, I know you posted this years ago. Do you still make them? Any variations? TIA!

french fries

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 12:23 pm
I just made them. They were so delicious and moist. I used white spelt flour. Next time I will add in craisins.

myself

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 3:49 pm
french fries wrote:
I just made them. They were so delicious and moist. I used white spelt flour. Next time I will add in craisins.

What did you use for the vanilla? Extract or sugar?

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 8:18 pm
HELP! The first time I made these I could barely get the balls to stay together, the dough was so piece-ish. Now I just mixed up another batch, and it's too soupy to form balls, it's practically a liquid! Both times I followed the recipe to the letter, just this time I used applesauce whereas the first try I subbed oil.

What now?! I've put it in the fridge to see if it gets more workable but I'm afraid of the cookies flopping... I am not going to have enough leftover energy after this to make something else...

french fries

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 8:49 pm
myself wrote:
french fries wrote:

Vanilla

thankyou

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 10:05 pm
I don't get it
I made them and they came out yummy
But so hard - you can hardly bite some of them
Anyone?

Edited to correct autocorrect
And to ask - chossid mom what temp did u put the oven on?( I'm in Israel)

Last edited by thankyou on Fri, Jun 08 2012, 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 10:21 pm
seeker wrote:
HELP! The first time I made these I could barely get the balls to stay together, the dough was so piece-ish. Now I just mixed up another batch, and it's too soupy to form balls, it's practically a liquid! Both times I followed the recipe to the letter, just this time I used applesauce whereas the first try I subbed oil.

What now?! I've put it in the fridge to see if it gets more workable but I'm afraid of the cookies flopping... I am not going to have enough leftover energy after this to make something else...

SOOOO confused. Like I said, I followed the recipe to the letter, but the "dough" came out more like batter. Now I baked one tray and they are almost flat as matzas and falling apart, you can barely pick them up in one piece. Taste is OK. But they came out MUCH better last time. Last time they looked, felt, and tasted like actual cookies; this time they are just... something. No idea what went wrong Sad

Oh and also I got 2 trays of 9 so far (9 biggish and 9 smaller after the first ones spread and were big) and I only have a drop of batter left. Last time I got 2 trays of 12 and then one of less than 12, maybe 9.

I checked over and over and I am 100% POSITIVE I didn't leave anything out, so why would my batter be so much less?!

myself

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 10:35 am
french fries wrote:
myself wrote:
french fries wrote:

Vanilla

Perhaps we have different products in the UK so I'm not getting what you mean by vanilla. Do you know if it was vanilla sugar or vanilla extract?

seeker

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 11:15 am
When it just says "vanilla' I always assume vanilla extract. You can always substitute with the sugar, there are usually instructions on the package of how much to use per teaspoon of regular vanilla.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins