Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Shigella

amother

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 5:57 pm
My 2 1/2 yr old has Shigella. He was diagnosed after 3 wks of not feeling well. About a week later, he still hasn't had a negative culture.

What I want to know is, how long does it take to get a negative?

Does anyone have any experience who can give me some advice? I feel like this is driving me crazy!

tovasmom

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 7:51 pm
Shigella is very contagious. chances are he is reinfecting. If he wears diapers, make sure to wash your hands with hot water and soap every time you change him. If he uses the toilet, lysol the toilet seat every time it is used. Some doctors will treat with medication (antibiotics?) but only as a last resort. My pediatrician generally says just to let it take its course. When my ds caught it in playgroup (years ago) he gave it to his brother, who was in diapers at the time and I had two miserable kids at the time, and didn't know what to do with myself! At the time my pediatrician said it would take a week to 10 days for it to run its course, and when the child had no more diahrea (sp?), he was no longer contagious. Ask the pediatrician whether medication would be appropriate for your child, as it seems to be shlepping. Good Luck!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 9:11 pm
Thank you so much for your reply!

The doctor knows how long this is going on and still would rather not give antibiotics. I am extremely careful in regard to hand washing and everything! And that is what is driving me crazy! Because, I have a 6 month old, and I am completely terrified!

tovasmom

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 9:25 pm
All you can do is make your best effort. I think my baby caught it from my older ds because they had bathed together before I knew ds was sick. From then on I have been adamant, all kids bathe separately and with new water (and wiped down tub). It is a pain, but is necessary. And no shared anything! truthfully, this is good hygeine. Try to be extra careful and hope for the best.

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 4:11 pm
OP, I dont know if youre still here 4 yrs later but my son has shigella. Do you remember how long it lasted? Rather, I dont know for sure if he has it, just gave in the stool culture yesterday and waiting for results. Hes been having diarrhea for 7 days already and had high fever only the first day. Now I think I caught it from him. : (

mazelandbracha

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 5:00 pm
Kids in my class have had it. It took 3-4 weeks to get a negative culture.

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 6:11 pm
and they were home from school all that time?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics