Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Does anyone have a tiny chest freezer?

bashinda

Post Mon, Jan 21 2008, 10:03 pm
I'm thinking we don't have the space for even the typical 7.2 cu. ft. chest freezers but I've seen a 5.3 or 6.8 cu. ft freezer which we probably would have room for. We have a small fridge with a freezer on top and when it comes to yom tov, or buying my meat for the month or making challahs I begin to feel the pinch. I don't need a lot but sometimes just a little extra room would really help a lot.

Does anyone know about the brands which make these or have experience using these? I'd probably use it to store frozen meals or frozen meat or during pesach to hold some chometz to have for the first few days after Pesach.

Haier, Holiday, Avanti are the main brands I've seen.

Thanks in advance.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jan 21 2008, 10:17 pm
home depot would have those.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 21 2008, 10:28 pm
I don't have a tiny chest either, sorry

bashinda

Post Mon, Jan 21 2008, 10:33 pm
amother wrote:
I don't have a tiny chest either, sorry

not to be snarly as I'm not feeling snarly, but this isn't exactly a very helpful post unless you were thinking I was making a poll to see how many people have small chest freezers which I'm not.

To clarify I'm posting to see if any one of you lovely amothers has experience with this type of freezer. If you don't have experience there's no need to tell me.

Thanks again! Smile

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Jan 21 2008, 10:44 pm
Maybe she wasn't talking about an appliance...

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 22 2008, 10:16 am
Are yo sure you can't get a bigger one? The space fills up easily & quickly, BasHinda !!!!

Our experience has been less than stellar.

I have the 2nd largest that was made at that time, an upright, and when we moved from place to place, takeh had a hard time fitting it in to the various aprtments, and now, in our smallest apt to date, we put it in a kid's room, and he said the motor kept him up at night!

We have had it in the living room and wheras it's not beautiful, the kids did enjoy using the magnetic front to play with !!!!

On the other hand, make sure it locks, so kids don't open it on Shabbos (the light went on). We couldn't close it until after Shabbos, and that's not good for the appliance or the food inside.

It's a manual defrost, too. I can't imagine how noisy the automatic ones are.

BasHInda, for a major purchase like that, you should see it first, and mayb even listen to it. Can ou go to the Buzz or the DRimmer' shoroom in Flatbush?

I'd hate for you to be disappointed.

YALT

Post Tue, Jan 22 2008, 11:05 am
I have a small chest freezer.
I can't check now, but IY"H later I'll check what company and size it is.
I know it is considered very small, which made me wonder if it was worht bringing it in at the time (I got it for free, 2nd-hand. but had to pay to get it shlepped home.) Trust me, it was well worth it!!!!! I could fit much more than I thought in it!

I have it in my dining/living room (that's where I could make space) and it's in the corner between the bookshelf and the couch. We covered it with a pretty contact paper, and people don't even know it's a freezer. Shabbos I put my candles on top (I make sure to take out anything needed for shabbos beforehand).

There is no light in mine.

I'll try to check other info after work, and post it.

Barbara

Post Tue, Jan 22 2008, 2:23 pm
We don't have a small chest freezer, but we recently purchased a counter height refrigerator, as our fridge was too small. We bought a Summit, and have been happy with it. I know they also make freezers. Hope this helps. There's a website called compactappliance.com that has tons of these things, which will give you an idea. We didn't buy from them, though.

bashinda

Post Tue, Jan 22 2008, 8:26 pm
I've double checked and we really don't have the room for anything larger. The landlords let us use part of the basement for our washer and dryer and as metal storage unit and I checked and there's no other room. There's only a tiny amount of room for it in the dinette. I could get a bigger one and put it in the hallway but that just seems tacky to me.

So at this point I think this looks like a good option. I just haven't heard of most of the brands except for haier so wanted to see if anyone else has freezers. My main problem is that the fridge which comes with this apartment is very small.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 22 2008, 8:39 pm
In 2 apts it went in the toy room/living room. in this apt it's in the extended hallway

ya get used to it

I just don't think small is the way to go .......

bashinda

Post Tue, Jan 22 2008, 9:20 pm
certainly it's better than nothing! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics