Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Green kallah wedding dress
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

gigi

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 6:39 am
why should it bother anyone if she wants to wear green???

its her wedding... it is her special day!!

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 6:45 am
Why would it matter to anyone but the groom? I think it is odd, but I'm not the groom so my feelings aren't really important.

If she is doing it for show, don't give be impressed. Say a nice, parave kind of "what a beautiful bride" platitude, the same way you would any bride, and don't think about it to much.

If she just likes the color and doesn't want to be bound by tradition that is not a requirment (brides dresses weren't always white...I don't think even among Jews. I don't know the complete history of why we wear white) let her enjoy her moment the way she wants to.

What harm will it do anyone?

sunnybrook

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 7:15 am
Would recommend that she consider how is she going to feel about looking at her pictures 10, 20 years from now??

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 7:43 am
gigi wrote:
why should it bother anyone if she wants to wear green???

its her wedding... it is her special day!!

Thats exactly how I feel. Who are we to judge?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 7:43 am
Hey I am not the one who is choosing it. I took the norm! Happily so. But knowing their family, she wont care 20 yrs down the road.
The only thing I see stopping her is if her future parents in law get involved.
What would you guys do if you were her parents or in law parents?

cindy324

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 7:59 am
If I was her mother or MIL, I'd be horrified. First time kallah, in green???Even if it's a very pale green, I'd try to talk her out of it, but then again, I'm very traditional when it comes to these things.

A bit off topic, but someone I know , mother of the chosson, wore yellow to the wedding. And, it wasn't a pale yellow, darker beige, or gold etc, I mean BIG BIRD yellow. No kidding...it was awful.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 8:20 am
I rather love green ... Drunken Smile

maybe this is the kallah of mr green pants ... What

technic

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 8:44 am
cindy324 wrote:
A bit off topic, but someone I know , mother of the chosson, wore yellow to the wedding. And, it wasn't a pale yellow, darker beige, or gold etc, I mean BIG BIRD yellow. No kidding...it was awful.

ummmmmmm MY mother wore that yellow, and my mil zl wore hot pink, I wore ivory - it was a summer wedding and looked absolutely STUNNING - so there!!!! Tongue Out

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 8:55 am
greenfire wrote:
I rather love green ... Drunken Smile

maybe this is the kallah of mr green pants ... What

I was just going to say that!! LOL Maybe she wants to match her chosson with the green pants.

Is she the only one like that? or is her whole family "different" too? Sounds like shes doing it just for the attention. If she is the type that wont listen to what others tell her anyway, I would just keep quiet and not give her the attention.

catonmylap

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 9:53 am
This is my green dress-is this what she had in mind??

willow

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 9:58 am
Does anyone know why I can't view the picture? I can see some pictures on the forum but not all. For example I can view Ruchels cute baby but not other pictures?
Sorry to interrupt the discussion, but I would love to see the dress Smile

Hannah!

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 10:03 am
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Mon, May 05 2008, 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 10:10 am
If it was MY dd, I would tell her I hope she won't regret not having the traditional wedding pics. After that, it's her choice. I personally don't mind. Not against halacha, doesn't hurt anyone, and would probably have been totally fine a 1 or 2 centuries ago. It's not for me, so it goes as long as it's not for me!

Hannah!

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 10:11 am
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Mon, May 05 2008, 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fox

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 11:23 am
I'd let the girl wear what she wants -- given the description of her personality, there will be plenty more substantive things to produce aggravation or shock in the future.

The whole "white ballgown" wedding dress that most of us wore is actually a post-WW II Hollywood invention. According to etiquette sources, weddings in general are supposed to be a heightened or more formal extension of the family's normal "entertaining" style. If you look at pictures from before WWII -- both in Europe and the U.S. -- the kallah usually wore a suit or dress that could then be worn for Shabbos. Sometimes they were white, but not necessarily. Even my mother's dress (she married in 1952) was a very simple lace shirtwaist style. BTW, this was largely true of non jews at the time, too. When I think what is spent even on renting these ridiculous ballgowns, I wish we could all muster the courage to take a couple of steps back in time.

As for the pictures: these will be a source of amusement no matter what you're wearing. My own (from 1985) are a hoot! All the men are wearing glasses with frames big enough to use as ping-pong paddles. The women's shaitels are all teased on top or permed with kinky curls. Hey, it was the 80's -- we thought we looked good!

Squash

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 11:32 am
Hannah! wrote:
If it was someone in MY family, I'd seriously consider never speaking to that side again. I wouldn't want it to get out that a relative of mine who I am close to did something SO non-conformist at a wedding. If people think I'm close to them, maybe they'd even think I myself would consider such a thing -- it could wreak havoc for my kids shidduchim, ch"v!

Seriously, I would consider not attending the wedding to make sure that her poor choice in wedding dresses does not ch"v taint your good name.
Rolling Laughter

amother

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 12:16 pm
About half the family is a bit different.
I dont plan to convince her out of it or to not attend the wedding. I have always thought she, and most of the family to be odd.

Catonmylap-
I have no idea what she had in mind. You said it was a small size though and she is not. I barely really even speak to her.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 12:36 pm
Hannah, I dont think it was really very nice to be SOOOO sarcastic. Rolling Eyes

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 12:43 pm
Hannah,

If someone judges you according to how someone else in your family dressed for a wedding Why would you want them to marry your kid? I'm dead serious. Gevalt. What a life of fear to worry about someone else's choice in dress for their own wedding. They aren't doing anything against Halacha. I hope you are just pulling our legs here and being silly.

Hannah!

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 12:46 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Mon, May 05 2008, 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics