Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
South beach diet recipes
1  2  Next

redroses

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 3:08 pm
anyone have good south beach diet recipes for phase 1? I need something sweet. any desserts?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 3:11 pm
http://www.southbeach-diet-pla......html

shabri

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 4:23 pm
Try sugar free jello.

imokay

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 4:58 pm
when I was on the diet, I had those 30 calories, sugar free chocolate fudge pops or the sugar free ices. did the trick for me!
also, sugar free chocolate, broken up into pieces, mixed with some nuts.
not exactly recipes, b/c u r kinda limited in the first 2 weeks.
good luck!

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 5:19 pm
My dd wants to go on the South Beach diet, and I don't want her to. It's too hard - for me! I'm going to have to cook all the time. Can't she just go on a sensible no nosh, count your calorie diet?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 5:19 pm
Of course she can! That's what worked for me.

imokay

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 6:21 pm
Quote:
Can't she just go on a sensible no nosh, count your calorie diet?

im sure technically she can, but maybe she feels this will work best for her- I know id did for me. a reg. diet plan, just limiting food didnt work b/c I couldnt limit. but actually eliminating certain foods and being allowed to eat as much as I want from the permitted stuff, better suited my personality. plus, I found the initial nice amount of weight loss to be a big motivating factor.
and once u start to think about it, it's not so hard to cook for sb diet.

bigmomma

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 9:27 am
My dd also wants to go on the South Beach diet. Very difficult to have to cook portein all day etc and unbalanced and expensive. I'm trying to influence her that Weight Watchers is much more sensible.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 9:37 am
I tried SB and it was very difficult for me. . . I always felt hungry and it was always a pain making meals that I was able to eat. AFAIK, you're still not supposed to stuff yourself on SB, aren't you still supposed to stick to certain portion sizes?

imokay

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 12:08 pm
Quote:
aren't you still supposed to stick to certain portion sizes

no, u could pretty have unlimited proteins, unless u have cholestrol probs.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 12:27 pm
That doesn't make sense. Calories are calories, if you're eating too many of them, you won't lose weight.

imokay

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 7:33 pm
it has something to do with kitosis and the way the body absorbs and metabolizes sugar.
it might not make sense, and I dont claim to know the science but I lost 27 pounds on it! and I would eat these huge steaks, tons of eggs, giant tuna salads, etc.
so there must be something to it.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 06 2008, 7:17 pm
I went on something similar to SB and lost a lot of weight. Trick is, I had to get off the sugar and carb addiction. First ten days I lost 11 lbs. And I did not live without carbs. you want to know details, pm me. I think what worked for me is that I was never hungry. Eating every few hours keeps your blood sugar level high and I just lost the sugar cravings. I had one of those 30 cal Toffuti bars if I wanted something.

wanderer

Post Mon, Jan 07 2008, 2:04 pm
r those 30 cal bars and ice creams milchig only?

JewishMother18

Post Mon, Jan 07 2008, 2:42 pm
I've been following SBD for a few months now and have lost 30lb. I'm eating extremely healthily and my DH says he's never eaten so well in his life.

This is not a fad diet - it's probably one of the healthiest ways of eating. My blood work has all improved as a result too.

Yes, the first two weeks are strict and maybe a bit hard but it's only hard because most people are addicted to carbs and sugar in their diet and this plan works at ridding the body of the cravings. After that you're eating only healthy choices from all the food groups.

JewishMother18

Post Mon, Jan 07 2008, 2:52 pm
I have tons of SBD recipes but these are some that I made this Shabbat although some of them you can't use on phase 1.

Tuna Mousse

4 tins tuna in water, drained
2 green onions, chopped
tomato paste
mayonnaise
salt & black pepper

mix everything together and put in the fridge for a couple of hourse
rolls into large round patties and put on individual plates
decorate with cucumber slices, red pepper sticks and sprinkle all with paprika

Tomato & Fennel Soup

1T olive oil
1-2 large bulbs fennel, sliced
2 cloves garlic
1 large tin chopped tomatoes
2 tsp sugar
6 cups beef or vegetable stock
salt & black pepper

heat the oil and fry the fennel and garlic for 3 mins
add the tomatoes, stock, sugar, salt and pepper and simmer for 10 mins
process till smooth

Orange-Ginger Sweet Potato Casserole
4 medium sweet potatoes (about 3 1/2 pounds), scrubbed
1 orange
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon granular sugar substitute
2 large egg yolks
1/2 cup fat-free milk
Nonstick cooking spray
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Pierce potatoes with a fork and place on sheet. Bake 75 minutes, until very tender. Remove from oven; cut in half lengthwise and let cool 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
2. From orange, grate 1 tablespoon zest. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop flesh from skins into bowl of food processor. Add orange zest, ginger, and salt and pepper; process to combine. Taste; add sugar substitute as desired. Add yolks to mixture; process to combine. With motor running, pour milk through feed tube and process until blended.
3. Coat a 1 1/2–quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon in potato mixture and spread to an even layer with a spatula. Sprinkle evenly with pecans. Bake 30 minutes, until casserole is hot and pecans are browned.

Herbed White Bean and Roasted Garlic Dip

1 can white beans, rinsed/drained
1/4 cup plain yogurt or FF/LF sour cream
1 tbs. olive oil
1 bulb roasted garlic
1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Put beans and other ingredients except garlic in a blender. Squeeze the garlic out of the papers and in with the other ingredients. Puree til smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Prepare in advance and chill for at least an hour to let the flavors intensify.

Pasta with Spinach & Pine Nut Sauce

wholewheat pasta, cooked and drained
quantity of frozen leaf spinach, defrosted
1 onion, peeled & finely chopped
crushed garlic
pine nuts
1 jar of pasta sauce
salt & black pepper
oil

saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil for a few minutes
add the pine nuts and continue cooking, stirring
add the spinach and season well
add the jar of sauce and the cooked pasta and combine

Chocolate Berry Sorbet

In a blender:

1 bag frozen berries – I used blackberries
1 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
1 cup nonfat milk
1/2 cup dark and white chocolate chips – melt before adding them otherwise it comes out with bits in!
6 ice cubes

I blended this up [chocolate chips and all] and put it in glasses in the freezer. Let it set up for about an hour and ate like a soft sorbet. Very good.

imokay

Post Mon, Jan 07 2008, 4:05 pm
Quote:
r those 30 cal bars and ice creams milchig only?

the ones I buy, made by tofutti (sp?) are parve.
thank goodness.
btw, some icecream stores, like sweet choice in bklyn, sell soft, sugar free icecream, which is ok to have on the sb diet. top it with some nuts, and I never feel deprived. Very Happy

redroses

Post Tue, Jan 08 2008, 10:44 am
THank you so much jewishmother!!!!! yummmm!!

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Jan 31 2008, 6:16 am
imokay wrote:
it has something to do with kitosis and the way the body absorbs and metabolizes sugar.
it might not make sense, and I dont claim to know the science but I lost 27 pounds on it! and I would eat these huge steaks, tons of eggs, giant tuna salads, etc.
so there must be something to it.

It has nothing to do with ketosis. The South Beach Diet doesnt put you into a state of Ketosis. Atkins does. That's why on Atkins you only consume 20 grams of carbohydrates a day. Being in ketosis keeps you from getting hungry.

SBD works because you are basically cutting out all sugar and white flour. That in itself is enough to make you lose weight!!

imokay

Post Thu, Jan 31 2008, 10:13 am
Quote:
It has nothing to do with ketosis. The South Beach Diet doesnt put you into a state of Ketosis.

I think it does. the first 2 weeks do. I even bought those testing strips in the pharmacy to see if it was working! (it was)

"During phase one of the South Beach diet the body depletes its storage form of glucose known as glycogen... The body than enters a state of ketosis, which also causes one’s hunger level to decrease. Overall the diet will be lower in total energy than previously being consumed and more weight loss will be seen."
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics