Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What foods do/don't freeze well?
1  2  3  Next

Tefila

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 2:53 am
Soups and desserts incl baked goods excl frostings or fillings I know freeze well.
What else anyone Scratching Head Also how long can they be frozen for, and what containers r best for freezing besides the bags. What
I'm desperate w/h me now working..... my family still needs to eat. right?! Silent ...... Thanks in advance Tongue Out

Last edited by Tefila on Sun, Sep 11 2005, 3:01 am; edited 1 time in total

supermom

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 2:59 am
according to queen lasagnas and kugels freeze well. rice, ready made hamburgers, roast. ice cream and chocolate too Wink

I am curious too this way a can prepare some meals.

Tefila

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 3:03 am
Doesn't rice and pasta incl potatoes get soggy once frozen like don't they retain water and all that Confused

supermom

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 3:06 am
rice I never had a problem with my mother always froze rice and it tastes the same after it has been rewarmed. as for pasta I don't know since like I said queen said in one of her posts that she froze lasagnas. potatoes I don't know about either but a lot of soups always include potatoes and they seem to freeze well. about the kugels too it was queens suggestion like I said I am just repeating her post.

sarahd

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 3:16 am
Rice freezes very well. Pasta cooks up so fast, why freeze it? Meatballs, meatloaf, spaghetti sauce freeze well. What do you usually prepare for supper? Tell us, and we'll tell you if it freezes well. Very Happy

Tefila

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 3:25 am
Timely Main and side courses :But Very basic Twisted Evil Shepards pie, Lasagnia, Now Don't laugh I hate the frying so 4 me it's timely.... French toast, shock Rice pilaf, Pancakes I know some of u have that 4 breakfast in my house we have it 4 snack, lunch or even supper .....and sometimes soup w/h noodles 4 breakfast Tongue Out
Breaded chicken. Tuna patties etc, meatballs and spahgetti in sauce.
Now noone answered my other questions I need help w/h that too Wink

P.s. now if you ever came to my home you would get served something normal but w/h my family as long as it incl from all main food groups we don't care what we eat as long as it's not spinach or broccoli Exclamation
Oh and treats could also be frozen and they usually work at bribing ones kids if they don't feel like eating a perticular food

RedVines

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 9:51 am
Thanks Freilich, I was thinking about this over shabbos how I wanted to start this thread on sunday, because I must start freezing and I am cluless.... THANKS!

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 11:08 am
In the book Nechama Greisman Anthology, she gives alot of tips on freezing. she was the freezer maven and I think put asicly everything in the freezer.

I am not a big "freezer " person, maybe when I have a bigger family IY"H I will, so I don't remeber exactly what she suggested..but if you have the book look at it..

queen

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 2:14 pm
Lockshen (soup noodles) freeze great.
Boil up the entire bag, and then divide into baggies- one bag per shabbos. Why should you boil up noodles each week, EVEN if they go fast. Time plus washing out pot etc!

Ditto with kneidelach.
I'd freeze the matza balls in plastic containers with a little bit of soup liquid in them. (technically, you could freeze in bags. but double bag to prevent puncture of bag!)

Challah - baked or raw freeze great.
(I freeze them fully baked, but have friends that freeze the shaped dough)

Chicken-
(I freeze cleaned/skinned chicken, one piece per zip lock bag. This way I just defrost the pieces I need..... and all I've got to do is 'dress', and bake)

Carrot Tzimmus freezes great.

and as supermom mentioned Smile lasagna's and kugels freeze wonderfully.

Soups freeze great. (have frozen potato leak, however I stay away from freezing potatoes in general)

As Freilich wrote- meat loaves freeze great.....

I'm always careful to cover items for freezer with several layers of silver-foil, and place in TWO ziploc bags. I work hard to freeze ahead... why risk freezer burn? I also label everything with a date. It's fun to see when I made something/or how long ago was the last time I actually made chix soup etc!

hisorerus

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 3:13 pm
Here's the Nechoma Greisman articles online: Secrets from My Freezer Worth reading! She has great tips for freezing breaded chicken...

lucy

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 9:28 pm
How about a zuccini lokshen kugel?
Would it get mushy or retain its shape?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 9:39 pm
Btw, although you can freeze lasagna, stay away from freezing the lasagna noodles alone. I may be wrong..but once I HAD A few leftover, I froze them...but when I defrosted them, they broke easily.

RedVines

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 9:56 pm
HOw would you freeze soup? baggies? How long does it stay good?

I am definitly going to start!

buba123

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 10:19 pm
I freeze soups (chicken, zuchinni..) in 2 lb. plastic containers. I use 1 or 2 containers per Shabbos. All you do is warm it in a pot.

Rivk

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 10:37 pm
Queen - you sound so organized! 8) What would we do without ziploc bags!? Smile

sarahd

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 4:10 am
You can freeze soup in containers and once it's frozen remove the soup and store it in a freezer bag so you can reuse the container. This also works for applesauce, which freezes beautifully too.

RedVines

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 11:20 am
DO most desserts freeze well? Double wrapped?

queen

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 1:01 pm
when you say desserts.... are you talking about cakes?
Those freeze great, but I usually hold off icing them until right before use.
ice creams obviously freeze great.

what other kinds of desserts are you thinking of mommyof2?

Yael

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 1:17 pm
Quote:
Here's the Nechoma Greisman articles online: Secrets from My Freezer Worth reading! She has great tips for freezing breaded chicken...
thanks for posting the link. I really enjoyed reading this article and the others that come before and after it.

RedVines

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 1:22 pm
I guess just cakes...cookies...maybe batters?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen