Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Isn't Kollel Life contrary to the Ketubah?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 2:53 pm
Doesn't the Ketubah clearly state that a man is obligated to support his wife? How can they both be right?

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 3:00 pm
my husband (who works) explained it thusly: it is the husband's responsibility to make sure there is some form of income. it is not his responsibility to make that money himself as long as it comes from somewhere. so if he wife works, he may not have to. if she loses her job, however, it is his responsibility to make sure there is another source of money, be it his own job or some other source.

momof6

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 3:07 pm
A wife can willingly give up any of her ketubah rights

mimivan

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 3:41 pm
I thought that is what the collel stipend was for...as a "token" amount of support.

cdawnr

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 4:13 pm
I was taught that the wife "mochel's" the husband from his responsibility.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 4:23 pm
im not the op, but have wondered about this as well. not only this but also if Adam sinned his punishment was that he would have to work for his bread, going to kollel ok its work I understand but its not toil.
chavah/eve sinned and her punishment was childbirth and all related issues, there is no way we women can gat any easy way out of that can we?

marina

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 4:25 pm
epidural

peach

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 4:30 pm
It is the husband's responsibility to provide for the family. If the husband and wife both agree that the family would be best served (spiritually and physically) by the husband learning in kollel and the wife working, that is OK. The husband is ensuring that parnassa is taken care of, and both husband and wife are working as a partnership to bring the best to their family, which includes spiritual needs.

If the wife refuses to work, obviously it is the complete responsibility of the husband to work.

Maya

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 4:39 pm
marina wrote:
epidural

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

mimivan

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 4:41 pm
deleted.

Last edited by mimivan on Tue, Feb 05 2008, 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 10:52 pm
Do they learn Rambam in Kollel? The Rambam has warned us against learning Torah for money or trading the Torah for money.

"Anyone who decides to learn Torah, not engage in a trade, and earn his livelihood from Tzdaka, this person desecrates the name of God, despises the Torah, turns off the light of the religion, causes harm to himself, and removes his life from the world-to-come... As it says (in Pirkei Avot): All Torah which is not accompanied by a trade is destined to disappear and cause sin. Such a person will end up stealing from others." (Hilchot Talmud Torah, ch. 3.10).

The Radomske Rebbe did not get a salary from his Yeshiva in Poland and did not take money from his Chassidim. The famous Kabbalist, Rabbi Kaduri, worked as a librarian and book binder before he started teaching Torah. The Rambam and many of the older generations of Torah scholars did not get paid for their Torah. In the olden days, nobody ever got paid for learning Torah.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 10:56 pm
Quote:
Do they learn Rambam in Kollel? The Rambam has warned us against learning Torah for money or trading the Torah for money.
ummm ever heard of those two fellows called yissachar and zevulun?

But that's ok, you go ahead and condemn an entire group of men spanning different sects and groups as sinners. Rolling Eyes

Hannah!

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 11:28 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Mon, May 05 2008, 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 11:57 pm
Quote:
ummm ever heard of those two fellows called yissachar and zevulun?

Do you really believe that Pirkei Avot and the Rambam did not know about them? Yet, they said what they said for a good reason.

Who do you think was teaching Torah to the children of Zvulun?
Yissachar did in exchange for the support. Why Can't the local Kollel members be the teachers in My childrens' Yeshiva? are they any holier than Yissachar?

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 12:01 am
you obviously don't know what Kollel is about. (or perhaps don't have an understanding of the yissachar zevulun arrangment Confused )
Its based on the whole Yissachar - Zevulun arrangment to begin with.

who supports the Kollel??? The Balabatim that don't have the time to learn!
That's the whole point, they support the Kollel guys in exchange for a partnership with their torah! Which is a perfectly legal arrangement according to Torah.

(teachers in school get paid because of the premise that if they weren't teaching they would be earning money so that is what they are being paid for. This is a seperate arrangement then the yissachar zevulun one.)

amother

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 12:08 am
Repeat:

Quote:
Do you really believe that Pirkei Avot and the Rambam did not know about them? Yet, they said what they said for a good reason.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 12:10 am
show me where they say one cannot have a Yissachar - Zevulun arrangement Confused

and while you are at it perhaps we should stop paying all the lemudai kodesh teachers in school.

sarahd

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 4:33 am
Show me a source that says Yissachar taught Zevulun's children in exchange for support. I don't think you'll find it, because Shevet Shimon were the melamdei tinokos.

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 9:55 am
Who says that all Kollel guys get paid? Mine didn't for about 2 years.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 10:00 am
613 wrote:
Who says that all Kollel guys get paid? .

ditto
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics