Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Making Yom Tov Cooking Easier

klotzkashe

Post Sun, Sep 18 2005, 6:29 am
Just thinking forwards toward R"H and Sukkos - how can I make cooking for YOm Tov easier especailly as I work 1/2 a day and I work on erev Yom Tov?

ANSWER:

Cook ahead and freeze.

I have thought of the following things that can be made ahead and frozen and won't taste gross.
Let's see if we can add to them or add to ideas that make Yom Tov prep easier.

FREEZING FOODS
Make your dessert now and freeze
Make your honey cakes now and freeze
Boil your Gefilteh Fish
Bake your Chicken/Meat and freeze (the types that wouldn't go yuk) you can always heat it up on YOm Tov itself
Even whole fish can be baked and then frozen
Make your soup (obvious...)
Make your kreplach now!

Other ideas
Make some salads from the "saladas a la Thursday" thread because it's one less salad you have to prepare right before the meal.
Use alot of dips

Looking for more ideas!

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Sep 18 2005, 9:55 am
Klotz, It looks to me like you have everything.
Keep up the good work, I wish I was as organized, I haven't thought of R'H yet.

Fulloflove

Post Sun, Sep 18 2005, 8:13 pm
I really like your ideas. Another thing is if you are afraid of the freezer taste in food. *Clean your chicken when it comes fresh and freeze immediately. *freeze things like breaded shnitzel before it's fried so you just defrost and cook. *Defrost some things in the fridge the night before to ease the process.

queen

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 5:47 am
klotzkashe==== WHAT A GREAT THREAD!!!!!!!!!

supermom

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 6:42 am
make your gravy for meat, chicken, and mashed potatoes and then freeze it. make your challah and freeze unbaked. can't think of anything else yet.

p.s. I don't really have to cook for rosh hashana this year since all my meals we are eating by my in laws. so sorry can't think of what really needs to be done this year.

Last edited by supermom on Mon, Sep 19 2005, 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total

queen

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 6:47 am
supermom wrote:
make your challah and freeze unbaked

this is a great idea if you want the fresh smell of challahs permiating your house erev yom tov.... but for those who need the extra convenience----- freeze them baked. one less step to take care of (& remember)erev yom tov.

smile

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 7:44 am
freeze gefillte fish not cooked. and before yom tov just cook it. I do all my soups before.

Shimmysmom

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 10:36 am
lots of kugels freeze well too- apple kugel, apple crisp, carrot kugel. . .
in my experience everything but potato kugel.

suomynona

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 11:15 am
I am freezing everything before. I work full time & I'm trying to make double so I have for succos also, since I'll be in my 9th month then & don't want to work too hard. I started on rosh chodesh!

So far I made carrot muffins, zuchinni kugel, apple kugel, franks in blanks, challah.
I still plan on making & freezing: potato borekas, chocolate cream pie, ice cream, main dishes.
Pretty much the only things I don't plan on freezing are salad, gefilte fish & fruit cup.

Btw, I was so excited when erev shavuos came out on Sunday this year so I would be able to leave some things to cook for the last minute. By the time yom tov came, I was exhausted & couldn't stand on my feet anymore. Now I don't think that working on the computer all day erev is so bad as long as I have everything done before. Very Happy

Emuna

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 11:38 am
One more reason to freeze UNBAKED challah - it takes up a lot less room in the freezer.

For soup broths (chicken, beef, fish), I let them cool and pour into ice cube trays. Once frozen they are emptied into large ziplock bags and clearly labeled. These are PERFECT bases for sauces and gravies (boil down and thicken), cooking liquid for grains, beans, and vegetables, homemade baby food, cholent, and of course, SOUP!

midmom

Post Sun, Oct 09 2005, 3:02 am
I always freeze potato Kugel, even Pesach time. You would NEVER know. Thw trick which none of you mentioned which applies to all frozrn kugels is never to defrost them on the counter. Underbake a bit and defrost on bake in the oven. You can't go wrong with any kugel potato, vegetabe or Lukshen.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 12 2006, 5:06 pm
I made myuself crazy with all that cooking, baking, and freezing....and I have for years now...

I think next time, not pesach though, I will just serve simple meals, isn't rice good enough, does it have to be a diferent kugel or 2 for each meal?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen