Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Strange frightening story
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 2:21 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
Do you think that there is someone who thinks it's fine to write negative things about the rabbonim on the internet?

Did you read the thread "Satmar views on Zionism"? Apparently there are women on this site that find it ok.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 2:23 pm
amother wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:
Do you think that there is someone who thinks it's fine to write negative things about the rabbonim on the internet?

Did you read the thread "Satmar views on Zionism"? Apparently there are women on this site that find it ok.
Oy, here we go again...

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 2:25 pm
In genral, ppl should be cvareful what they say.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 2:27 pm
I too found it disturbing and doubt its authenticity.

Its way too punishing. A guy who writes on the internet about rabbonim, if he did, is not on high enough a level to be punished in such a way.

Quote:
Why would someone make up something like this?
What
to prove a point? because people do all kinds of wierd things?

Last edited by Lechatchila Ariber on Tue, Mar 04 2008, 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 2:28 pm
I once got this thing in the mail, it must have been sent to me by mistake. It was some Christian Fundamentalist organization, hitting people up for $. They told some horror story about somebody ignoring their plea. Poorly written, dramatic, the kind of thing that would put fear in certain kinds of peoples' hearts. I'm sorry, but it read pretty much like this thing.

Sure, people can have all sorts of dreams, but this just doesn't sound real to me.

sarahd

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 2:31 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
don't get me wrong, I believe we should listen, but I also believe that questioning their actions WITH RESPECT is not a bad thing.

<snip>

while we should listen to the gedolim, we shouldn't do so blindly.

Hm. How does this square with "lo sasuru min hadavar asher yomru lecha yamin usmol....afilu im yomru al yamin shehu smol"?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 2:43 pm
sarahd wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:
don't get me wrong, I believe we should listen, but I also believe that questioning their actions WITH RESPECT is not a bad thing.

<snip>

Hm. How does this square with "lo sasuru min hadavar asher yomru lecha yamin usmol....afilu im yomru al yamin shehu smol"?

well, if a gadol says right is left, I have the right to ask him why he says so. it may be correct to listen if he says so, but if it seems off to me, I can ask him, respectfully, the purpose of his sharing this view with me, and how it should affect my life in the future. after all, there are some serious consequences of believing right is left when everyone else believes right is right. imagine giving directions and telling the driver to turn right into oncoming traffic. am I to assume, based on a gadol saying so, that everyone agrees? should I blindly state that anyone who does not listen to this gadol's opinion of basic directions deserves collide head on with another moving car? because, based on all these articles, that is what we should do. now, there could also be a perfectly logical reason to a gadol "confusing" the two directions. suppose I am from america, he's from australia. you will note that the two countries' drivers drive on different sides of the street. if he comes to america and refuses to drive because here right is in fact, left, that makes sense. he would be happy to explain that to anyone, I'm sure.
and he wouldn't mind your asking.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 2:45 pm
oh, and we shouldn't assume that driving in america is assur. trust me, there are people who would announce that to their communities with feelings of great piety.

Motek

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 3:42 pm
sarahd wrote:

That was discussed in the Daas Torah thread. It refers to halacha.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 5:23 pm
This story sounds fake-but who needs scary stories to know posting loshon hora and motzei shame ra on the internet are terrible sins that can "earn" you enormous punishments, especially if you are talking about a talmid chochom.

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 9:08 pm
The more I read it the faker it sounds.
Poor English, yet some sophisticated words.
Fake.
Fake.
Fake.

MrsLeo

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 9:10 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
The more I read it the faker it sounds.
Poor English, yet some sophisticated words.
Fake.
Fake.
Fake.

It sounds like it was translated from hebrew because the story happened in israel.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 3:06 am
amother wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:

Maybe, but they wouldn't say something stupid like "oh, I didn't know that it's wrong to say bad things about rabbonim on the internet". Do you understand what I'm saying? This story sounds CONTRIVED.
NOT Artscroll-like or Feldheim-like. Just MADE UP.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 7:54 pm
MrsLeo wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:
You can usually check Snopes.com for scams. I doubt this one would be there though Wink

Why would someone make up something like this?

This article reminds me of how muslims use scare tactics to get people to fear and obey Islam. This is not Judaism. This article is 100% false. From the moment I read it from Mrs. Leo's original thread, I knew it was fake. Using threats to scare people into following gedolim?? Gedolim make mistakes too! And not everyone follows the same gadol. It is not wrong to question them. Nobody dies from that.
We don't need to walk around on eggshells worrying that someone will die if they say something. This is ridiculous!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 7:55 pm
sarahd wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:

<snip>

sarahd, not everyone follows this. My husband learned in YU another explanation for this. Gedolim are humans. They are not God. Humans make mistakes.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 8:22 pm
Noone is saying you have to follow everything every rav says but the point of the story was not to speak badly about a gadol.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 9:27 pm
amother, the point of the story was to scare us into listening. this is not the way to convince people. this is like "copy this chain letter 10 times and send the copies to your closest friends within a half hour or bad things will happen." stories like this achieve the opposite of what the author intends.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 6:53 am
amother wrote:
Noone is saying you have to follow everything every rav says but the point of the story was not to speak badly about a gadol.

If the story uses fear and scare tactics to FORCE people into listening, then that is completely wrong and the whole point of the article is moot. I'm not going to listen if they are trying to terrorize me that someone will die if I don't do this or this. Additionally, if people have to MAKE UP a story to get people to listen and follow gedolim, I will certainly be very turned off. Tell me something true to inspire me, but don't make up lies and false stories.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 7:25 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

If the story uses fear and scare tactics to FORCE people into listening, then that is completely wrong and the whole point of the article is moot. I'm not going to listen if they are trying to terrorize me that someone will die if I don't do this or this. Additionally, if people have to MAKE UP a story to get people to listen and follow gedolim, I will certainly be very turned off. Tell me something true to inspire me, but don't make up lies and false stories.
I agree 100%. Besides, I'm allowed to speak of human beings and express my honest feelings about them. This thing just comes off as silly and dramatic, not to mention clumsily manipulative.

LuckyMum

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 7:40 am
Whether the story is true or not is up for debate, BUT THE MESSAGE, THE POINT, IS NOT!!
I think the point here wasn't about listening or not listening to Rabbonim. It was about not belittleing or badmouthing - Speaking derogatory.
You can chose your Rov and listen to his views - but dont lower the status of someone elses Rav in their eyes by speaking badly of him, that was the point here and 100% valid.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics