Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Banging his head on the floor

yersp

Post Fri, Feb 15 2008, 9:12 am
I know that this topic was discussed but I can't find it anywhere.
My 2 1/2 yr old DS started a new mishigas. When he'll get upset and throw himself on the floor he'll hit his head on the floor. Not just hit, he'll bang it hard!! HELP!! how can I get him to stop it?? He used to do it when he started crawling and I don't remember what I did then but I got him to stop. It's scary to see him be so aggressive (dont know if this is the right word) and bang with all his might.
Any helpful advice would really be appreciated! Thank you.

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Feb 15 2008, 9:48 am
Ignore it.

pinktichel

Post Fri, Feb 15 2008, 9:56 am
Dd does this, but not just when upset. She'll do it anytime, and bang her head on anything... floor, furniture, etc. I used to pull her away, and tell her "no." Now, I ignore it, like yeshasettler said, and she hasn't done it for a while!

pink car

Post Fri, Feb 15 2008, 1:23 pm
yeah, I say ignore it too.

basically don't let the child see that it bothers you, cuz they're pretty smart, and they think they can get their way like that

my ds1 did it when he was around a year...I ignored it and it stopped within a week...

MahPitom

Post Fri, Feb 15 2008, 3:53 pm
rosy, can you ignore him? If not, trade him with a different kid for a week! You must separate from him.

grin

Post Sat, Feb 16 2008, 3:11 pm
It's scary all right - One of my kids did this at that age and she didn't stop until she saw blood. BH that finally scared her enough to stop. (No permanent internal damage B"H, just a scar on the back of her head.)

supermommy

Post Sat, Feb 16 2008, 9:21 pm
both my kids used to do that and when I finally had the guts to ignore it they eventually stopped doing it to get their way, but boy was it HARD to ignore.

greentiger

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 3:29 am
Seeing the title made me lol. Sorry but it just brings back all the memries of my brother banging his head on the floor while we were growing up. I think the advice to ignore makes the most sense since he thought it was a way of "punishing" my mother, and indeed if you would see how upset it made her, it makes perfect sense to a 4yo.

yersp

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 9:37 am
Thanks everyone!
And I realize that youre right about wanting attention because every time he did it he was watching me to see what I would do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics