Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
I am so insulted!! vent!!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 7:03 am
A few months back I made yummy cookies that I realized dh and I would never be able to finish on our own. I knew they were good because a few friends had some and said that said they were amazing. So I gave a some in a container to cousins of my dh. We are always at their house and eat there all the time, so I figured why not bring something over. They were like oh wow, thank you! etc etc etc. So I didn't feel weird or anything, the kids were loving it so I left the rest there in the container.
Now, I was there for a Shabbos and was getting stuff off a high shelf for them. I see my container there, with the cookies still in them. I was like shock and double checked. It was defintely my cookies from like 3-4 months ago!! I didn't know what to say so I just left it. Didn't mention it to my husband eitheir.

Basically this family (the cousins) is very different then me, I don't really feel comfortable with them. They are from a different country and culture. I have to fake enjoying my time with them because 'we all get along' and if I didn't people would mention to my husband 'whats wrong with your wife? why isn't she comfortable?' because that is the way the community is here. I'm not interested in being close to them like everyone expects, to be completely honest. I feel like I have nothing to talk to them about and that they ignore me all the time, I always have to start/continue the converstion but thats the way they are and do it to everyone (except some 'honored' people of the community, so obviously they are aware that they treat people differently!)

According to dh they like me and think I'm nice. But that I look like I don't want to be there sometimes. (whenever we go there). I try REALLY REALLY hard to like and respect these people, to talk to them, to feel comfortable, but always feel pushed out. I hate 'going out' with them (even when my dh comes along) or being at their house. I am now just annoyed and frankly angry that I have to deal with this stupid situation and I feel like this cookie thing just tipped the scale.

AND to top it off, way back when one of the girls in the family used to date my husband, and then when they broke up he was supposed to date another one of them!! to add to all the uncomfortable feelings!! its in the past I know but STILL

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 7:36 am
Could it possible be something as innocuous as them trying not to eat sweets? On a diet?

Marion

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 7:37 am
Maybe someone hid them so they wouldn't go overboard? In any case, I would probably tell them you found them, with Pesach coming they don't want any chametz surprises!

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 9:18 am
hey just don't bring em cookies no more ...

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 10:03 am
Didn't you ask for the container back after a while? That should have clued everyone in.

cindy324

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 11:26 am
Umm...maybe , just maybe they didn't like the cookies?? What were they supposed to do, force it down anyway? I'm sure it was good, but maybe not to their liking, and they probably forgot they put it on that shelf.

I don't understand what you're so insulted about...it's not like they TOLD you they hated the cookies, rather they spared your feelings by thanking you nicely, end of story. What good would it do for you to mention it to them? They'll most likely be embarrassed to death.

Oh, and if you dislike them so much, why do you go there so often to eat??? You don't have to accept their invitation EVERY time.
Confused

pinktichel

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 11:33 am
amother wrote:
They were like oh wow, thank you! etc etc etc. So I didn't feel weird or anything, the kids were loving it so I left the rest there in the container.

That might just have been the problem! If my kids were eating too many cookies, I would hide them before it ruins their appetite for dinner!

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 11:33 am
Ok lets not blame the cookies. You have an issue with them I hear that but...cookies? Confused
c'mon....

Raisin

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 11:36 am
just because you and some other people love something, doesn't mean other people do. I LOVE to eat lambchops, and spongecake. Dh hates them both.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 11:58 am
OMG! you missed your moment of fun!
you should have pulled them down and said "yummmmmmmmmmmmm my delicious cookies are still sitting here all "fresh" so lets have a party and injoy them...then when you would open them up they would have to tell you why they didnt want to eat them etc.

I have a funny feeling that it was a kashrus thing, and if that is true you would of picked that up right away, when she would of started winking at her kids....either way you would say, well maybe they arnt so fresh so let me dump the contents out and take the container home. Never mention about no one eating them, act like you didnt notice.

its all how you sandwich it and your emotions got the better of you. maybe next time you go back if they are still there then you can do that!

good luck!

Mommastuff

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 12:44 pm
Maybe they just forgot about them on the high shelf! I have forgotten stuff there. Especially if it's in the back.

chavs

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 12:48 pm
I can understand why you'd be insulted. I'd most likely be to. When I bake or cook I put my heart into it and if somebody didnt like it I'd be hurt.

The thing is that if they didnt like them, I would think they would have thrown them away as supposed to hide them, who wants their house full of old cookies. It most likely is because they didnt want their kids to get stomach aches from eating to much or to ruin their appetites and they put them on a high shelve and were gonna eat them when the kids went to bed or something like that and forgot.

I am sorry your cookies got old and dusty though.
for the future most cookies freeze quite well. I like to make big batches and then have some now and take the rest and freeze and take out on a "need to" basis.
Fragile ones put one behind the other like little soldiers, in a Tupperware.

red sea

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 12:57 pm
so dont give them cookies again, give it to your friends who loved them. I also think you are overreacting to the cookies situation because of the rest of your post, not really the cookies.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 1:57 am
Mommastuff wrote:
Maybe they just forgot about them on the high shelf! I have forgotten stuff there. Especially if it's in the back.

Ditto. It was on a high shelf, maybe to keep away from kids or from mom/dad noshing and they forgot about them. If the cookies were so bad, they would have thrown them away. I would not read into it so much, and just ask for the container back.

louche

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 9:58 am
cindy324 wrote:
Umm...maybe , just maybe they didn't like the cookies?? What were they supposed to do, force it down anyway? I'm sure it was good, but maybe not to their liking, and they probably forgot they put it on that shelf.

I don't understand what you're so insulted about...it's not like they TOLD you they hated the cookies, rather they spared your feelings by thanking you nicely, end of story. What good would it do for you to mention it to them? They'll most likely be embarrassed to death.

Thumbs Up It's not a mitzvas assei to like your baking.

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Mar 10 2009, 3:35 pm
Let's face it... Some people are SICKER than others. They are just a bunch of weirdos. Embrace their strangeness and try to appreciate the weirdos for what they are... WEIRDOS.
What kind of people would NOT finish off a bunch of homemade cookies?????? W-E-I-R-D-O-S!
No need to LOVE them-just be respectful and kind.

newmom

Post Tue, Mar 10 2009, 10:53 pm
hopefully the cookies are not still there as this was posted over a year ago. You might find a thread in cleaning and laundry how to get rid of the moldy smell.

Blair

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 8:07 am
Don't be so sensitive it's only a batch of cookies and your friends really liked them so that should be good enough for you.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 22 2009, 11:19 pm
tell her to send them to me

de_goldy

Post Wed, Apr 22 2009, 11:22 pm
Um... this thread is from over a year ago...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette