Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Latke recipe without GRATING potatoes
1  2  Next

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 9:12 am
All of the recipes online that I can find seem to have you grate the potatoes - either in a food processor or by hand. We like the latkes where they're food processored into mush - like potato kugel. I'd really like to try recipes that are specfically for that - I tried the others last year, and I wasn't so impressed. Anyone have a recipe liek that that you can vouch for?

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 9:16 am
I like to grate fine, which would probably be the same as putting through a food processor. Just add a bit more flour I would think.

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 9:18 am
Do you add flour to your latkes?

My DH gave me a small chopper - works wonders!

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 9:22 am
I've a hand grater and always add flour, as well as spices. (wasn't sure who you were talking to) garlic and onion powder or onions, sometimes a carrot, grated natch. hot paprika, salt and pepper.

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 9:25 am
Cool! We add onions to be funky. My DH wants to add cheese the next time (tonight we're @ our shul)...

Grated potatoes (with my new little Black n Decker mixer), egg, salt/pepper... and oil for the frying!

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 9:25 am
AlwaysGrateful, why don't you just blend the grated potatoes in the same food processor? I used to do that but decided I liked plain grated bettter.

I've also seen people chop potatoes in a blender.

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 9:48 am
We cut up the potatoes into smallish cubes and grate them in the blender. Then add an egg or two and some water and spices and then fry them in the pan.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 9:50 am
There's wonderful things called potato latke mixes. You don't have to grate any potatoes, and it's a fine grind.

Honestly, my favorite latkes are ones from the mix.

Raisin

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 9:50 am
the recipe I use grates all the potatoes, and then blends half of them. its from kbd.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 10:19 am
GR - Right, but I'm not sure that the recipes for grated potatoes work as well as the ones that are specifically for potato mush (for lack of a better word). So I'm wondering if anyone has recipes for those, specifically.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 10:22 am
Raisin - Can you give me the recipe?

DefyGravity - I know! I was going to do a mix this year, but dh asked SO politely for real latkes, said that he knows it takes a lot of time, so if I don't want to it's okay...and offered to watch the baby while I'm making them. So I guess that does it! Latkes from scratch, here we come.

Clarivka - I absolutely need recipes in order to cook. Even "add salt and pepper to taste" don't work for me. I always add too much or too little. But if I have an exact recipe, at least I can follow it...

drumjj

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 10:26 am
clarivka why do u add water surely with water in the recipe they go soggy and dont crisp up in the oil?

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 10:27 am
Yes, from my experience with potatoes, they have more than enough water in them, and no more needs to be added.

chaylizi

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 10:33 am
funny, our potato kugel is grated (like msot latkes). I won't eat it if it's mush.

msym

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 10:49 am
my mother cubes the potatos(1 potato per person)
adds eggs salt and pepper
and then blends it in a blender

this is the way she makes potato kugel as well

EvenI

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 11:51 am
My DH likes latkes made from mashed potatoes. I don't have a recipe, persay. I would have to guess. I don't remember if we actually have made them before. I won't tell you about the time that he very enthusiastically embarked on the exciting project of making latkes from potato starch. It was only after the failure that we had the relevant discussion and discovered that he misunderstood what potato starch was.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 12:11 pm
crownheights.info had a recipe for part mashed, part grated.

SingALong

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 12:30 pm
EvenI wrote:
My DH likes latkes made from mashed potatoes. I don't have a recipe, persay. I would have to guess. I don't remember if we actually have made them before. I won't tell you about the time that he very enthusiastically embarked on the exciting project of making latkes from potato starch. It was only after the failure that we had the relevant discussion and discovered that he misunderstood what potato starch was.

I used to make latkes from mashed but my DH likes it better from grated however I remember the recipe.

boil peeled potatoes
fry diced onion
mash softened potatoes
mix onions into potatoes with eggs, salt and pepper. mix till consistency is mushy but still firm enough to hold together. put into frying pan and flatten into a patty. cook till browned on both sides and latke is firm together

baba

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 12:51 pm
http://www.aish.com/chanukahgu.....s.asp

baba

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 12:51 pm
http://www.aish.com/chanukahgu.....s.asp
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus