Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What would make you happiER?
Previous  1  2

mumoo

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 4:44 pm
I think happiness is having strong, healthy relationships with Hashem, dh, children, parents. With emotional support, most troubles can be overcome

supermom

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 6:45 am
Didn't read through this whole thread.

I would be happy that my kids would grow up to be good kids with yiras shmayim. And we should all be just healthy.

For mundane wise... A robot to do all my housework, and a house of my own.

catonmylap

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 6:54 am
I just would like my husband to get a good job doing exactly the kind of work he is good at and trained for. It'd be nice if it paid well too--but I don't even need that.

chaimsmom

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 10:31 am
chayitty wrote:
happiness is totally a state of mind
its something u decide to be....

I disagree. I think there are times that we are supposed to be unhappy: a time to laugh, a time to cry, etc.

AGINY

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 11:23 am
I once saw a saying that I really liked. I don't remember it exactly but it was to the tune of "happiness is not a destination, but in the details of the journey". I don't think that happiness is something that a specific item will achieve. It is a a state of being. Now, about how to achieve it,.......??

louche

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 12:16 pm
chaimsmom wrote:
chayitty wrote:
happiness is totally a state of mind
its something u decide to be....

I disagree. I think there are times that we are supposed to be unhappy: a time to laugh, a time to cry, etc.

There is occasion-appropriate sadness which is not the same as being an unhappy person. Clearly no one is supposed to go around being jolly on Tisha B'Av or during aveilus, but that doesn't stop you from being a happy person. You can be a happy person who is experiencing temporary sadness, and I believe you can even be a happy person despite harboring a lifelong sorrow. (just imperfectly happy.)

On the flip side, even unhappy people can experience moments of joy, but that doesn't make them happy people. It makes them unhappy people who happen to be feeling joy at the moment.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics