Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Has a deceased relative ever come to you in a dream?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 6:39 pm
Did you ever have a dream where you were with a deceased relative? My brother has had 2 dreams in which a relative of ours who died not too long ago was there. It was very comforting to him to have this dream because he loved this relative very much and they were close in life. I was not as close and I'm wondering if that's why I haven't received any dreams. My brother also learns in this relative's memory, I'm wondering if my relative knows that my brother is learning for him and specifically came to him and no one else in the family?

Has anyone here been contacted in a dream by a relative or friend who passed away?

happyone

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 6:47 pm
no. wish I did Sad I often wonder if it means the 'person came to him in a dream' or if the person you think about before you go to sleep is who you dream about. I always wonder if dreams mean anything. And am highly insulted that the deceased I'm thinking about doesn't bother 'visiting' me in my dreams.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 6:53 pm
my dh had his father appear to him in dreams the whole first year after he passed away. Then his mother also came to him in dreams the first year after she passed away. She would even name other deceased relatives that were with her!! She would also reassure him that all was well. My dh found them comforting on the whole.

Squash

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 6:53 pm
my grandmother came to me in a dream. it was definitely meaningful. she was a quiet type of person and lived with us for a while. she always enjoyed my singing and laughing. and I think that is the reason why she came to me.

she was sitting in her usual spot saying tehillim and she had no chair, although she was in a sitting position and looked very good. I was overjoyed to see her (I knew she was deceased) but all she said was "ober vus vesti tin far mein neshuma?" (but what will you do for my neshama?)

the weird part is that it sounds so spookey but I was not at all spooked out. when I awoke, I discussed it with dh who suggested that I light a candle for her neshama and take upon myself something to do l'ilui neshmasa. which I did.

I'm happy I had such a direct connection with her after she passed away.

mimivan

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 6:58 pm
my MIL has dreams like this.

She said when she was pregnant with my husband, her father came to her in a dream and was quarreling with her MIL (also in the dream) about what to name the baby..

A neighbor came to her the next day and told her she had THE SAME DREAM shock Smile

When her father died, he came to the man who was going to bury him while the man was sleeping. He told the man not to bury him in the intended place. The man woke up and dug the grave only to find a sefer Torah!!

imokay

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 7:20 pm
ppl dream about what is in their subconscious. it is not unusual for ppl who are no longer with us to be on their loved one's mind, whether s/he realizes it or not...

I have had dreams where I have seen my deceased grandparents.
as much as I wud like to attach much significance, I am a big, vivd dreamer who usually remembers all of my dreams. if I would attach siginificane to each dream I had, then wow, my life wud be dif. I have had dreams about baby names, where to go on vacation, ppl who don't have children having children, ppl having tragedies, things happening to ppl I havben't seen in years, ppl getting engaged, ppl getting divorced....u name it. I dont believe im on a high enuf level to be receiving dreams that have messages from yonder.
my grandfather always said to just say that the dream is a good siman, and make some positive personal interpretation out of it it it bothers u.

Maya

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 7:27 pm
I have never had it yet, but I would find it extremely spooky. If I just dreamed about the person, then it's fine. But to have the dead person actually speak to me or tell me to do something, I would freak out.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 7:34 pm
I was by my mother and I felt a presence come to me while I slept in the early am ... I woke up immediately to comfort my mother eerily I knew her mother just passed away - we got the call within moments ...

supermommy

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 7:50 pm
I haven't personaly had such a dream but my mother has. After my grandmother passed away she would come to my mother in her dreams and tell her "I am without a name." This went on for years untill she became preg with me. The dreams suddenly stopped and my mother knew she would have a girl and what to name her.

GAMZu

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 8:25 pm
Mimivan and supermommy, those are really interesting! Wow!

(Totally off topic, but one DH dreamed about the sefer Raziel Hamalach, that there was something wrong with it and it was talking to him. In the morning he checked it and it was up-side-down on the bookshelf. I was almost due, also and there is an inyan to have all seforim right side up when you go into labor.)

MrsLeo

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 8:59 pm
I had dreams about my deceased grandparents but they didnt actually speak to me, they were just in my dream.

stem

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 9:52 pm
I had a dream about DH's grandfather who was recently niftar at the time. My DH was getting ready for a cross-country drive driving a moving van. I was very nervous about it and worried for his safety... In my dream his grandfather was was talking to DH and kept saying "Just come with me, come, I'll take care of you". shock
I woke up totally freaked out and was about to make a whole big deal about it and refuse to allow DH to drive. My teacher had told us that dreams only mean what you interpret them, but I couldn't think of any good interpretation... so I told the dream to my DH who immediately said, "Zaidy was reassuring me that he'll be with my on my long drive and help protect me." I was instantly reassured and more, I was relieved and happy.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 10:57 pm
My grandmother passed away on Friday morning. Friday night her niece in Eretz Yisroel dreamed that she saw her walking on 2 healthy legs dressed beauituflly and looking healthy and well and smiley. (My gm was an invalid for the past seven eyars.) She had no idea her aunt had died. she called her relatives in NY and discovered she ahd passed away Friday morning. amazing isnt it???

Yakira

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 10:59 pm
Right around the time of my marriage, my father who was niftar a few years was in several dreams. It was always so exciting to see him and I mamash remember the feeling of happiness that he was alive. And the disappointment when I woke up and realized it was only a dream. Still, as someone else mentioned, it was a comfort that he was still with me, especially at that specific time.

im2bz2chat

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 11:58 pm
This topic totally caught my attention.

I used to sleep at my grandmother's house every night for a number of years since she was alone and was uncomfortable sleeping herself.
After she passed away, I saw her quite a few times in my dreams over the years. Usually, soon after I'd see her, something good would happen. The first time I got engaged, the second, married, and then pregnant. So when I see her it's always a good feeling 'cause I associate it with some good news.

And if I see her and I know I'm not pregnant or having a baby, etc. I'll go out and buy a lottery ticket Wink

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 2:04 am
I don't have dreams like that but my husband does.

Here is one example. One night (years ago) he dreamt that his deceased uncle, who is buried in Bnei Brak, came to him and asked him to COME. My husband got out of bed at 2:00 am and got in the car to drive to B.B. When he got there he decided to "pop in" to his parents to see how they are (2:00 am, remember?). He gets there and finds that his father is having real trouble breathing and calls an ambulance, basically saving his father's life.

Recently, he dreamt that his father came to him and gave him a large sum of money. I'm sure it will come true!

A few months ago, he dreamt that his mother came over to help us. He is still in the year of aveilus and he interepreted this to mean that she got where she has to go and is now ready to help us!

My husband has all kinds of dreams like this, where deceased people come to him, including his rebbe.

Chani

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 2:43 am
I had a favorite, much loved uncle by marriage, Uncle David. My father was orphaned at a young age, and lived with his sister and her husband, Uncle David, who had only one child of their own, and that child had died in early childhood.

Uncle David was very close to me - just like a grandfather. He liked to have me ride around with him, and I really enjoyed being with him. He was really a very very funny guy, quite a wit, extremely intelligent (he built a successful company ground up from an invention he made which was useful in the cotton industry), and very handsome.

While I was in law school he developed Alzheimer's and a couple of years after graduation he passed away. I had this vivid dream one night. I was in my aunt's kitchen, sitting at the table, and Uncle David walked in, looking like he did when I was a little girl, not like later when he was so ill. I jumped up and said "Oh! I'm so glad they were WRONG! I thought you were dead. You look WONDERFUL!" I was utterly overjoyed. He came over to me, and put my feet on top of his and waltzed around the room with me, just like when I was little. Then he told me that he had to go now, but that I should know that he was happy and that there was a place in shemayim for him, and not to worry about him anymore.

When I told my father about this the next day, my father said something about its being close to the anniversary of his death. I don't know what possessed me, but I looked up the Hebrew date of his death - it turned out I had had this dream on his yahrzeit.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 4:09 am
Wow, wow, wow Chanie. What an unbelievable story. Brought tears to my eyes.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 5:47 am
OP, Thanks for starting this thread. It shows how love is transmitted from the next world back into this one and vice versa. : )

This has happened to me many times. Here are a few examples

Once as a college student I sensed my my great grandmother Sophie standing next to me while I was sleeping. I am named for her. I had started on the derech to becoming frum, and I think she was proud of me and came to see me. She was the last in the line on my mother's side who was frum.

Not exactly a dream, but this happened when I was in the hospital after DD was born 3 years ago. I had to put the baby in the bassinet to get up and go use the bathroom. I was moving slowly as I was only one day post partum. While I was in the bathroom I could hear my baby daughter start to wail and then I heard someone saying sshhh sshhh to her over and over and she quieted down. I assumed a nurse had come into the room. When I came out no one was there. I think either my deceased grandmother or great aunt came to see the baby and was comforting her while I was unavailable.

Another time I had a near miss of a car accident, driving my deceased grandfather's car. I pulled over to the side of the road to calm down from the scare and I could mamash feel my grandfather in the car with me - I knew he protected me from the crash.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 7:32 am
My husband has dreamed of his father a few times. The weirdest thing was definitely when we had a big dilemma and wondered what his father would have done/wanted... I said "let's hope you'll dream about it and it will give you an idea". Well I dreamed about it, and got my answer shock
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics