Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Honey cake recipe?!?!
Previous  1  2

Mevater

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 11:12 am
There are two Honey Cake recipes in the oldest Nitra cookbook. The recipe with less honey and some coffee is the best, IMO.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 11:18 am
My favorite honey cake recipe is from Marcy Goldman. It's not as heavy as the usual honey cakes I've tried. I posted it in a thread on the Yom Tov board:

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....ight=

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 11:19 am
I never had mazel with those cakes, I use diff recipes, posted here.

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 11:24 am
I use the original cookbook ... but tend to modify the recipes ... spicy one ... guess what just checked ... old reliable honey (nut) ... leave out just the nuts ... do NOT overbake ... makes the difference ...

MMEC123

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 6:07 pm
I used one. It was very dense- almost breadlike. Happens to be we (me, DH & guests) enjoyed it but it's a matter of taste I guess.

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 7:14 pm
yup ... I overbaked mine cause I ran to the store ... and ... we needed coffee to help ...

bashinda

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 9:06 pm
I made a honey sponge cake which advertised itself as being one even non honey cake lovers like and it's scrumptious for breaking a 26 hour fast but otherwise it's well it's okay but then again I don't willingly eat honey cake. It's nice and light though:

http://jewishfood-list.com/rec......html

I tend to 1/2 the recipe to make the minimum but it's nice as I said for those who like honey cakes and light and airy for those of us who don't!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 9:50 pm
The custom is to eat sweet things. You'd think just about any cake would be sweet, why davkeh honey, since ppl don't even love it?

Crayon210

Post Fri, Oct 17 2008, 11:15 am
Clarissa wrote:
I don't know if anyone still needs a honey cake recipe, but this is my absolute favorite. It's so easy to make. It's not too honey-ish, it's almost like a spice cake, with enough honey to count as a honey cake. It's from the book A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking, by Marcy Goldman.

MAJESTIC AND MOIST NEW YEAR'S HONEY CAKE

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup honey
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup warm water or strong tea
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup rye or whiskey (see note)
1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds (optional)

I like this cake best baked in a 9 inch angel food cake pan, but you can also make it in a 10-inch tube or bundt cake pain, a 9 by 13-inch sheetpan, or three 8 by 4 1/2-inch loaf pans.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease the pan(s). For tube and angel food pans, line the bottom with lightly greased parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Make a well in the center and add the oil, honey, sugars, eggs, vanilla, coffee, orange juice and rye or whiskey.

Using a strong wire whisk or an electric mixer on slow speed, combine the ingredients well to make a thick batter, making sure that no ingredients are stuck to the bottom of the bowl.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan(s) and sprinkle the top of the cake (s) evenly with the almonds. Place the cake pan(s) on 2 baking sheets stacked together and bake until the cake springs back when you touch it gently in the center. For angel and tube cake pains, bake for 60 to 70 minutes; loaf cakes, 45 to 55 minutes. For sheet-style cakes, the baking time is 40 to 45 minutes. This is a liquidy batter and, depending on your oven, it may need extra time. Cake should spring back when slightly pressed.

Let cake stand for 15 minutes before removing it from the pan. Then invert it onto a wire rack to cool completely.

(My notes: I prefer less spice, so I use smaller amounts of cinnamon, cloves and allspice. What I do is mix them together and add in smaller amounts until it smells right to me. I guess I kind of experiment. I've only done it in a sheet pan (9 x 13) and don't invert onto the rack. I just serve it out of the pan.)

Clarissa, is this the recipe you were talking about? Wow! Thank you for posting. ;-)

Clarissa

Post Fri, Oct 17 2008, 11:22 am
That's it, and thank you for thanking me!

ectomorph

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:11 pm
Rivk wrote:
This is the best and easiest honey cake that I've ever made.
It's called "old fashioned honey cake"
It's from "The Taste of Shabbos" cookbook

2 eggs
3/4 c. honey
1 c. sugar
1/2 c.+1Tbs. oil
1tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cocoa
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 c. flour
1 c. strong coffee

Combine eggs, honey, sugar, and oil. MIx in dry ingredients alternating with coffee. Beat five minutes. Pour into 9x13 greased pan. Bake at 375 till done. (sorry - no exact time in cookbook, but I'd estimate 40 - 5 min.
My husband loves this cake!

Thank you! I just made this recipe. I replaced some of the sugar with molasses , a tablespoon of the flour with whole wheat flour, and added some nutmeg.

My honey cake batter was liquidy. Is that okay? I put it in the oven and will let you know how it came out. I just want some reassurance that the batter is supposed to be liquidy.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus