Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Telemarketers...

Seraph

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 1:16 pm
...are people too.
Yes, I know it may be annoying to get called up by someone during an inconvinient time, be it dinner, as you're about to walk out the door, or while you're in the shower, but trust me, its not intentional. Don't yell at us "how dare we call at 8 pm, its too late, because other people specifically ask us to call at that time, so how are we to know that 8 pm is a bad time for you? We're not trying to bother you on purpose.
And even if you're not interested in whatever we have to offer you, tell me politely, "I'm not interested. Have a great day." and dont just hang up on me midsentence, thats just rude.
And dont get mad at me for calling your cell phone- thats the number you gave us to call you at!
And dont get mad at us for calling over and over- if u picked up the first time and told us u werent interested, we wouldnt call back!
And don't curse us out and threaten law suits for calling you, because you signed an agreement that we were allowed to call you! We're not breaching a contract ror anything. And if you're on the national do not call list, rethink signing up for stuff online if you're gonna get mad at us when we call you.
Oh, and why waste your time calling back if you're gonna hang up before I can say a word?

just a little vent.

Oh, and I used to be on the other side of the storey. I had hung up on people that called and couldnt pronounce my name right, thinking they must be telemarketers. But now that I'm doing it, have a little decency, and tellus politely "I"m really not interested. But have a good day."

shalhevet

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 2:23 pm
This morning I was sitting translating (that needs a lot of concentration) when the phone rang. I have to pick it up, because maybe someone is looking to give me a job, or it's the school or cheder or gan... But, no, someone is trying to sell me something. Takes me a few minutes to get back into my work. So tell me, is this gezel zman or isn't it?

What about when I'm reading my children a story, or talking to them, or taking a nap... ?

And if you say to most of these telemarketers (I'm sure not you, breslov Wink ) that you're not interested, they're trained to start asking why, as if I have to tell them... (like the telemarketer who asked dh last week why he isn't interested in cable TV shock ), and they don't let you go easily. I've found the only way not to waste ten minutes is to say I'm not interested and put down the phone before they have a chance to answer.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 2:24 pm
I used to do cold-calling for advertisers. Sometimes I'd think that the people who hung up on me were possibly passing up tens of thousands of dollars.

GetReal

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 2:41 pm
A few weeks ago I got a call from offering me a credit-card protection plan. I listened politely and said no thank you. I got another call about it the next day...and the next, and the next. By the fifth time it was VERY hard to be polite. How many times in a row do I have to say no?

ally

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 3:52 pm
I can be polite to people.
what really irritates me is recorded telemarketing.
luckily, machines dont have feelings and you can hang up on those.

abismommy

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 4:10 pm
just curious, but why does everyone always pick up the phone in the first place? aren't there times when you just ignore it and let it go to your voicemail/machine? I am NOT a slave to the phone and I ignore it when I just don't want to take calls - whether Im with the kids, eating supper with dh (which happens not often enough bec. of his schedule Sad ) or just plain too busy.
(just a vent...it's gonna be a long day....)

shalhevet

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 4:47 pm
abismommy wrote:
just curious, but why does everyone always pick up the phone in the first place? aren't there times when you just ignore it and let it go to your voicemail/machine? I am NOT a slave to the phone and I ignore it when I just don't want to take calls - whether Im with the kids, eating supper with dh (which happens not often enough bec. of his schedule Sad ) or just plain too busy.
(just a vent...it's gonna be a long day....)

Because I get calls about work, and other important calls that I don't want the voicemail to answer. I only got voicemail a couple of years ago, so I guess it's a habit to always answer.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 4:51 pm
Yes I always run to the phone because I Have kids out of the house and always have to be available. Yes ms breslov when you made me run out of the shower to pick up the phone and cold calling when I am on the no cold calling list but you desguise under "charity" I get very very upset. Also how many times will you beg for money when I told you I cannot give. Tell me the polite way to say NO after I said 4 times I cant give and you are still begging. I have been scammed by a charity and will never give money to someone over the phone.

Seraph

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 5:17 pm
Btw, I don't do cold calling. Ppl sign up with us over the net and we call to verify their info. Not cold calling at all...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette