Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hot dogs
1  2  Next

Tovah

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 4:53 pm
I had this discussion the other day with a relative of mine abt giving hot dogs to children for super. (I never gave my daughter a hot dog)
what do u think?

shoy18

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 5:07 pm
one of my cousins lost her 2 year old daughter bec she choked on a hotdog and hatzolah couldnt get it out.

I know that you can cut it in four length wise like a pickle and put it back together in a bun and its much safer.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 5:10 pm
yes, you should cut it length wise and/or take off the skin for young children. big choking hazard, I've learned, as a teacher. cutting into regular slices is no good, either.

mother48

Post Tue, Sep 27 2005, 9:52 am
same goes for grapes-always cut lengh wise (hot dogs, grapes, round candies, etc..)

Pearl

Post Tue, Sep 27 2005, 10:02 am
is the question re the size and shape, or re nutrition?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 9:25 pm
for my kids I take off the skin and cut it

deedee

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 11:01 pm
if its for nutrition....NO!!!! they have nitrates in them.
"Nitrates (also called Nitrites) is a preservative and used to set color in food. Nitrates and Nitrites form Nitrosamines in the body. Nitrosamines are carcinogenic."
http://www.deliciousorganics.c.....s.htm
try tofu dogs...my daughter loves them!

supermom

Post Thu, Nov 10 2005, 5:35 am
dedee you can get ones that don't contain any.
in my opinion I think the soy hotdogs taste like dirt. my kids and husband loves them but I hate them.

shanie5

Post Thu, Nov 10 2005, 8:42 am
I had to do the heimlich manuever on my daughter when she choked on a hot dog. she was over 9 at the time.
dont slice them in rounds-thats when they get caught in the throat.
as for not healthy- either get the no notrite kind, or just dont serve often. I do the second option.

supermom

Post Thu, Nov 10 2005, 9:37 am
forget about the nitrates how about all that junk they put in?? it goes the same as salami it is pure leftovers that they cant sell

raizy

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 9:32 pm
personnally I cant stand salami and hotdogs. but what kind of ubringeing will your kids get if they dont eat this two foods. Twisted Evil

I serve it a few times a year mostly in the summer when we grill it..

gryp

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 3:12 pm
Quote:
in my opinion I think the soy hotdogs taste like dirt

supermom, I know just what youre talking about! in sem (in Israel) they served it to us with dough wrapped around it. most of us ate the dough and dumped the hot dog, they do taste just like dirt. Very Happy
after a while, many many months, we were able to stand the taste if we used tons of (Israeli Rolling Eyes, not American) ketchup. [/quote]

red sea

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 4:48 pm
When I was pregnant with my first kid my dr told me not to eat nitrates. So I figure if it's so bad that you can't even eat it because a trace is no good for a fetus, then I for sure won't give it to my kids. My kids are still relatively young and they know that we don't eat nitrates. As far as the pure junk of scrap meat akin to the kind they use for cheap dog food, I spend extra money buying premium, healthier, and lean cuts of meat _ and I'm going to let them eat that garbage? Not while it's my doing. I teach what I believe and when they're older they'll decide for themselves, but at least I got to influence my opinion first.

deedee

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 11:19 pm
Quote:
dedee you can get ones that don't contain any.
in my opinion I think the soy hotdogs taste like dirt. my kids and husband loves them but I hate them.

I dont know where u get them but I have never seen real hotdogs w/o nitrates! there are a few diff brands of soy dogs maybe u will like one ver the other.
Quote:
supermom, I know just what youre talking about! in sem (in Israel) they served it to us with dough wrapped around it. most of us ate the dough and dumped the hot dog, they do taste just like dirt.

in my family's resturant we used to sell them wraped in dough with melted cheese inside. they were delish, especially dipped in mustard.

tzivi

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 1:35 am
I agree with whoever said that it is part of a kid's upbringing to eat the occasional hotdog! Sometimes we have to give in just a little to let our kids feel normal. On a side note, I know someone who never lets her kids eat nush and whenever they go to a birthday party they basically chazer themselves like crazy!

chen

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 11:52 am
tzivi wrote:
I agree with whoever said that it is part of a kid's upbringing to eat the occasional hotdog! Sometimes we have to give in just a little to let our kids feel normal. On a side note, I know someone who never lets her kids eat nush and whenever they go to a birthday party they basically chazer themselves like crazy!

well, better than chazering all the time...

IMO kids are going to eventually develop whatever taste they are going to develop no matter what you do. You should control as much as you can when they are young, but with the understanding that even if you make your house a totally sugar-free, nosh-free, nitrate-free, artificial-ingredient-free zone, once they hit preschool and are introduced to the wonders of junk food, they will light up like the Great White Way (where has this stuff been all my life?) or they will not.

And BTW, preschools must really have it in for moms who are trying to keep their kids junk-food free. dd's morah told the mothers that they should send one junk-food snack and one non-junk-food snack with their child every day. One mother who sent two non-junk-food snacks was actually given what-for (gently, but quite firmly) for depriving her child of sweets. shock The poor mother explained that she was trying to counteract all the birthday parties, shabbos parties, yomtov parties, we-learned-a-new-letter-of-the-alef-bais parties, not to mention the what-can-it-hurt-I-only-see-him-once-a-week cookies from the bakery lady and the bubbie and the grocery man and the great-aunt... Rolling Eyes

middy

Post Mon, Dec 19 2005, 3:52 pm
deedee- Meal Mart makes hot dogs w/o nitrates. They are kept frozen bec.they are not preserved. there are several diff. brands of soy hot dogs. my kids like lite life.

ektsm

Post Fri, Mar 03 2006, 3:01 pm
Everything in moderation is fine.

hisorerus

Post Fri, Mar 03 2006, 3:03 pm
But some things are addictive, so be careful!

ektsm

Post Sat, Mar 18 2006, 9:15 pm
anything in moderation is fine.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics