Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Substitute whole wheat flour?

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 1:28 pm
My Challah takes 4 cups of flour. Can I substitute 2 cups of whole wheat flour? Will it come out OK if I do that or do I have to change the whole recipe?

willow

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 1:49 pm
Why not?

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 1:50 pm
I don't know, maybe it wont rise properly...do I have to change any other ingredients???

willow

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 1:53 pm
I have a regular Challah recipe that I had at my dh Aunts house, it was one of the best recipes I ever had. Being I only use WW I substituted all the flour with ww and it is awesome. To toot my own horn every single person down to those who abhor healthy food thinks my ww challah is the best they ever tasted.

louche

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 2:23 pm
Conventional wisdom is that you can substitute up to 1/3 whwh with no changes whatsoever. beyond that you have to experiment. I would personally start out with half whole wheat b/c I haven't the patience to start with just 1/3, and then try 3/4 and finally 100%.

as long as you add only enough flour to make the dough tacky and not actually unsticky, it should be ok. whwh tends to have a drier texture than white.

montrealmommy

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 3:52 pm
I use the same base reicpe for my white, whole wheat and spelt challahs - with whole wheat I asdd a little more yeast (.8oz/7-8 cups) or 1 tbspn dry active

It adds a little more softness to the challah.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 4:52 pm
Ok I substituted 2 cups of whole wheat flour, it seems to have risen nicely. I'm letting it rise again now. I hope it doesn't come out dry!

willow

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 1:19 pm
How did it turn out?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads