Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Michal?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 5:18 pm
What do you think of the name? And what nicknames would work in the US without the "chaf" sound? I can't think of any. We don't live in a very Jewish area, so I want my kids to have options.

cassandra

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 5:19 pm
It's a popular name, but I have a problem with naming my child after unfavorable characters in Tanach. Michal did not have a very good life.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 5:52 pm
I have a cousin they call Mickie -- but then again, she's probably 3 or 4...I don't think it will last long Smile

ETA: Oh, it's already switching over to Michali now that I remember...

cassandra

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 5:56 pm
I know a Michal who went by Micki into adulthood...

I also know Michals who go by Michelle in secular settings.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 8:21 pm
It is my name. I love the name, but I must admit, among non jews-work, college, etc., People are always mispronouncing, asking me how to pronounce, or coming close, and being so proud of themselves and I don't have the heart to tell them not exactly and the patience to repeat it a dozen times. I am used to it, and forgiving when my name is mispronounced. Some people ask me 10 times how to say it because they know when they try it doesn't sound right. Also, if someone just sees my name (I spell it Michal) and they don't know my gender, they will assume it's Michael. They will ask for Mr._______. At the bank, they thought there were two men's names on the check and who is this woman trying to cash it. I turned 18 and the government wanted to know why I didn't register for I forgot what it's called that boy's have to do. Good luck with your decision.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 5:56 am
its also my name. I also had so many butchered versions of those, but you learn to accept it along with a ny nechama or menucha.
I have been called michael by too many who see that. I lve it when I use my credit card and they say you cannot use your hubbys card. then of course I have to pull ID.
I have been caleld micki alot, mick, mike chali- maybe try mili?

my favorite was sitting in an OB office and they called me for an ultra sound, and I see the nurses whispering michael? for a fetal ultrasound?
I knew it was me.
and then I introduce myself as michelle to most non jews anyways, aand then my hubby started calling me shelly.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 7:01 am
mimi is a classic nickname for michal (and miriam)

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 6:27 am
my niece is called michal whenshe was younger she was knowna s michali or chali.

oh and munny my dr is called micki shortened for michael but anyways the dutch usually don't have a problemw ith teh ch...

Seraph

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 10:50 am
michal is my second name. and honestly, I',m not so into it. I never use it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names