Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Driving without baby carseats, what's the penalty?
1  2  Next

Esther23

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 10:49 am
I know it's very dangerous and I would never do it,but if someone asks me for a ride for herself and her baby without a carseat, I'm curious what would happen if a police would stop me? (in New York)
What about a taxi/car service?

Sunangel

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 10:58 am
They could charge you with reckless endangerment...which could mean removing the child from its parents care. You will be fined a huge penalty...not sure what it is.

The worst case scenario...you will end up with a seriously injured baby...dont do it.

zigi

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 11:00 am
I don't think a taxi requires it but I'm not sure.

chen

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 11:04 am
Taxis, like buses, don't require it b/c it would be pretty infeasible, but as driver of the car you are responsible for the behavior of all occupants. You could end up with a stiff penalty, and as already posted, CH"V an injured passenger.

zigi

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 11:09 am
http://www.iihs.org/laws/state......html this is a link to the state laws about car seats in ny the fine is 100$

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 11:16 am
possible death

2preciousones

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 11:19 am
my husbands friend was driving home from the mountains this summer with 3 kids who were supposed to be in booster seats, a cop pulled him over and he got 3 tickets (I don't know the amount) and each ticket is worth 3 points on your license!!! Always use car/booster seats!

su7kids

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 11:39 am
Even if there's no fine, its not worth the risk.
Even just putting on your brakes and stopping safely can cause a baby to fly out of the hands of the person holding them.

Yes, even around the block. Its just not worth it at all ever, don't do it. YOur conscience will hurt you forever if something happened to the child.

"Sorry, in my car only seatbelts and car seats, as much as I'd love to help."

ny21

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 12:35 pm
I glanced at these two site WWW.safekids.org
carseat.org

I think that triple a lends out car seats for free.

Last edited by ny21 on Sat, Aug 18 2007, 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

ChavieK

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 5:02 pm
I think Green put it best.

chen

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 12:10 am
su7kids wrote:

"Sorry, in my car only seatbelts and car seats, as much as I'd love to help."

Good for you, su! And may I add to that--"no one borrows my kid's bike unless he's wearing a bike helmet".

chavamom

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 1:29 am
chen wrote:

Good for you, su! And may I add to that--"no one borrows my kid's bike unless he's wearing a bike helmet".

Good for you! There is a teenager in the facility where I work ped. rehab that got a bike for his birthday. His mother said he couldn't ride it until they got him a helmet. The father said "just let him try it out, we grew up with bikes without helmets - what's this once?" The kid lost control of the bike and has a serious brain injury r'l. Even once is not worth it.

Garden-Gnome

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 1:58 am
I just don't understand why people in New York think, even think that it is ok to drive anywhere, even down the block, without a child properly buckled in. I have had friends ask for rides and simply said no.
I have seen minivans (with Jewish drivers) driving with children standing up in the back and middle seats and wonder what goes through their minds when the kids get in the car.
In my car, we do not go until everyone is strapped in/buckled up and as safe as we humans can make the ride.
And since I'm not from the US I'm wondering - why are car seats not required for taxis?

shalhevet

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 2:10 am
amother wrote:
why was my post reported? ny21 edited her post obviously after I wrote mine, but she originally said to PM her if we want to know more info about child safety. I just didn't understand why, if she knew something important about child safety, that she couldn't have just told everyone here out in the open. but now her post is edited and I look like a jerk.

If you thought your post was reasonable and wouldn't hurt anyone, then why did you use amother?
And if you hadn't used amother then whoever reported your post could have pmed you to edit yours.
Next time if you have something to say use your screename, and if you want to be nasty, don't bother.

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 6:35 am
Esther23 wrote:
I know it's very dangerous and I would never do it,but if someone asks me for a ride for herself and her baby without a carseat, I'm curious what would happen if a police would stop me? (in New York)
What about a taxi/car service?

I think this is a very good question, because say you would refuse to give your friends and her baby a ride, possibly the only option she would have is to take a taxi, also without a carseat. She would certainly not be safer that way.

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 9:00 am
I just knocked on someones window the other day cause I saw a little boy playing in the front ... he assureed me that the kid has a car seat and is just waiting for mom who is in the store ... but you never know ... some people just do not realize the grave consequences of an unbuckled kid ...

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 9:23 pm
amother wrote:
ny21, why would we need to PM you for details? I think we all know what triple A is, and I think we all know to put our kids in carseats.
do you know something that we don't?

if that were the case then this thread would not have been started ... shock

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 9:33 pm
My bro. is a cop and his police station gives out carseats for free. They also all had training to put in carseats correctly. Call your local precinct and maybe they can help you.

timeout

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 9:53 pm
my BIL was driving a van many years ago with kids from camp he got into an accident couple of the kids got killed and he was charged with reckless homicide.

Same would be if you took someone without a carseat right?

zeldy

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 12:09 am
Quote:
His mother said he couldn't ride it until they got him a helmet. The father said "just let him try it out, we grew up with bikes without helmets - what's this once?" The kid lost control of the bike and has a serious brain injury r'l. Even once is not worth it.

I feel terrible for the father.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics