Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Shaloseudos For Shabbos Hagodol -- What To Serve?
1  2  Next

Hannah!

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 9:18 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Sun, May 04 2008, 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

gonewiththewind

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 10:40 pm
Hannah, if you are up to worrying about what to serve for shalosh seudos on shabbs hagodal, I don't think I like you.
But seriously, since we wash for shalosh seudos and shabbos is erev pesach we have to eat before the zeman. So we wash, eat challah, bentch, take a walk around the block for a separation, and shalosh seudos is the main meal.

Hannah!

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 11:52 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Sun, May 04 2008, 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

anonymom

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 12:27 am
Whether you wash earlier or have fruit later, you still have the question of what to serve everyone the whole long afternoon. some ideas: Shehakol cakes, nuts, cheese, yogurt, cold kugel, cold cuts, veggies with dressing or eggplant spread, gefilta or any other fish.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 12:32 am
oh and remember u cant eat things that are part of the seder (or is that a lubav minhag?)

Marion

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 4:39 am
So we're doing an "early" seuda...I'm not planning on a big meal for the seuda. For seudah shlishit I'm serving salad, tongue (I hope), cooked veggies, and probably potatoes (although I'm trying to convince DH that rice is only kitniyot so there's no reason not to have it erev Pesach). Fruit and maybe something cakey will be served at Shulchan Orech.

sarahd

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 5:36 am
Marion, erev Pesach after zeman biur chometz (or is it after chatzos?) is the same as Pesach with regard to what you can eat, except even harder because you can't eat matzo.

Based on previous experience, my family will be sadly wandering around on Shabbos afternoon, eating hard-boiled eggs and Pesach cake and kvetching.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 6:24 am
sarahd wrote:
Marion, erev Pesach after zeman biur chometz (or is it after chatzos?) is the same as Pesach with regard to what you can eat

From zman achilas chametz, it is midrabanan not to eat chometz. From chatzos (halachic midday) it is midoraiysa already, because it was (and iyH will be) the time of bringing the korban Pesach. So, no halachic difference for all the chumras.

The time when there is machlokes if you can eat KLP kitnios is the FOLLOWING Shabbos for those of us in EY, when it will be Isru Chag for us. We don't eat anything we don't eat on Pesach, because there is an inyan of what was muktza when Shabbos came in (which is before Pesach finishes at tzeis hakochavim) is muktza for the whole Shabbos. Besides which, keilim problems etc. The interesting question is, if we go and visit Sephardim that Shabbos, whose kitnios was not muktza, if we can nash on some of their Bamba. Ask your LOR.

I want to ask dh about making gebrokts for that Shabbos, but I seem to remember there was some problem with it - maybe the keilim for next year.

hila

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 6:52 am
Sorry Shalhevet - you will have to wait for all that . This year Shabbat is LAST DAY PESACH

Isru Chag this year is Sunday. Back to work for me Sad

hila

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 6:54 am
Sorry Shalhevet - you will have to wait for all that . This year Shabbat is LAST DAY PESACH

shalhevet

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 7:05 am
hila wrote:

Whoops, you are right. embarrassed

I almost had a guest from chul, because I thought it wouldn't matter because the last day was on Shabbat. In the end it didn't work out, but what would I have done about Sunday?

hila

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 7:11 am
You would have done what we did one year - put your stuff away on sunday night.
(and make sure your chametz is sold for an extra day)

However that year - I went off to work, came home, and offered our guests tea, only to find we had run out of sugar. So I wnet to teh macolet next door, and asked for sugar KLP.
The old fellow there looked at me as if I was crazy. "Either it is chag and you cant buy - or it isnt"

It was a long time ago.

Anyway enjoy your kitniyot on the days before pesach this year. Great for kids on thse last few days.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 7:14 am
Keeping Pesach for another day is not an option for various reasons.

And why would we have to sell our chametz for another day? We don't have an issur of owning it that day.

hila

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 7:18 am
but your guest would have a Baal yeraeh, and issur too.
Ask your Rov if and when it happens

JewishMother18

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 9:01 am
shalhevet wrote:
The time when there is machlokes if you can eat KLP kitnios is the FOLLOWING Shabbos for those of us in EY, when it will be Isru Chag for us. We don't eat anything we don't eat on Pesach, because there is an inyan of what was muktza when Shabbos came in (which is before Pesach finishes at tzeis hakochavim) is muktza for the whole Shabbos. Besides which, keilim problems etc. The interesting question is, if we go and visit Sephardim that Shabbos, whose kitnios was not muktza, if we can nash on some of their Bamba.

Can you (generic you) eat kitniot on disposable plates erev Pesach?

freidasima

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 9:17 am
If you have guests from abroad we were told that you HAVE to keep pesach another full day. Period. The rabbanut which sells the chometz sells it for only the 7 days and technically if you have it separately you can take it out or bring in bread from outside to eat on paper plates where your family from abroad doesn't see, but otherwise you are stuck.

Marion

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 9:43 am
shalhevet wrote:
sarahd wrote:
Marion, erev Pesach after zeman biur chometz (or is it after chatzos?) is the same as Pesach with regard to what you can eat

From zman achilas chametz, it is midrabanan not to eat chometz. From chatzos (halachic midday) it is midoraiysa already, because it was (and iyH will be) the time of bringing the korban Pesach. So, no halachic difference for all the chumras.

The time when there is machlokes if you can eat KLP kitnios is the FOLLOWING Shabbos for those of us in EY, when it will be Isru Chag for us. We don't eat anything we don't eat on Pesach, because there is an inyan of what was muktza when Shabbos came in (which is before Pesach finishes at tzeis hakochavim) is muktza for the whole Shabbos. Besides which, keilim problems etc. The interesting question is, if we go and visit Sephardim that Shabbos, whose kitnios was not muktza, if we can nash on some of their Bamba. Ask your LOR.

I want to ask dh about making gebrokts for that Shabbos, but I seem to remember there was some problem with it - maybe the keilim for next year.

But kitniot (KLP or otherwise) is NOT chametz.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 10:08 am
Hannah! wrote:
I'd like to serve one or two more dishes as well in order to make the seuda more like a nice yuntif meal and less like a snack on a piece of fruit.

Why? It's not yomtov. I'm not making a fuss of it here. We're gonna eat whatevr we have/are allowed to eat.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 10:13 am
hila wrote:
but your guest would have a Baal yeraeh, and issur too.
Ask your Rov if and when it happens

I asked dh. There is no issur of seeing chometz that doesn't belong to you. Otherwise how could you go out into the street in a non-frum/ Jewish area?

shalhevet

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 10:14 am
Jewish Mother wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
The time when there is machlokes if you can eat KLP kitnios is the FOLLOWING Shabbos for those of us in EY, when it will be Isru Chag for us. We don't eat anything we don't eat on Pesach, because there is an inyan of what was muktza when Shabbos came in (which is before Pesach finishes at tzeis hakochavim) is muktza for the whole Shabbos. Besides which, keilim problems etc. The interesting question is, if we go and visit Sephardim that Shabbos, whose kitnios was not muktza, if we can nash on some of their Bamba.

Can you (generic you) eat kitniot on disposable plates erev Pesach?

Only up to sof zman achilas chometz. You (also generic) have to keep all your minhagim/ chumrot whatever from that time.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics