Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Recommend Fiction Authors / Books
1  2  3  Next

Maya

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 4:04 pm
I often go to the library, and just roam the place, because I don't know which book to pick up. Can anyone please recommend any good books or authors that I can check out? I want fiction because there is already a thread on non-fiction books.

I'm currently reading Chaim Potok and Jane Smiley.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 4:06 pm
There's a great site called:
www.whatshouldIreadnext.com

You put in the name of authors or books that you like and it lists books that are similar. I've found lots of great authors using that site.

Maya

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 4:09 pm
Hey, that's a great site! Thanks so much. I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time on it now...

yo'ma

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 4:11 pm
Quote:
I often go to the library, and just roam the place, because I don't know which book to pick up
You're lucky that you get to go to the library at least. I used to get about 3-5 every week or so and then I figure, I'd like at least 1 or 2. Now I purchase and hope for the best. I just gave all my books to bennysmommy from the past year. I don't read a book twice because once I read it, I usually remember it if I read it again.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 4:12 pm
I've also enjoyed many books from Oprah's book club.

Hadassa Avra

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 4:17 pm
I love fantasy. Guy Gavriel Kay is the best (does have mature themes). Terry Pratchett's Discworld series (mostly clean - inuendo only & some language & he does have some young adult ones that are great for adults and clean).

sunshine!

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 4:22 pm
There is a book called "My sisters keeper". The author is Jodi Picoult and all the books I have read by her so far are outstanding.

Maya

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 4:23 pm
sunshine! wrote:
There is a book called "My sisters keeper". The author is Jodi Picoult and all the books I have read by her so far are outstanding.

Is this her latest? I once tried reading one of her books, but couldn't finish it. Maybe I'll try this one. Thanks.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 4:24 pm
I like most of her books also. I recently started reading Barbara Delinsky, the 2 books that I've read of hers were kind of similar to Jodi Picoult's.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 4:29 pm
Maya wrote:
sunshine! wrote:

Is this her latest? I once tried reading one of her books, but couldn't finish it. Maybe I'll try this one. Thanks.

I think her newest is Change of Heart, with 19 Minutes before that.

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 7:46 pm
Maya wrote:
sunshine! wrote:

Some of her books are great, but I also haven't been able to finish some of them.

I love ruth rendell/barbara Vine - same person writing under 2 diff names. barbara vine books are amazing. the ruth rendell ones are also great, most of them, some are straightforward detective stories (about a detective called chief inspecter wexford) but the other ones, crime stories with a twist, are better.

I highly recommend the minotaur, and a dark adapted eye, both writtten under the name of barbara vine.

if you enjoy classic crime fiction, agatha christie is always great!

in my library, they let you order books from other branches. so if they don't have it, ask for it.

sunshine!

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 7:48 pm
I also enjoy John Grisham for courtroom novels

Clarissa

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 8:06 pm
I like Hilma Wolitzer, Laurie Colwin, Mona Simpson, Jane Austin, John Updike, Virginia Woolf, Ann Beattie, Mary Gordon and many others. I love Salinger's short stories. Some of my favorite books are:

In the Flesh by Hilma Wolitzer
Memoirs of an Ex-Prom Queen by Alix Kates Shulman
Diary of a Mad Housewife by Sue Kaufman
Cowboys are My Weakness by Pam Houston
The Hours by Michael Cunningham

I could go on and on and on.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 8:13 pm
I started reading Maeve Binchy. They are nice light reads. So far I like The Glass Lake the best and the Scarlet Feather.

cassandra

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 8:32 pm
What do you like? Popular or more literary? (or a little bit of both?)

MommyLuv

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 8:33 pm
by Anita Shreve: I read Body Surfing, All He Ever Wanted, and The Pilot's Wife. Enjoyed them all, to varying degrees.

Barbara Kingsolver, anything she writes is bound to be great, she is amazing.

Maya

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 8:39 pm
cassandra wrote:
What do you like? Popular or more literary? (or a little bit of both?)

I like both, it depends on my mood.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll definitely write them down and check them out. Keep 'em comin'.

MommyLuv

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 8:43 pm
Alice Munro

Allegra Goodman -her book "intuition' is a must-read

Maya

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 1:23 pm
Thanks, everyone.

For now I checked out Memoirs of an Ex-Prom Queen, Anita Shreve "Where or When" and one of Maeve Binchy's. I"ll let you know how I like them.

bluei

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 1:43 pm
One really great tool which I often use is this Book Suggester. Once you find a book you like, you can find other books by the same author or similar books by other authors. (Sorta does for books what Pandora does for songs.)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room